MMQB: MM Needs to Find Answers Fast

Creeper

Reaction score
The answer is they need better players. MM is just the scapegoat.

This season is over folks. Dak is likely to miss 6 to 8 weeks according to reports. Honestly, based on the way he played last night, I am not even sure it matters.

You want to know the worst part? The Cowboys are going to be in position to draft a quality QB coming out of college in 2023 and Jerry will trade the pick to New Orleans for the rights to Sean Payton.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Start by sending Moore up to Jerry's suite and take over play calling.

75boyz

Reaction score
There isn't anything they can do. They completely mismanaged the QB position and kept screwing it up. Its so bad that the team is crippled for the next 3 years no matter what they do. Even if you bring in a serviceable backup, he's not going to be able to play for 2 to 3 weeks, which is half the time Dak will be out. I guess you could get Kap and let him just run around and get killed by week 6 or so. Wouldn't cost you much. They tried to get cute and put everyone on the practice squad instead of being serious about developing the position. They need to draft someone next year and if they give Dak another contract they are even more dumb that I already thought. They have to rock with Dak until at least 2024 and even then its a 40 mil cap hit. But if you draft a rookie then it might be worth it. It should be obvious by now Dak is not the answer. MM is done. The team is in really bad shape. the WR position is a joke. Lamb is a 2 at best. Dude drop way to many passes. He has never been a won and never should have wore 88 let him get whatever jersey he wants. Who knows what Gallup is going to be like, but he is a solid 2. We have no #1 at all. Oline is ok, time to let Tyrone Smith be your swing Tackle or let him walk He's hurt way to much. Need to find a LG. I think Steele is serviceable but need to get the penalties under control. Honestly the best option is to just ride the season out with what you have. Anything you do to try and help this year is going to waste resources because it is not going to help

Good truthful post.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Unless MM stands for Merlin the Magician, what answers is Mike McCarthy supposed to find? His roster is his roster. He didn't even have a say on his OC.

He was always just going to be Jerry's next scapegoat. That's the gig in Dallas.

LOL

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As a start, MM needs to take over the offensive play calling. It may not result in a huge change but, clearly, KM is not up to the task.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Unless MM stands for Merlin the Magician, what answers is Mike McCarthy supposed to find? His roster is his roster. He didn't even have a say on his OC.

He was always just going to be Jerry's next scapegoat. That's the gig in Dallas.

This!!..and sadly I think they will just then plug in Quinn who is a better coordinator than HC or his mini Garrett in waiting Moore, who isn’t even a good OC.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
This is the culmination of a narcissist Owner/GM believing that HE was responsible for the extremely successful teams of the '90's continuing to try to show US that it was HE who was responsible. It's also what happens when said owner is constantly blowing up the egos of guys that haven't accomplished a damn thing in this league, but making them think they have. We all have our opinions about Dak, but it was that same, inept GM that decided NOT to make Dak and his reps prove, throughout the league, that he was worth a $40M contract (they could've EASILY called their bluff, but they negotiated against THEMSELVES). It was also that GM that gave a RB a HUGE contract that even better RB's haven't signed for....the buck starts and ends at the feet of one man - Jerral Wayne Jones.
:facepalm:

Reactions: BAT

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The plan of 'make Dak make up for lack of talent' didn't work out. And now that he's injured, we just have a lack of talent.

What are they going to do? Suddenly realize they have a playmaker on their roster they didn't know about?

This team was always going to fail, because the GM's strategy of 'do nothing and hope for the best' predictably didn't pan out

Absolutely THIS!

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Creative scheming, motivating a team facing adversity and fixing problems have never been Big Mac coaching strong suits.

What Big Mac has always been best at are 2 things.

First, letting his players just go and play and creating very few distractions around them. In other words, he excels at staying out of the way.

Second, he is as as loyal to and compliant towards those who cut his checks as anyone who has ever coached an NFL team.

Those hoping for a dissenting word from the Cowboys' head coach about those responsible for putting the roster together just have the wrong guy.

Big Mac is as loyal to his "superiors" as any human can possibly be.

Loyalty is secondary even tertiary to these traits.

MM is just not a competent HC.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I am not a fan of our executive management (namely Jerry and Stephen) but in all fairness McCarthy brought in most of his staff and decided to keep Moore. He could have brought in another coordinator if he wanted to but liked what Kellen was doing.

The complete disaster that was Nolan was also his hire.

75boyz

Reaction score
Creative scheming, motivating a team facing adversity and fixing problems have never been Big Mac coaching strong suits.

What Big Mac has always been best at are 2 things.

First, letting his players just go and play and creating very few distractions around them. In other words, he excels at staying out of the way.

Second, he is as as loyal to and compliant towards those who cut his checks as anyone who has ever coached an NFL team.

Those hoping for a dissenting word from the Cowboys' head coach about those responsible for putting the roster together just have the wrong guy.

Big Mac is as loyal to his "superiors" as any human can possibly be.

Please visit more often as your past McCarthy GB data truly helped in proving my instinct that McCheese was a fraud and benefactor of coaching two 1st ballot HOF's who carried him.

I might hafta change it from McCheese to YesMan Mike.

JustChip

Reaction score
Remember when McCarthy swore he'd fix penalties issue before this season?

Finding answers and fixing problems is not really his thing.

He just likes to make you think it is.
I don’t know what a coach can do in this salary cap, quasi-guaranteed contract era to impact penalties. Steele commits 4 in one drive, including 2 false starts at home when the crowd is docile. The only thing to do is sit Steele’s butt down & put somebody else in. But who? It takes depth and this FO has constructed a roster with no depth, especially the O-line.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I don’t know what a coach can do in this salary cap, quasi-guaranteed contract era to impact penalties. Steele commits 4 in one drive, including 2 false starts at home when the crowd is docile. The only thing to do is sit Steele’s butt down & put somebody else in. But who? It takes depth and this FO has constructed a roster with no depth, especially the O-line.

Cowboys have been the most penalized team in NFL under MM.

dacoming

Reaction score
Agree 100%........his future as a Cowboy HC could rest on the next 3-4 games. It is not all about losing but HOW we lose.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/09/12/dak-prescott-injury-turns-up-pressure-on-mike-mccarthy

Mike McCarthy Needs to Find Answers Fast
Dak Prescott’s injury calls for an injection of creativity from McCarthy and his coaching staff—for the sake of the Cowboys and of the coach.
Even before Jerry Jones told reporters that Dak Prescott will miss multiple weeks with a fractured joint in his thumb, the Cowboys were approaching the nascent stages of potential, gawk-worthy spectacle. The classic Cowboys stuff that we haven’t seen in years. The kind of thick, multilayered chaos that Jones used to live for.

No one likes to balloon a one-game sample size, but the Mike McCarthy era has already shed most of its convenient excuses. The Prescott injury in 2020, when he missed 11 games, bought time. The defensive coordinator change that following year, moving from Mike Nolan to Dan Quinn, bought time. It was all somewhat dismissable and couchable as the kind of growing pains a team must endure.

I was never a fan of hiring McCarthy, the guy is a buffoon. But in his defense, look at the offense he has to work with. Noah Brown is the #2 receiver and the #1 can't catch the ball consistently or get open. They clearly set him up to fail hoping for Payton next year

Reactions: BAT

JustChip

Reaction score
Cowboys have been the most penalized team in NFL under MM.
Which are the result of poor technique and focus issues. And outright stupidity by players, case in point was Randy Gregory in the 49ers playoff game. Technique can be be and should be addressed by the coaches. But the only cure for lack of focus and stupidity is to hold them accountable with playing time. They did that with CW last year and his replacement was worse. That’s a FO roster issue.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Which are the result of poor technique and focus issues. And outright stupidity by players, case in point was Randy Gregory in the 49ers playoff game. Technique can be be and should be addressed by the coaches. But the only cure for lack of focus and stupidity is to hold them accountable with playing time. They did that with CW last year and his replacement was worse. That’s a FO roster issue.

Every level I played, it was HC who always held players accountable. I'm sure its same for well coached NFL teams otherwise other teams would be as penalized as Cowboys.

MM is very much part of this specific problem.

JustChip

Reaction score
Every level I played, it was HC who always held players accountable. I'm sure its same for well coached NFL teams otherwise other teams would be as penalized as Cowboys.

MM is very much part of this specific problem.
Right. But the culture set by the Jones doesn’t include accountability. Gregory commits horrible penalties and the FO responds by offering a massive contract. Fortunately, Denver saved them from themselves.

I’m not absolving McCarthy. But until this organization changes to be run like successful organizations, it’s unlikely to change.

ShortRound

Reaction score
McCarthy should leave the clownshow, Jerry will ruin his reputation further.