MNF: Chiefs vs. Broncos

Blackspider214

Reaction score
College schemes do not last long in the NFL. They never have. So I doubt it will change.
I won’t say it never will, because how would I really know that.

But none have lasted yet. They make look good for a year or so, but that is about it.

Umm what? The Saints and Patriots have been running spread forever now. And west coast. That has been around since the 80s. It works fine.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I wanted to double check... did mahomes hit t. Hill perfectly in his ha ss and he dropped the ball? I wanted to make sure I wasn’t mistaken, because I thought that only happened to dak and was the reason his stats mostly suck.

Reactions: Ken

DCowboyz

Reaction score
College schemes do not last long in the NFL. They never have. So I doubt it will change.

But none have lasted yet. They make look good for a year or so, but that is about it.

This is true! Just like the wildcat formation. I think the Dolphins started that and it worked well for a few seasons and now it's dead.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I wanted to double check... did mahomes hit t. Hill perfectly in his ha ss and he dropped the ball? I wanted to make sure I wasn’t mistaken, because I thought that only happened to dak and was the reason his stats mostly suck.
No it’s hsppens to all qbs. They just gotta deal w it

lwehlers

Reaction score
man I do not think that our defense misses hitchens right now. he just got dragged into the endzone.

khiladi

Reaction score
This is not revolutionary.

All Jones has to do is fire Garrett and back up a Brinks truck for Lincoln Riley and you can have an offense just like it.

I always recommend this article from last year about Goff’s OC in college taking about why McVay is different for Goff than Fisher in the beginning of last season. There is also a little nugget on Dak and how In Mississippi State, he only had to decipher half the field, which probably explains a lot for 2017 with Dak after this article came out.

Still, the success of the spread in college ensures it is not going away anytime soon. NFL teams, then, do not need to find better quarterbacks. They need to find coaches who have creativity and a feel for what the next generation of quarterbacks can do well.

"When you look around the league and you see people, they constantly make excuses," Franklin said. "It gets really old. 'He played in this; he played in that.' Ninety-nine percent of the time, they have no idea what they're talking about, no clue. They talk about our offense and say, 'He never went through a read progression.' That's all we do. That's all Jared did from the time he got" to Cal.

Goff, having transitioned from the spread to running an NFL team, chafes at the idea that spread quarterbacks have to learn a completely different game. Learning how to take a snap from under center, for example, was a painless process. Dak Prescott came from Mississippi State, where plays demanded he decipher only half the field, and he led the Cowboys to 13 victories as a rookie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.08e2c545be8f

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Concepts last.

The Patriots have been running college concepts for years. Reid took it to the next step.

If coaches don't want to incorporate college concepts now to incorporate young cheap talent quicker going forward, good luck.

This is really not that hard to figure out unless you are stubborn and/or stupid.

Making a system recognizable to the talent worked in Prescott's rookie year.

And then they started making things harder. Let's incorporate this thing I learned under Norv 30 years ago. Wrong.

Coaches today have to think young so they can communicate with today's athlete.

Young kids, and not just in football, always ask "why?".

You have to be prepared to explain. Otherwise you lose them.

lwehlers

Reaction score
glad we did not sign Watkins now he is out with a hamstring injury. he probably would have pulled his hamstring with the cowboys after his first game.

gmoney112

Reaction score
This is true! Just like the wildcat formation. I think the Dolphins started that and it worked well for a few seasons and now it's dead.

What? It's nothing like the stupid Wildcat formation. Lol.

I always recommend this article from last year about Goff’s OC in college taking about why McVay is different for Goff than Fisher in the beginning of last season. There is also a little nugget on Dak and how In Mississippi State, he only had to decipher half the field, which probably explains a lot for 2017 with Dak after this article came out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.08e2c545be8f

McVay is still basically doing the same things Reid, Shanahan, etc are doing except a little less RPO.

His offense is based on west-coast spread and misdirection. The vast majority of the time he's using 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE and he focuses his game based on that. Ton of playaction, ton of motion.

Reid/Shanahan/Pederson run more formations, more RPO but a lot of the same principles.