MNF: Raiders at Chiefs

Kevinicus

Reaction score
There's no mention of "vacinity" in the actual rule, so I'm not sure what you're quoting.

Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, who is outside, or has been outside, the tackle position, throws a forward pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball

The misconception is the word "vacinity".

That's my bad. I know I have seen the officials not call it for that reason in the past. I guess it was that instance where the officials were wrong.

JayFord

Reaction score
so hows that sack any different than the one you called roughing on?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
How do you not account for Kelce? He runs 5 yards and turns around. Consistently. Put someone on him coach!

Easier said than done. He's so big and can just post up with position like a basketball player. And he can do much more than 5yd routes. He can run all up and down the field. I'd love one of these types of TEs on our team. Athletic, basketball type players who can create mismatches all over the field. Not dorky TEs who fall down after 4 yard catches.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
There's no mention of "vacinity" in the actual rule, so I'm not sure what you're quoting.

Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, who is outside, or has been outside, the tackle position, throws a forward pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball

The misconception is the word "vacinity".

I think this is what he's referring to:

RULE 8
SECTION 2 INTENTIONAL GROUNDING

ARTICLE 1. DEFINITION. It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure
from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.
A realistic chance of completion is defined as a
pass that is thrown in the direction of and lands in the vicinity of an originally eligible offensive receiver.

Item 1. Passer or Ball Outside Tackle Position. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, who is outside, or has
been outside, the tackle position, throws a forward pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s)
have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including when the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or endline). If the ball
crosses the line of scrimmage (extended) beyond the sideline, there is no intentional grounding. If a loose ball leaves the area
bordered by the tackles, this area no longer exists; if the ball is recovered, all intentional grounding rules apply as if the passer is
outside this area.

The first part is irrespective of the line of scrimmage. It could be a screen attempt with pressure in a QB's face. Outside the pocket allows you to just throw it away so long as you get the ball past the line of scrimmage.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
If you’ve been to KC, you’d know why…

Meh. They aren't any nastier than any other 'rabid fanbases' and there are a good amount. Not sure why the refs would ever be afraid of these fans. They aren't going to run on the field and kill or attack the refs. Let them chant and cuss all night.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Could be some fighting in this game.

Wouldn't be a first between these teams. I remember a clip of Ben Davidson spearing Len Dawson when he was down well after the play, and it all broke loose. :laugh:

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I feel sorry for the refs. With the way the new rules are it’s like rolling the dice on RTP. I like Aikmans idea that they should be reviewable. Even then they’ll just have to flip a coin.

I hear what you're saying but these guys are trained to interpret the runes. The Chris Jones call was so outside what roughing is it’s comical. Just like the Brady thing. The refs need to let defenders tackle a QB. If they can’t they should be scared

Dallasfann

Reaction score
NBA refs do the same thing. They love playing it up for the crowd like WWF refs. It's pathetic. All these sports are way too much about the officiating these days.[/QCheers.

Agreed. My phone can tell me I need to take a dump but we still have overweight senior citizens huffing and puffing down the field throwing flags on things miles away from them. When they golf not one of them knows where there ball went but they can call a PI from 40 yards away.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I think this is what he's referring to:

RULE 8
SECTION 2 INTENTIONAL GROUNDING

ARTICLE 1. DEFINITION. It is a foul for intentional grounding if a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage because of pressure
from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.
A realistic chance of completion is defined as a
pass that is thrown in the direction of and lands in the vicinity of an originally eligible offensive receiver.

Item 1. Passer or Ball Outside Tackle Position. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, who is outside, or has
been outside, the tackle position, throws a forward pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s)
have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including when the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or endline). If the ball
crosses the line of scrimmage (extended) beyond the sideline, there is no intentional grounding. If a loose ball leaves the area
bordered by the tackles, this area no longer exists; if the ball is recovered, all intentional grounding rules apply as if the passer is
outside this area.

The first part is irrespective of the line of scrimmage. It could be a screen attempt with pressure in a QB's face. Outside the pocket allows you to just throw it away so long as you get the ball past the line of scrimmage.

Yep, that's the rule if the QB is inside the tackle position.

Frankly, I think the game is over-legislated. We all know intentional grounding - just throwing it away to avoid a sack - when we see it. But they've made up rules depending on where the QB is, to allow him to intentionally ground the ball without a penalty. Gotta protect those highly-paid meal tickets.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Agreed. My phone can tell me I need to take a dump but we still have overweight senior citizens huffing and puffing down the field throwing flags on things miles away from them. When they golf not one of them knows where there ball went but they can call a PI from 40 yards away.
How much do they make? I could do that.