Twitter: MM says McGovern starts at LG Sunday (Clarence Hill Jr)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Clarence lied about saying Mike told him?
Clarence Hill is not know for accuracy; although, it's generally due to incompetence more than lying.

Clarence Hill & Terry Bradshaw...couldn't spell CAT if you spotted them the C and the A.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not qualified to say that Conner has sucked, but he has had some issues, nor and I qualified to say Mcgovern will be better, but trusting some of you on the forum I think he has a good chance to be... He certainly looks stronger this much I know.. I'm excited though to see how it pans out because this could really make us deadly if he is very good. I know you guys bag on Biadasz but he is a monster in the run game and very athletic..

There are trade-offs between CM and CW. If it was a clear cut decision they would have done it before now.
  • Comparison
    • CW is uber quick to get 2nd level blocks.
    • CM has more power but slow feet in comparison to CW.
    • CM would never be considered to start at OT, college or NFL.
    • CW is good at picking up and passing off stunts.
    • We'll see how well CM does in that regard; although, most fans won't know.
    • It requires game review to really know how an OLineman performed.
    • The concern is getting a La'el at LG type performance.
    • Fans loved La'el pancaking defenders but didn't see the huge number of failed 2nd level blocks and mistakes in the run game.
  • Quickness vs Power
    • Don't forget that Larry Allen could beat most OLinemen in a footrace in addition to being stronger than everybody.
    • The modern era has moved even more towards quickness for OLinemen.
    • The zone blocking scheme was only heavily utilized by 1 team in the Nineties.
    • Now, all teams use it to some extent.
    • A critical element of zone is blocking while moving laterally.
    • The ZBS is why you see less lard-arse type DTs in the modern era.
    • Gilbert Brown types would struggle vs Zone Run Blocking.

Blurb from a Draft Report on Tyler Biadasz:
Limited Athleticism: He played in an offense that requires much of their damage to be done in the box. A part of a heavy run-oriented attack, but when running screens or when he’s required to attack the perimeter to execute certain blocks, there’s a bit of a delay involved. He can’t be consistently relied upon to be able to execute blocks on the move outside of the box. Active second and third level defenders scraping over the top have had success against him.

Brooksey

Reaction score
Killer? What game did they lose because of his penalties? Calling his penalties a killer is an overreaction. No penalties against your team are convenient but no one is perfect. He's not costing us games so I think the criticism is a bit overdone.

There's been numerous drive killers/stalling holding calls but I do believe Connor is a starting NFL guard who's 25 years old and I like him. Some of the penalties called were ticky tac.
In Fish's piece he said "The front office" believes they maybe just targeting #52. I think this holding call situation plus the cap next year played into the decision if McGovern starts.

I don't think it's because McGov is better, IMO

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Clarence Hill is not know for accuracy; although, it's generally due to incompetence more than lying.

Clarence Hill & Terry Bradshaw...couldn't spell CAT if you spotted them the C and the A.
Hill is too emotional.

J_Allen

Reaction score

You can see the dummy looking ready to cry in this video. I think he had already gotten his *** chewed for his unacceptable play for the 10th straight game.

I hope he never plays another down in Dallas.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Killer? What game did they lose because of his penalties? Calling his penalties a killer is an overreaction. No penalties against your team are convenient but no one is perfect. He's not costing us games so I think the criticism is a bit overdone.

Williams has not directly "lost" any games with his penalties but one could certainly make the case that his holding call on the final drive against the Bucs cost a chance to get another first down and with it eat up a LOT more time off the clock. But we have only lost two games total so that should not be the criteria anyway. The criteria should be seeing if the other can be 1) an upgrade and 2) less of a target for the zebras. I absolutely believe there is something to the idea that players get a reputation among refs for penalties .. We saw it with Kevin Smith back in the 90's. Dude was going to get a PI or illegal holding flag every game when he came back from that achilles injury.. It got to where he basically wasn't allowed to play football. And there have been others.. DEs have mastered the art of flailing in front of the refs when being pancaked by Tyron and a lot of them have gotten some VERY questionable holding calls on him. Ironically I think the time off last year gave the refs a chance to kind of forget about him because we still see guys trying that flop act but to my recollection it's only been called once and that was in the season opener.

JBond

Reaction score
I'm not qualified to say that Conner has sucked, but he has had some issues, nor and I qualified to say Mcgovern will be better, but trusting some of you on the forum I think he has a good chance to be... He certainly looks stronger this much I know.. I'm excited though to see how it pans out because this could really make us deadly if he is very good. I know you guys bag on Biadasz but he is a monster in the run game and very athletic..
Biadasz.... much better player than many believe.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Williams has not directly "lost" any games with his penalties but one could certainly make the case that his holding call on the final drive against the Bucs cost a chance to get another first down and with it eat up a LOT more time off the clock. But we have only lost two games total so that should not be the criteria anyway. The criteria should be seeing if the other can be 1) an upgrade and 2) less of a target for the zebras. I absolutely believe there is something to the idea that players get a reputation among refs for penalties .. We saw it with Kevin Smith back in the 90's. Dude was going to get a PI or illegal holding flag every game when he came back from that achilles injury.. It got to where he basically wasn't allowed to play football. And there have been others.. DEs have mastered the art of flailing in front of the refs when being pancaked by Tyron and a lot of them have gotten some VERY questionable holding calls on him. Ironically I think the time off last year gave the refs a chance to kind of forget about him because we still see guys trying that flop act but to my recollection it's only been called once and that was in the season opener.
Are you the one spreading the lies about the Connors splitting time at LG? How can you want to fire CW because of one flag in the first game of the season? That's harsh. And you have to be delusional to see the games you claim the referees play.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If McGovern blocks better than Williams and avoids penalty, his presence on Sunday will be joyous. Let's just hope that's the case!
We could speak, endlessly, about our impressions of them both and it'd accomplish nothing to affect Sunday's game vs. KC. :grin:

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Williams has trouble pass blocking, without holding and he gets flagged. :omg: It's simple! Maybe McGovern won't have that problem! :grin:

Last edited:

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Wow.. if true this is a monster move either way. If McGovern flops it means the coaches don't know what they're watching in practice and if he balls out it means they took 10 weeks to see what most of us saw in September.

....or it means regardless of how McGovern plays the coaches are tired of Williams' s--t.