Mock 2.0

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Our needs are S, OT, LB, DT, OG CB

2nd rd South Carolina 6’5 305” OT Jamon Meredith
This versatile lineman can play guard and both tackle positions. He threw 31 reps up on the bench and has good feet. His stock is soaring but we should be able to nab him here.

3rd rd LSU 6’7 364 OG Herman Johnson
Johnson's quick feet give him stellar lateral movement along the line. Such versatility allows Johnson to play either guard or tackle, but he started all 14 games for the Tigers at left guard as a junior in 2007. He started 10 games at guard as a sophomore as well, so Johnson has the experience to step in and make an impact at the next level right away. The left side of our line is set for the next 10 years.

4th rd Notre Dame 6’2 212 SS David Bruton
Underrated physical safety that can lay the wood. He has the potential to be one of the best gunner in the league on special teams right away and he is a very smart player and one thing that we need are smart players.

4th rd South Carolina 6’1 252 Jasper Brinkley
Brinkley is a mean tackling machine that could take over the ILB after Brooking retire. In the meantime he sits back and learn the ropes from the consummate pro.

5th rd South Carolina CB 5’8 182 Captain Munnerlyn With the exit of Anthony Henry and the move of Scandrick to the FS position we cover ourselves with an underrated corner giving our team added depth.

5th rd (comp pick) Stillmen 6’3 329 DT Sammie Lee Hill
Hopefully this is Leon Lett reincarnated. He gives us depth at the DT position.

6th rd Penn State C 6’1 304 A.Q Shipley
Backup center who Proctor can battle for a roster spot. My moneys on Shipley

6th rd (comp pick) Penn State WR Deon Butler
This guy could be a steal in the 6th rd. He has 4.3 speed and he gets so quickly in and out his cuts that’s incredible. Has nice hands and broke Mark Ingram record at Penn state for most catches

7th rd Nebraska OT Lyndon Murtha
Project tackle that could battle for a roster spot.

7th rd Georgia 6'0 242 FB Brannan Southerland
Underrated Fb that will pave the wave for our 3 headed monster.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Nice mock. Still think drafting a starter (instead of a project) w/the first pick is a must though.

Brinkley will play James spot, not Brooking's. And I don't see a nickel LB to replace Burnett.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
BAT;2684797 said:
Nice mock. Still think drafting a starter (instead of a project) w/the first pick is a must though.

Brinkley will play James spot, not Brooking's. And I don't see a nickel LB to replace Burnett.

What position is a rookie going to come in and start at?

How is Meredith a project?

DFWJC

Reaction score
Are you a Gamecock fan? You snagged three of them in one draft.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
DFWJC;2684829 said:
Are you a Gamecock fan? You snagged three of them in one draft.
I'm a Georgia Bulldog fan. It just worked out that way. All 3 players are pretty good and where there taken is good value.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2684835 said:
I'm a Georgia Bulldog fan. It just worked out that way. All 3 players are pretty good and were there taken is good value.
I agree, just curious. I would take a DB earlier if value was there, but I can't really argue with those pick values if you feel that will cover us.

BTW, I doubt Brutor or Butler will be on the board at the slots you would pick them in.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
I went heavy on the line because lastyear and even the year before that Tony Romo did alot of scrambling to make plays. This year he took so many hits that I was surprise he made it through the season.

I know Flo suffered a nagging injury that he struggled with all year but he struggled a bit in 07 as well. But the number one reason why I think he should be replace is his penalties are killin us. This will be the second year in a row that he leads the league in penalties and imo it sends a bad message to the team when you consistently put your team in bad situations but nothing is really done about it. We are already a team with lack of discipline and Flo imo is the main culprit in that. This should be Flos lastyear in a Cowboy uniform.

My feeling at guard is yes we have Kosier and Holland who are okay players. I say okay because in 07 Kosier was blasted for being our weakest link on this oline. In 08 he had a few great games before he got hurt. Our entire line played so bad when he wasn't there that I think some overvalue him because of that. I think he's a decent guard, I think Holland a decent guard but if you have a chance to grab a beast, you grab him and raise the competition. Best man wins.

I just want to raise the competition. Too many guys go into the season knowing there job isn't on the line. If we don't take a T early, Flo knows his job isn't in jeopardy even though he led the league in penalties 2 years in a row. I just want to keep guys on their toes.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2684744 said:
Solid Mock although Bruton won't be there in the fourth.

don't forget that it's the 1st pick of the 4th round

I like it alot golden, alot, my top 2 picks right now are virtually the same, and any mock that has us stealing Deon Butler gets my vote

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Goldenrichards83;2684842 said:
I know Flo suffered a nagging injury that he struggled with all year but he struggled a bit in 07 as well. But the number one reason why I think he should be replace is his penalties are killin us. This will be the second year in a row that he leads the league in penalties and imo it sends a bad message to the team when you consistently put your team in bad situations but nothing is really done about it. We are already a team with lack of discipline and Flo imo is the main culprit in that. This should be Flos lastyear in a Cowboy uniform.

and in any event, Flo isn't getting any younger, the time is now to draft his sure-fire replacement, no more projects

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2684820 said:
What position is a rookie going to come in and start at?

Safety. Especially the SS spot, since Sensabaugh is basically a one year rental. At the very least, an ILB to play the nickel LB spot.

How is Meredith a project?

Merideth is intelligent & a very good athlete, but he is barely 300 lbs. He not only needs to gain weight (approx. 20 lbs, especially in the lower body), whether he plays OT or OG, but he also has been inconsistent (sometimes displays all-world burst, other times looks disinterested & slow, lacks a killer instinct).

Dallas does not need a finesse blocker on a Houck OL.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Anyone else think Brinkley won't last anywhere near that long? I know a lot of mocks have him around there, but IMO he sure looked good at the combine.

I suspect actual teams have him ranked a lot higher than the draft sites do.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
I have no gripes with that. I would walk away pretty satisfied.

ghst187

Reaction score
like the Brinkley, Hill, and Butler picks, other than that....not so much.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2684908 said:
Anyone else think Brinkley won't last anywhere near that long? I know a lot of mocks have him around there, but IMO he sure looked good at the combine.

I suspect actual teams have him ranked a lot higher than the draft sites do.
Clab with Brinkley shedding almost 20 pounds he looked alot quicker at the combine and I think you are right I maybe under valueing him.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
I have been slotting some players and running a mock draft to try to see where some players will fall, I love the Meredith and Johnson picks, but both won't be available in their spots you have them drafted.

Meredith will get picked up because of his upside, he is a player adjusting to a full time position after moving around in college. Meredith has the better upside while Johnson will be the better pro, IMO, he has the sizem, strength and agility to play any position, including LT if he were to lose some weight.

If Johnson or Meredith is there at 51, I will personally be PO'ed if we don't select them.

I would also like to see some small school stars in this draft from the S position. Bruton will be taken in the 3rd round so I think that looking at a developmental guys like Chip Vaughn or Rutgers' CB or FS Kevin Barnes later.

I would also like to see a QB be drafted in the 5th rounds or later.

Brinkley will have to be drafted in the 3rd round at our current slot, IMO, he is shooting up draft boards and will be overdrafted by another 3-4 team, he can become our James Farrior or Tedy Bruschi, except learn from two solid LB's James and Brooking.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I think Meredith would be a great pick. He's already very strong in his upper body. He is at 304 right now. He could probably play at 310-315. You don't have to be 320+ to play LT. He needs some more girth and leg strength, but the trainers can put it on him. He went from 289 to 304. Let's see if he's at 310 at his pro day. He would be much better in the run game at 310-315. You could run that toss play to the left that Colombo and Davis run to the right. Felix Jones.

Dallas isn't going to get the first round LTs, and this is a guy that has the skills to do it. Sure, he needs some polishing, but LTs don't grow on trees. After Meredith, you will not find an athletic LT with some pop in this draft. Unless, he's at a small school, and it's hard to keep these guys hidden.

I still like Herman Johnson. I just don't know how Dallas feels about him. Do they view him as a rightside player?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
41gy#;2685657 said:
I think Meredith would be a great pick. He's already very strong in his upper body. He is at 304 right now. He could probably play at 310-315. You don't have to be 320+ to play LT. He needs some more girth and leg strength, but the trainers can put it on him. He went from 289 to 304. Let's see if he's at 310 at his pro day. He would be much better in the run game at 310-315. You could run that toss play to the left that Colombo and Davis run to the right. Felix Jones.

Dallas isn't going to get the first round LTs, and this is a guy that has the skills to do it. Sure, he needs some polishing, but LTs don't grow on trees. After Meredith, you will not find an athletic LT with some pop in this draft. Unless, he's at a small school, and it's hard to keep these guys hidden.

I still like Herman Johnson. I just don't know how Dallas feels about him. Do they view him as a rightside player?

Merideth is very athletic and has terrific measurables (more impressed w/his intelligence), but it does not equate to game performance.

Merideth does not play strong, nasty, sometimes not even fast. He is a reach blocker, so tends to overextend, does not have a punch at all. Attitude & game is better suited to a zone blocking scheme IMO.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
BAT;2685678 said:
Merideth is very athletic and has terrific measurables (more impressed w/his intelligence), but it does not equate to game performance.

Merideth does not play strong, nasty, sometimes not even fast. He is a reach blocker, so tends to overextend, does not have a punch at all. Attitude & game is better suited to a zone blocking scheme IMO.
I disagree with the punch. He has one of the best punches in college:
I think this guy would be perfect for us. He also can play every position but C on the line..
http://draftguys.com/index.php/articles/dgtv_1/ot_-_jamon_meredith_-_south_carolina/