MNF has biggest ratings in nearly 30 years and without the Cowboys

plasticman

Reaction score
True, the Cowboys weren't playing but their interests were directly linked to the outcome. A lot of people watched the game strictly for that reason. I know I did. :cool:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
For context...

World Population in 1996: 5.77 Billion
World Population in 2023: 8 Billion

US Population in 1996: 269 Million
US Population in 2023: 335 Million

DandyDon52

Reaction score
the 2 best teams in nfl playing, both were in SB last year so no surprise to me.
The fans at game seemed kinda quiet to me.
This is the first good game mnf has had in a long time, with troy now and buck, calling it.

Hardline

Reaction score
I would love to see the Cowboys start tanking in the ratings and lose 90% of merchandise sales.

Hardline

Reaction score
Blame Tex Schramm.
The Dallas Cowboys will always be America's Team.
You're old enough to know this. Then again, I guess you're also old enough to have forgotten...lol/jk
Tex wasn't responsible for America's Team .

Dakota

Reaction score

Maybe we are losing our fastball.

People are so fickle. It's only been 28 years.

I just read something that said the eagles were in the nfl's 3 highest rated games this year which did not include the Monday night game. They are now saying the eagles are the new America's team. Say it aint so.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just read something that said the eagles were in the nfl's 3 highest rated games this year which did not include the Monday night game. They are now saying the eagles are the new America's team. Say it aint so.
It isn't so.

You know why? Because the Cowboys don't even have to be a winner to be the show. Every current team at the top of the standings is the new America's Team until they stop winning and they're not.

The Cowboys are always a top attraction. Standings be damned. No other team can say that.

It's why the Cowboys are the most popular. It's also why they're the most hated.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Dallas is second

SNF rematch may take the top spot

giphy.gif

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prob so . Fans need to also remember that current MNF is also being broadcast on ABC since the Writers Strike postponed the normal broadcast making MNF more available than usual on ESPN alone. And why SNF has taken over the most watched games in recent years.
Holiday week is also a factor. IMO

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
I’ll tell ya . Troy certainly makes MNF a must watch game every week now.

Just hearing Troy makes it sound like a big game .
I watched the Manning Bros call the game on ESPN2 - more entertaining than the boring Aikman/Joe Buck tandem (they make watching paint dry stimulating by comparison).

gtb1943

Reaction score
For context...

World Population in 1996: 5.77 Billion
World Population in 2023: 8 Billion

US Population in 1996: 269 Million
US Population in 2023: 335 Million
the TV audience is so fragmented now that top shows as a percentage of the total audience is only a fraction of what it was in the 80's.
Despite a steady increase in population the SB total audience has remained the same for some time

Football is the surest thing the networks have now which is why the big TV deals.
BUT as a percentage of the audience it gets smaller by year from what I have seen.

Which is not surprising when you think of all the immigrants from countries that really do not care about american football
and once again the immense competition you have now in all areas of entertainment and bluntly speaking that is what sports is now as well
add the internet and all that and it would be a big surprise if it was any different

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It isn't so.

You know why? Because the Cowboys don't even have to be a winner to be the show. Every current team at the top of the standings is the new America's Team until they stop winning and they're not.

The Cowboys are always a top attraction. Standings be damned. No other team can say that.

It's why the Cowboys are the most popular. It's also why they're the most hated.
All true . Which leads me to my question.

Is the Cowboys national viewership driven more by our fans or those who root against us?

We have to be Americas favorite team to root against .

jwitten82

Reaction score
It isn't so.

That simple, not sure why people don't understand that

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Throughout its history , MNF has always been the biggest game of the week. Then came free agency and it became impossible to predict a lot of matchups bc teams got shuffled every offseason. It’s rarely been a good game for the last few decades. 2023 is the first year the NFL extended flex scheduling to MNF. That’s why we are seeing better games and the brand seems to be back in the spot light. I’m sure Dallas will shatter that record since we are the biggest brand. We just need a marquee opponent in a meaningful game.