MNF Countdown reveals Cowboys no longer grade players after each game

OldCoach

Reaction score
Y’all don’t think they break down the film? The grade on the test is much less important than the breakdown of what went well and what went wrong.

Cmac

Reaction score
His name is Booger. Enough said.....
We can laugh all we want and discredit what Booger is saying.....but the Eye Test ought to tell you something. I haven't seen a coach get mad on the sideline.....yet.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Dez Bryant does himself no favors when he does this.

In Prescotts situation, he 100% has an insurance policy if he cant play again.

Dez makes himself look incredibly stupid by not knowing something like that....yet he will sit and wonder why media jobs arent lining up for him.

John813

Reaction score
Well, pretty easy to grade the performances this year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Booger says that under Marinelli and Richard they graded players play each game.

That now under McCarthy and Nolan..

that has been eliminated.

Booger says this removes accountability from players and coaches.

Players do not know where they are in their play.

This was amazing to me. I think I would prefer knowing what I am being judged by myself.

You guys?

What do you think?
if that's the case, then that's bad...

perhaps everyone on defense is getting F-, so why grade them. right?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I highly doubt they don't grade the players after each game. I think the system in how they did it is changed to something that aligns with McCarthy analytics now.
I believe we also have one more QC coach than normal. Its their job compile data

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just because they grade, doesnt mean they share them with players. If they do grade, its probably for their own assessment

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
When Tuesday rolls around, it common practice for most, if not all, NFL teams to watch film and see who makes mistakes and what they are. They really shouldn't need to be officially graded to realize if they messed up or not. They should also know what needs to be done to correct it.

Creeper

Reaction score
Just because they don't grade them doesn't mean they don't hold them accountable. I bet when they review the film if a player screws up the coaches let him know. A grade alone does not teach the player anything. Point out the mistakes and explain what the guy did wrong. If the reports are true that the Cowboys defensive players don't know what they are doing, giving them an F doesn't help them learn what to do next time.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
It’s kind of neat to get graded, but you already know you played well or poorly. So it’s not necessary and maybe he doesn’t want to waste the coaches time putting out meaningless grades

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Booger says that under Marinelli and Richard they graded players play each game.

This was amazing to me. I think I would prefer knowing what I am being judged by myself.

You guys?

What do you think?

Nolan literally said a couple weeks ago that they grade every play as something like excellent, did his job, out of position

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Nolan literally said a couple weeks ago that they grade every play as something like excellent, did his job, out of position
Then obviously Booger missed that.

They have researchers that put their scripts together so Booger probably did not know unless he was told..

Wrong info.

Repeat it enough and it sounds correct.

It's how we elect our Presidents.

:omg:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
It’s kind of neat to get graded, but you already know you played well or poorly. So it’s not necessary and maybe he doesn’t want to waste the coaches time putting out meaningless grades
You would assume that players need goals.

Giving them grades on their play let's the other players know who is playing well to justify one player starting over another.

Starting means money and money and recognition make bigger pay days.

I would expect some feedback to justify playing time and not just some coach playing pet players as starters.

Not to say grading determines starting but the coaches have to have some metrics to make decisions with.

I think.

In high school I worked with the HS football coach keeping a stat sheet or chart of the plays keeping track of 1st downs and 3rd downs and punts and field position.

Later on Friday night's I had a phone number to the newspapers in Dallas with a recording I had 5 minutes to describe the game..give the updated conference standings and quote any leading player performance etc.

Everybody looked forward to being mentioned in the newspaper clip. Then after school was over I would head to the gym to meet with one of the assistant coaches and set up the TV and run the VHS tape of the game somebody shot from the press box.

The assistant would count tackles and yardage gained or lost and by whom. It would be totaled and graded for players. Their total numbers of quarters they played in made the info you got lettered with at the sports award banquet after the season ended.

So I learned what had to happen just at the HS level. My senior year I was given an assistant who helped me and he would take over doing it once I graduated.

I would get a letter for being the stat guy. I also did basketball for those coaches and traveled with the team on team buses. I completely enjoyed it and felt the stuff I did helped everybody.

I met my high school GF who was a cheerleader and she attended all the games and we got tight with each other.

So grading can lead to romance.

:laugh:

lockster

Reaction score
Surely this can't b

You guys?

What do you think?
Surely this can't be true??!!!