MNF has biggest ratings in nearly 30 years and without the Cowboys

RoboQB

Reaction score
Steve Sabol of NFL Films came up with America's Team in the 70s . It was in a documentary.
Buddy, I think I got my facts a bit twisted. Bob Ryan, of NFL Films, was
the one to first use the moniker. (So, NFL Films...Sabol...Ryan...same thing,
you're right here.) Tex Schramm did sign off on it because, of course, he loved it
and saw $$$ signs, I'm sure. Landry despised it.

Looks like I may need a refresher course on Cowboys history...lol
Have a good Turkey Day, friend.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Steve Sabol of NFL Films came up with America's Team in the 70s . It was in a documentary.
you're right here.) Tex Schramm did sign off on it because, of course, he loved it

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
And it was a boring game!!!

People got sucked into the hype.
Justified hype. The two teams from last Superbowl faced each other again. Both are also in the hunt for this seasons trophy. That's not hype, that's watching real contenders fighting it out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Correct but Sabol wasnt the one who first said it. It was Facenda.

The nickname originated with the team's 1978 highlight film, where the narrator (John Facenda) opens with the following introduction: They appear on television so often that their faces are as familiar to the public as presidents and movie stars. They are the Dallas Cowboys, "America's Team".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameri...originated with the,Cowboys, "America's Team".

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Yes it was Bob Ryan, now Vice President and editor-in-chief of NFL Films, coined this for the Cowboys while preparing and editing the team's 1978 season highlight film.

But it was John Facenda the famous voice for NFL films that actually first used it on highlights of Cowboys 1978 season highlight film.

And yes, Tex ran with it much against Landrys wishes. The rest is history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameri...originated with the,Cowboys, "America's Team".

Hardline

Reaction score
Correct but Sabol wasnt the one who first said it. It was Facenda.

The nickname originated with the team's 1978 highlight film, where the narrator (John Facenda) opens with the following introduction: They appear on television so often that their faces are as familiar to the public as presidents and movie stars. They are the Dallas Cowboys, "America's Team".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Team#:~:text=The nickname originated with the,Cowboys, "America's Team".
Facenda was reading a pre written script. He was narrarating the seasonhighlights film. .