Reaction score
windward;3252056 said:
1. Bryan Bulaga T Iowa
2. Morgan Burnett FS Georgia Tech
3. Vladimir Ducasse G- UMass
4. Alex Carrington DE-Arkansas State
6. Sherrick McManis CB-Northwestern
7. Erik Cook C - New Mexico

My favorite picks here are Carrington and Cook... that's not to say I dislike the other picks (don't care much for Burnett at 2, though), just that I'm high on Carrington and Cook...

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;3257222 said:
My favorite picks here are Carrington and Cook... that's not to say I dislike the other picks (don't care much for Burnett at 2, though), just that I'm high on Carrington and Cook...
pffftt...

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
Getting Ducasse in the 3rd would be sweet, but I don't think he will last that long.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;3257267 said:
I agree with your sentiment.

That figures, you and Rampage have roughly the same IQ...

I can only assume that you saw his stats in 2008, and popped a woody, then didn't bother to check out his play in 09... here's a reality check for you-- Georgia Tech ranked 45th in pass defense in the FBS, allowing an average of 209 yards per game on 61.6 completion percentage, and a ridiculously high 7.34 yards per attempt... they had just 12 ints as a team...

IOW, their pass defense sucked... their run defense was even worse, ranking 68th and allowing a ridiculous 4.9 yards per carry and over 150 yards per game... so he must not have been much in run support either... overall, Tech's total defense ranking was 54th in the FBS...

As NFLDS put it:

Burnett isn’t rated nearly as high as his three teammates by the NFL scouts, coming off a bit of a disappointing season for a defense that gave up big yards

Many commenters have asked what Morgan Burnett was thinking leaving school early for the NFL Draft

Yeah, I want to draft an underclassman who was a stud as a sophomore, then fell off as a junior, with my second round pick... he's got good size for a free safety, and a rep as a hitter, but his speed is marginal for the position (he probably won't break 4.5 at the combine)...

If you were talking about drafting him in the 4th or 5th round, with an eye toward looking at his as a STRONG safety, I could justify that pick... but in the second round??

No freakin' way...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear;3257298 said:

I can only assume that you saw his stats in 2008, and popped a woody, then didn't bother to check out his play in 09... here's a reality check for you-- Georgia Tech ranked 45th in pass defense in the FBS, allowing an average of 209 yards per game on 61.6 completion percentage, and a ridiculously high 7.34 yards per attempt... they had just 12 ints as a team...

IOW, their pass defense sucked... their run defense was even worse, ranking 68th and allowing a ridiculous 4.9 yards per carry and over 150 yards per game... so he must not have been much in run support either... overall, Tech's total defense ranking was 54th in the FBS...

As NFLDS put it:

Yeah, I want to draft an underclassman who was a stud as a sophomore, then fell off as a junior, with my second round pick... he's got good size for a free safety, and a rep as a hitter, but his speed is marginal for the position (he probably won't break 4.5 at the combine)...

If you were talking about drafting him in the 4th or 5th round, with an eye toward looking at his as a STRONG safety, I could justify that pick... but in the second round??

No freakin' way...
I was beginning to think I was the only one who does not like Burnett. He's getting popular on here. No thanks.

VACowboy

Reaction score
The safety I like is Nate Allen. Good tackler and has GREAT cover skills.

silverbear

Reaction score
Hostile;3257346 said:
I was beginning to think I was the only one who does not like Burnett. He's getting popular on here. No thanks.

I always know I'm on the right track when Rampage and DaBoys disagree with me, your seal of approval is just icing on the cake... :D

As I said, in the 4th or 5th round, I'd take a flyer on him, with an eye toward turning him into a strong safety... but in the 2nd round, no thanks... and for some reason, that seems to be where he's currently projecting...

I'll be interested to see how he works out at the combine, and how that affects his draft status...

silverbear

Reaction score
VACowboy;3257364 said:

In the 2nd round, he'd be good value...

Reaction score
VACowboy;3257364 said:

great is an understatement when talking about his cover skills, not so much in man but in zone best in the country hands down no comparison.

Reaction score
silverbear;3258494 said:
In the 2nd round, he'd be good value...

if he fell in the 2nd and jerry doesn't pull the trigger..I dont know what i'm going to do to tell you the truth. Some sites even have Dallas reaching in the 1st.

silverbear

Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3258516 said:
if he fell in the 2nd and jerry doesn't pull the trigger..I dont know what i'm going to do to tell you the truth. Some sites even have Dallas reaching in the 1st.

For the sake of your sanity, I hope you don't overreact...

If I'd done that every time Jerry left one of my pet cats on the board over the years, I'd be typing this from the asylum... :D

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;3257298 said:

As NFLDS put it:

No freakin' way...
whatever you say, grandpa....

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;3257298 said:

As NFLDS put it:

No freakin' way...

If I were to tell you my IQ was 160 would you feel stupid?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DaBoys4Life;3259096 said:
If I were to tell you my IQ was 160 would you feel stupid?

He would probably wonder why it does not translate into football IQ.

The Realist

Reaction score
VACowboy;3257364 said:

Very smart too which comes in handy at FS (QB of the secondary).

They get good coaching at USF (Jenkins, Murphy, Allen)

Another tidbit on USF............

USF's secondary coach in 2009..........

Coached secondary at Cincy in 2007 and 2008 (Mickens and DeAngelo).

For what it is worth.

isawoj

Reaction score
silverbear;3257298 said:

As NFLDS put it:

No freakin' way...

Wow, you really are plugged into the Tech program. It's not like they lost 3 DL to the NFL last year and had DT's playing at about 270 all year and couldn't get any kind of rush except for Derrick Morgan.

Oh, BTW, Morgan Burnett was the 3rd fastest player on Tech's team during Summer training sessions with consistent times between 4.35 and 4.4.

silverbear

Reaction score
Rampage;3259080 said:
whatever you say, grandpa....

Just the sort of intelligent and articulate comeback I've come to expect from you...