MMQB (Breer) - NFL Draft Rumors Start in Cleveland, Where No. 1 Overall Pick is No Sure Thing

Plankton

Reaction score
Some good draft stuff here:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/12/cleveland-browns-nfl-draft-rumors-quarterback-mmqb

Today’s an important day for the Browns. Wyoming’s Josh Allen is in Berea, Ohio, the final of the draft’s Big 4 quarterbacks to visit the team facility and make his case to be the No. 1 overall pick in 14 days.

And rumblings growing louder in scouting circles have lead many to believe Allen will walk through those doors with a lead.

My understanding, and I’ve heard this from multiple people: Cleveland has not made a final call. The team’s scouts returned from the road Tuesday, started draft meetings Wednesday, and there’s still discussion to be had. One person who knows GM John Dorsey well explained it like this: “I know John likes (Sam) Darnold, and I know he likes Allen’s talent. It’ll come down to this: Who do they trust most?”

Darnold’s edge might be there. From declaring he wanted to go to Cleveland, to the stories of his teammates showing up in the rain for his pro day, to flying back to Los Angeles to throw for USC tailback Ronald Jones at the Trojans’ second pro day, just about everything about Darnold screams franchise quarterback. It’s the kind of force of nature a cultural sea change could be centered.

But is the tide turning?

The Jets, picking third, had nothing on the books with Darnold as of April 1. That’s changed. He’s set for a visit with them now—one of two he’ll make in Jersey, with the Giants (picking second) on the docket for next week. Darnold also has plans to work out for the Bills, a prime candidate to deal up from 12th, in Los Angeles on Friday.

At the very least, all three are preparing for the chance that Darnold is on the board after the first pick is made, as they should be. So where two weeks ago this race was thought to be over, now these teams are proceeding as if it’s back on. And while there’s support for both Darnold and Allen among the Browns staff, I’ve heard they aren’t the only two QBs Dorsey plans to discuss during the meetings for the No. 1 overall spot.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
The QBs are making this an interesting draft. So many teams need a QB and all the QBs have major question marks.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I got watching LVE's game versus Wyoming today, and I couldn't help but pay attention to Josh Allen. Dude is trash, and if Cleveland takes him, they're going to set their franchise back - well, only a year or two, because they'll probably have another #1 overall pick by then.

A couple plays that stood out to me:

4:51 - goes full pocket statue mode and never sees the rush coming. There's got to be a clock in your head - after 4 seconds in the pocket, you've got to at least move off your initial drop spot.

5:35 - wants the shot down the sideline, underthrows it so bad he hits the DB's shoe.

7:25 - looks like something I'd try to do if I was screwing off on Madden. Get that ball out of there.

There's plays like 5:05 that will get NFL GMs drooling, where he spins out of a sack and just bullets a ball 30 yards right on the spot. But he's nothing but a tools guy hurling right now. There's not much accuracy, and as Dan Orlovsky said in a video, "no repeatable process" from play to play. Being able to play outside of structure is a big plus, but you've got to be able to play within that structure first. Allen is pretty much just street-balling it right now, and that won't work for long in the NFL.

And I just kept the video rolling, 7:41 right after 7:25 is a bad play as well. He's pump-faking and looking to press for a big play and just never sees the rush coming.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
FWIW, I don't think Darnold is the guy for the job either. He shows some franchise QB traits, but he makes some poor decisions every so often and has a couple arm punts every game to nowhere. I'm not a big QB mechanics snob - if you get the ball to the target, I don't care how you do it - but his inconsistent accuracy and Hot Wheels loop release that telegraphs his throws would really have me worried. The last guy I saw consistently dialing up arm punts like that was Connor Cook, and he's now a 3rd stringer.

Honestly, I think Josh Rosen is your only decent QB prospect in your draft. He's just so polished technically, there's very little risk in his evaluation.

Rayman70

Reaction score
FWIW, I don't think Darnold is the guy for the job either. He shows some franchise QB traits, but he makes some poor decisions every so often and has a couple arm punts every game to nowhere. I'm not a big QB mechanics snob - if you get the ball to the target, I don't care how you do it - but his inconsistent accuracy and Hot Wheels loop release that telegraphs his throws would really have me worried. The last guy I saw consistently dialing up arm punts like that was Connor Cook, and he's now a 3rd stringer.

Honestly, I think Josh Rosen is your only decent QB prospect in your draft. He's just so polished technically, there's very little risk in his evaluation.
yup..its all about his release. Its not pro friendly. IMO...the most ready to play now is Mayfield..period. I hear scouts love Rosen. I would be very cautious with him. Not sold on him at this level.

Aven8

Reaction score
yup..its all about his release. Its not pro friendly. IMO...the most ready to play now is Mayfield..period. I hear scouts love Rosen. I would be very cautious with him. Not sold on him at this level.

As I've stated numerous times Rosen couldn't even carry UCLA. That says a lot IMO.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I TOLD you all Mayfield will go to Cleveland at 1. I am sticking to that. They view him as the most ready to play now. Its way too high IMO...but I can't argue with their logic as far as him being pro ready.Its just that 1 is way too rich. He IS the best QB in this draft though. Allen..love his size and so forth,but man he is very inaccurate. Same with Darnold. That release and throwing motion by him (Darnold)...is begging to get him sack-fumbled a lot. He will struggle as much as Allen or even more. Rosen is the poor mans Jared Goff sort of..but the only difference is he is a pocket guy. Not sold on him either. Give me Mayfield and Barkley if I'm Cleveland. I agree..if they overdraft a guy like Allen 1 overall....they screwed the pooch is total Browns style lol. Tim Couch 2.0.

Sydla

Reaction score
As I've stated numerous times Rosen couldn't even carry UCLA. That says a lot IMO.

You gotta be careful though when looking at records and the like. These UCLA teams were poorly coached. Its a concern but Mora really had issues there at UCLA.

Sydla

Reaction score
I TOLD you all Mayfield will go to Cleveland at 1. I am sticking to that. They view him as the most ready to play now. Its way too high IMO...but I can't argue with their logic as far as him being pro ready.Its just that 1 is way too rich. He IS the best QB in this draft though. Allen..love his size and so forth,but man he is very inaccurate. Same with Darnold. That release and throwing motion by him (Darnold)...is begging to get him sack-fumbled a lot. He will struggle as much as Allen or even more. Rosen is the poor mans Jared Goff sort of..but the only difference is he is a pocket guy. Not sold on him either. Give me Mayfield and Barkley if I'm Cleveland. I agree..if they overdraft a guy like Allen 1 overall....they screwed the pooch is total Browns style lol. Tim Couch 2.0.

They are not taking Mayfield at 1.

Rayman70

Reaction score
couldn't agree more. This crop of QB'S is a tad better than last years crop...but that's about it. Mayfield is my guy. My late round QB's are Mike White and Laletta. The latter may end up better than those first round guys btw.

Rayman70

Reaction score
If I'm a team needing a QB and drafting early in the top 5..I better be damn sure that the QB is a transcendent player or I'm not taking one until round 2 at earliest.

Sydla

Reaction score
No..ok...Allen would be an even worse pick. lol

Nice strawman. I never said taking Allen would be good.

But if Mayfield is their guy, they'd be dumb to take him at 1 because he'll likely be there at their other #1 pick or even maybe trade down to later in the Top 10 and grab Mayfield.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Nice strawman. I never said taking Allen would be good.

But if Mayfield is their guy, they'd be dumb to take him at 1 because he'll likely be there at their other #1 pick or even maybe trade down to later in the Top 10 and grab Mayfield.
That's basically what I just said lol. Dunno if you realize it or not,but we agree more or less. I just worded it differently. Strawman? WTH? lol

Rayman70

Reaction score
If Cleveland takes Allen they are bound to being a loser for another five years.
I agree. In that system,and to draft him that high means your expecting a kid from Wyoming to start for your team. He's is very raw. Its a major snafu if they do that.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Mayfield was practically begging to be a Brown. Why not draft Chubb at 1 then come back at 4 and draft your QB? personally, I WOULD DRAFT MAYFIELD.But if Cleveland really wants Allen...then draft him at 4.