Monday morning FA blues

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol..I have missed you, OmerV. I have no problem disagreeing with you, and most of the time I do. But in this case I agree that they don't expect him to perform the way he did in his prime. I also believe his signing would be a token signing, because he wouldn't be as good as Beasley (IMO), and I don't see them cutting Hurns to save 5 mil even if they do sign him (which would make sense to do).
We will have to agree to disagree. He has historically been a more productive receiver than Beasley, and if healthy there is no reason to believe he can’t at least dulicate what Beasley did last year. For that matter, as long as he is even in the ballpark of what Beasley produced that’s still well above any current option on the roster, which alone means would be more than just a token signing.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Side Note: When near 100% healthy, M.Collins is a terrific 3-tech DT. The problems are that he has played through foot injuries every year with the Cowboys AND he had to play 1-tech in 2017 which is not the correct position for him.

Letting Maliek Collins go back to 3T has to be part of the equation. Woods and Covington at 1T are a good combination there, and they will have guys like Ross or Datone Jones that can play both spots.

I think Collins and a second or third round pick play the 3T, with Tyrone Crawford getting some snaps there depending on the opponent.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Letting Maliek Collins go back to 3T has to be part of the equation. Woods and Covington at 1T are a good combination there, and they will have guys like Ross or Datone Jones that can play both spots.

I think Collins and a second or third round pick play the 3T, with Tyrone Crawford getting some snaps there depending on the opponent.

Agree. Collins did play the 3 in 2018. I remember him being terrific in the 1st half of a game late in the season where he seemed to get pressure on every pass attempt for a series or two.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Agree. Collins did play the 3 in 2018. I remember him being terrific in the 1st half of a game late in the season where he seemed to get pressure on every pass attempt for a series or two.

He also had 5 sacks in 2016, which is pretty stout for a rookie that didn't start all the games that season.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Accept it. We are the kids at Christmas who wake up to no presents under the tree each year.

They might sign Cobb just so they can say: "Hey, look, we signed Cobb...remember how good he used to be? What are you all complaining about?"
NO PRESENTS???
•Frederick is back.
•Witten is back.
•Lee back w/restructured deal.
•DT Chris Covington...young...just scratching the surface.
•re-sign Austin
•DLaw at Captains Camp over the weekend...thats a good sign...probably means he's stayin'.
•giants no longer have collins and obj.
Id say thats a helluva good start.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I reviewed some game footage of Covington with the Texans.

Oddly my initial impression was that he "looked" more like a pass rusher (relative to other 1-tech types) than run stuffer. He does play the run well and is powerful but he has more of a Jay Ratliff style of play than an Antaun Woods style despite being a shorter player at 6-2.

He plays with better balance now than in college. He appears to have worked on taking shorter steps to be able to stay balanced and be able to move better laterally than in college.

He appears much more athletic than A.Woods but with similar power.

He has excellent initial quickness but has limited speed when chasing QBs that are rolling to the outside.

He might end up as the best DT on the roster depending on the draft and the health status of M.Collins.

Side Note: When near 100% healthy, M.Collins is a terrific 3-tech DT. The problems are that he has played through foot injuries every year with the Cowboys AND he had to play 1-tech in 2017 which is not the correct position for him.
Great info thanks for sharing bud!. I’d be thrilled with another Rat type player in his prime.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
NO PRESENTS???
•Frederick is back.
•Witten is back.
•re-sign Austin
•DLaw at Captains Camp over the weekend...thats a good sign...probably means he's stayin'.

I'm speaking to FA. And Witten is a regift. Lee is a broken toy. Austin is possibly a pair of socks. If D-Law stays, depending on the price for a toy that works half the time...we'll see.

Fredbeard back-great.
Covington-we'll see, but hopeful

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NO PRESENTS???
•Frederick is back.
•Witten is back.
•re-sign Austin
More experienced LVE and Jaylon Smith. Cooper for training camp and all season. More experienced and hopefully stronger Conner Williams.

Additions are needed as well, but all of these things provide a real chance for improvent even as things sit today.

Kaiser

Reaction score

A full year of Amari Cooper
Banishment of Scott Linehan
Normal develoment from LVE, Conner Williams, Gallup, Dorance Armstrong, Jarwin, Schultz, Taco, LB Covington, Awuzie, Xavier Woods, and Jourdan Lewis

fansince68

Reaction score
I’m torn. Honestly, I would go Cobb.

Geathers has had injury problems in the past. Plus, I believe Cooper could play slot and move a guy to outside WR.

I feel Frazier could fill in at SS if needed

Same here. Would love to sign both players and scratch off two needs

I see us getting the project 4th OT late or in UDFA. Depends on how likely we are to reup Collins. Fleming could fill in nicely next year.

If we sign these guys, it’s defensive line all day the rest of the way
Frazier hits like a Mack truck but is a liability in coverage. The Cowboys are just a few of the teams that lean on the run game. It almost to the point where you need 2 FS for each play.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Honest offers for everyone!!!

Come and get em while supplies last!