MM as a QB whisperer

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah but there have been players who still get to the playoffs with poor coaching. I get why he never got a ring......that doesn't explain why they lacked playoff berths.

He got to the playoffs 4 times, right? Poor coaching and a poor defense can make it very hard. On the flip side Quincy Carter made the playoffs under Parcells. He was terrible.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not likely -- we've already got two more besides Dak in Andy Dalton and Dinucci. That's enough to keep him busy this year.

Room on the practice squad. Maybe they don't have someone that interests them, but I'd always be looking.

quickccc

Reaction score
I am stoked to see how different the Cowboys offense will look under McCarthy. He must be absolutely giddy when he looks at tape and sees the talent he has as his disposal. All he stars are aligned for him, it's just unfortunate he doesn't have the benefit of a normal preparation period.

I expect to see a big difference in tempo, pre-snap movement and route adjustments.

i expect that to remain the same under the McCarthy/Moore duo.- as the same elements you made mentioned was actually the refreshing new strengths
and components that Kellen Moore brought to the offense.

- What i do hope what McCarthy brings that was missing much is a better game manager and in-game adjuster, an more innovative mind as the simplistic
Garrett more depended upon his OC's than offense originating and flowing through him (ala Reid, Payton, McVey, Pederson)
much better decision maker and most of all a much better leader.

- i do so hope he brings a much better scheme design involving his RBs in both the run game and pass game, as that was an obvious weakness
in kellen's rookie year as an OC. as well as a tendency to abandon the run at critical periods of games, (Vikes game just the opposite)

- and maybe it was only my impression that i thought we were much more conservative with games like Saints, Jets, Chicago and Philly.
o_O

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes, the offense that Dak was running was built more to Romo's strengths. Long, developing passing plays where Romo was excellent buying time navigating the pocket. The team rarely did use Dak's mobility to their advantage.

i got just the opposite impression when it comes to how we used Dak's mobility to our advantage.
i thought Kellen did a good job of diversifying dak's pocket passing, and RPO run options -especially within the red zone and goal line areas.

i thought Garrett and Linehan was more committed to having Dak be molded and groomed to what they had Romo for past years in Dak's 2nd year on.
and i also believe some of the issues and bad habits Dak developed was partial at the fault of Linehan as well.
Such as indecision at holding the ball that led to unnecessary sacks. Yet the final games of 2018 marked surprisingly sudden improvement.

Maybe fans may want our QB offense to mimic Ravens way of Lamar Jackson as a run oriented QB, but i for one prefer the Cowboys continue to
mold him much like Russell Wilson, in that he uses his mobility in scrambling and moving to buy time to pass or occasionally use his mobility
in some RPO's and goal line specialty plays.
:rolleyes:

Johnny23

Reaction score
Why ignore the fact he helped resurrect Favre's career so he could choke away more playoff games with his idiotic turnovers.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all love Romo but he was not even at the games for most of Daks rookie season. Mark Sanchez was the QB that was helping Dak the most. Yet another reason to have a Vet QB as your back up that has starting experience. Even thought Mark was not a great QB he had seen a lot and even though he rarely did what he was supposed to do he knew what he was supposed to do. Kudos to ownership for bringing a vet QB in to help Dak with those in and outs.

Correct, Romo was not at those games until he was activated to play in the season, then he sat on the sidelines. I do not recall seeing him helping out Dak any. Not shown on TV anyway.
Yes it is great they have a vet QB as Dalton now. But for more as a sounding board, from a QB that actually understands what is going on, to talk things over. As I think Dak has enough experience to understand pretty much everything. He had that in Sanchez as you posted. But after that, he had no one as they were rookies or Moore.

Last season he had Kitna, so he was able to help as Sanchez did. Now he has MM and Nussmeir in his more natural role at QB coach, plus Dalton.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i got just the opposite impression when it comes to how we used Dak's mobility to our advantage.
i thought Kellen did a good job of diversifying dak's pocket passing, and RPO run options -especially within the red zone and goal line areas.

i thought Garrett and Linehan was more committed to having Dak be molded and groomed to what they had Romo for past years in Dak's 2nd year on.
and i also believe some of the issues and bad habits Dak developed was partial at the fault of Linehan as well.
Such as indecision at holding the ball that led to unnecessary sacks. Yet the final games of 2018 marked surprisingly sudden improvement.

Maybe fans may want our QB offense to mimic Ravens way of Lamar Jackson as a run oriented QB, but i for one prefer the Cowboys continue to
mold him much like Russell Wilson, in that he uses his mobility in scrambling and moving to buy time to pass or occasionally use his mobility
in some RPO's and goal line specialty plays.
:rolleyes:

-Dak has been in the Air Coryell Offense under Linehan/Garrett for the majority of his career. As you know, it's more of a downfield passing attack.

-Moore had just one season, with Garrett watching over him with intense pressure about keeping his job. We saw some innovation at times, but an offense that resembled Garrett's at times as well. We all wonder if Garrett forced his hand at times.

-Moore did add more RPO's to the playbook. However, this was the first season Dak looked reluctant to use his legs outside of a RPO call. He would rather buy more time in the pocket to make a play down the field. Was he trying to protect himself in a contract year? I remember the year prior in the playoff game against the Rams, he refused to take off with his legs, but do remember him taking a big hit against Seattle, perhaps he was hurt and knew moving forward he cannot take such a risk any longer, especially with a Cooper Rush behind him. Dak has taking running almost completely out of his game.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
i expect that to remain the same under the McCarthy/Moore duo.- as the same elements you made mentioned was actually the refreshing new strengths
and components that Kellen Moore brought to the offense.

- What i do hope what McCarthy brings that was missing much is a better game manager and in-game adjuster, an more innovative mind as the simplistic
Garrett more depended upon his OC's than offense originating and flowing through him (ala Reid, Payton, McVey, Pederson)
much better decision maker and most of all a much better leader.

- i do so hope he brings a much better scheme design involving his RBs in both the run game and pass game, as that was an obvious weakness
in kellen's rookie year as an OC. as well as a tendency to abandon the run at critical periods of games, (Vikes game just the opposite)

- and maybe it was only my impression that i thought we were much more conservative with games like Saints, Jets, Chicago and Philly.
o_O
It seemed liked the Cowboys opened up the 2019 with one offense and then morphed back to the old line em up and dominate style of play. Moore I believe is an an innovative offensive mind. McCarthy will not feel threatened by turning the cat loose. As you stated, game management and in-game adjustments will improve as well under a McCarthy team of coaches.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He got to the playoffs 4 times, right? Poor coaching and a poor defense can make it very hard. On the flip side Quincy Carter made the playoffs under Parcells. He was terrible.
Deshaun Watson made it last season with one of the worst head coaches in the league.

Flamma

Reaction score
Deshaun Watson made it last season with one of the worst head coaches in the league.

Hasn't he been the coach since 2014? I think Houston had a winning season every year except for one. It's not just Watson. Houston made the playoffs with Hoyer, Mallet, Osweiler, even Weeden started and won a game or two. Outside of Watson Houston has been rotating a bum gauntlet of QBs and still managed to make the playoffs or have a winning season.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We are all aware of the long list of great QB's MM has worked with in his career, most recently he helped develop Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. Yes, Rodgers came into this league with tremendous talent, but so have many others, a small list end up being hall of fame QB's, which Rodgers certainly will be. It was under MM watch and scheme that made Rodgers into the player he is today.

Now Dak isn't as physically gifted as an Aaron Rodgers, but MM has helped lesser talent thrive in this league at the position; Gannon, A. Brooks, M. Hasselbeck to name a few. He has a very successful track record with developing QB's. Let's be honest, Dak has worked with several QB coaches who don't have any close to MM's resume. Outside of Kitna, who was excellent helping young QB's out as a player, Dak really has had several unproven coaches. Many would argue Mark Sanchez helped Dak out the most in his early development.

Dak isn't a finished product by any means. Many forget that Romo sat on the sidelines for 2 full seasons learning the position, while Dak was thrown into the fire and performed so well, he actually stole Romo's job away from him. Nobody envisioned Dak even taking 1 rep as a rookie, yet the perfect storm happened and he seized his opportunity.

MM is the type of coach that potentially can take Dak's development to another level. Many will argue Dak is solid, but no where near elite by any means. We see post after post everyday here about him being not worth the money, that Dalton could be better at a lower cost, etc. MM chose this job specifically due to working with Dak Prescott. He could of went to the Giants, Browns who have young QB's, but decided to come to Dallas. Yes, he sees something special with Dak Prescott, if he believes this, the best is yet to come!

The guy is just a REAL offensive minded coach. All he does is put his players, including the QB in the best position to play his best football.

morat1959

Reaction score
MM can whisper, talk, shout or yell at Dak but it will have no influence on his play. What you see is what you get....average at best.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The guy is just a REAL offensive minded coach. All he does is put his players, including the QB in the best position to play his best football.

I think we are all excited to see what MM can do with this offensive talent, including Dak Prescott. Heard that MM and Moore were already designing plays to integrate Lamb into their offense on day 1 after the draft.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Big Mike is gonna be drafting/signing QBs, developing those guys, and getting comp picks or draft picks.

Can McCarthy get Dak playing at an elite level?

quickccc

Reaction score
-Dak has been in the Air Coryell Offense under Linehan/Garrett for the majority of his career. As you know, it's more of a downfield passing attack.

-Moore had just one season, with Garrett watching over him with intense pressure about keeping his job. We saw some innovation at times, but an offense that resembled Garrett's at times as well. We all wonder if Garrett forced his hand at times.

-Moore did add more RPO's to the playbook. However, this was the first season Dak looked reluctant to use his legs outside of a RPO call. He would rather buy more time in the pocket to make a play down the field. Was he trying to protect himself in a contract year? I remember the year prior in the playoff game against the Rams, he refused to take off with his legs, but do remember him taking a big hit against Seattle, perhaps he was hurt and knew moving forward he cannot take such a risk any longer, especially with a Cooper Rush behind him. Dak has taking running almost completely out of his game.

i never got that impression that Dak was trying to "protect himself" as you're implying that he had to have had some kind of hidden self agenda that best served his future financial stance - and that's out right ridiculous and an insult to his competitiveness and leadership.
But oh well, i guess the beat goes on with Dak-like conspiracies here .

i saw a run game and scheme that was Garrett like in that was unimaginative, bland and predictable. i can admire a desire for return physical mash mentality
among the OL and zeke- but some aspects
All they seem to want to do was run up the gut middle with Zeke, ala Emmitt Smith. and i didnt care for having many of Zeke's carries coming
out of sprint-delay draws out of RPO's formations vs giving him a deep hand off from QB under center, to better ultilize his vision and build up momentum.

i continue to presume that the previous coaching staff had a plan in adding bulk to Zeke in an effort to make him more of a bell cow pounder and grinder
and lesser of the splash play maker he came into the NFL in 2016. With a pandemic crisis on hand, i dunno if the new staff has had a chance to evaluate and
address how to " physically" get Zeke back closest to that 2016 form.

Some here keep insisting that a lack of training camp was the cause for sudden loss of breakaway ability for zeke, but that had already started under way,
in 2018 with Zeke only having one run play of over 40+ yrds.

Dre11

Reaction score

not really accurate, 2016, the cowboys was one of the top teams using rpos under Linehan. they were already in the playbook

Cowboyny

Reaction score
i never got that impression that Dak was trying to "protect himself" as you're implying that he had to have had some kind of hidden self agenda that best served his future financial stance - and that's out right ridiculous and an insult to his competitiveness and leadership.
But oh well, i guess the beat goes on with Dak-like conspiracies here .

i saw a run game and scheme that was Garrett like in that was unimaginative, bland and predictable. i can admire a desire for return physical mash mentality
among the OL and zeke- but some aspects
All they seem to want to do was run up the gut middle with Zeke, ala Emmitt Smith. and i didnt care for having many of Zeke's carries coming
out of sprint-delay draws out of RPO's formations vs giving him a deep hand off from QB under center, to better ultilize his vision and build up momentum.

i continue to presume that the previous coaching staff had a plan in adding bulk to Zeke in an effort to make him more of a bell cow pounder and grinder
and lesser of the splash play maker he came into the NFL in 2016. With a pandemic crisis on hand, i dunno if the new staff has had a chance to evaluate and
address how to " physically" get Zeke back closest to that 2016 form.

Some here keep insisting that a lack of training camp was the cause for sudden loss of breakaway ability for zeke, but that had already started under way,
in 2018 with Zeke only having one run play of over 40+ yrds.

-You know me all enough to know I am one of the Dak's supporters out there. I am telling you what I have seen, there were big running lanes at times and he chose to pass the football rather then take off and run with the football, like he has done so many times in the past. We can all speculate as fans why such a change. Could be from him, could be from the coaching staff. Russell Wilson is different then many other mobile QB's as he has an uncanny ability to never absorb any hits.

-Yes, there was definitely a change in Zeke's frame since he has been a rookie. He has added more bulk, more strength. Was this his doing or did the prior staff want him to add more weight on his frame to be able to hold up as an in between the tackles, power runner? Just like above, all we can do is speculate. When I think of a wco type of back, it's less about power more about quickness. He have heard the term, one cut and go. I believe this new staff wants Zeke to return to that rookie form, one who can not only challenge opposing teams with his power, but also with his speed. He is going to have to transform his body to return to form.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
not really accurate, 2016, the cowboys was one of the top teams using rpos under Linehan. they were already in the playbook

True they were there early on in Dak's career, but as he developed less and less were being called by Linehan.

quickccc

Reaction score
-You know me all enough to know I am one of the Dak's supporters out there. I am telling you what I have seen, there were big running lanes at times and he chose to pass the football rather then take off and run with the football, like he has done so many times in the past. We can all speculate as fans why such a change. Could be from him, could be from the coaching staff. Russell Wilson is different then many other mobile QB's as he has an uncanny ability to never absorb any hits.

-Yes, there was definitely a change in Zeke's frame since he has been a rookie. He has added more bulk, more strength. Was this his doing or did the prior staff want him to add more weight on his frame to be able to hold up as an in between the tackles, power runner? Just like above, all we can do is speculate. When I think of a wco type of back, it's less about power more about quickness. He have heard the term, one cut and go. I believe this new staff wants Zeke to return to that rookie form, one who can not only challenge opposing teams with his power, but also with his speed. He is going to have to transform his body to return to form.

Implying that Dak is trying to deciding when/if he should use his mobility to buy time for a spot in the passing game, is different than implying that he is trying to preserve his body because he is thinking about a future mega contract. i won't understand why the contract mention you made ever needed to come up .unless
there is a question of his competitiveness and agenda.
Dak like Russell, uses both his ability to scramble to buy time to find receiving targets in the pass game, as well as taking off when he feels there are no open receivers, a tough questionable throw is not necessary and there's open field to venture up field and towards a first down.

That is their style, that's their knack, that's what they do.That is their improvising on the run thought process.
They pick their spots when to take off downhill, when to scramble just enough to buy time to find pass targets, keep his receivers involved in pass game.
Pick their spots and occasions to sacrifice their bodies to head on collisions and they induce smart ways of scrambling uphill to run out of bounds or
slide before a collision.

How moore is playing Dak, and how dak chooses his spot to take hits is Perfectly how i prefer to see Dak as a runner without taking excessively more
punishment and pounding.
:omg:

quickccc

Reaction score
-

it would be hard for me to believe that the additional bulk added to Zeke since 2018, was a result made by him,. The better served NFL Trainers and coaches
have strict plans and measurements that includes training regiments, dieting, that they expect players to abide by.
There are ways to try to sustain power without increasing siginifcant bulk and weight. The one thing that is no longer speculation is Zeke at this state, no longer
has previous breakaway splash plays he came into the NFL in 2016.
:omg: