Money ball the QB position

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Totally want to acknowledge this possibility if it weren't for having Favre and Rodgers as his last 2 students.
I believe both of these 2 are far superior QBs to the current Dallas starter whose achievements came mostly through their own natural abilities instead of a great deal of coaching up.
My standing question remains is that is McCarthy a QB whisperer or did he get carried on the coat tails of 2 first ballot HOFs which the current Dallas starter most assuredly isn't.
Fair enough to wonder who made who.

I think the reasonable inference is that McCarthy did at least some of the making of both. He's not going to make everyone Rodgers, but thinking that Rodgers was really much better and McCarthy held him back seems a stretch. Unlike Garrett on Romo, there's no mass of evidence pointing in that direction.

There's no guarantee that McCarthy is a net positive, but he's a better bet than most.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You think Johnny Football could have been our bus driver?
Well I think your baiting me, lol but I will comment anyway.
JM was a spoiled rich guy who was a star in college without even trying, and partying ,drinking, doing drugs all the while.
So just imagine if he had been mature , no partying ,drinking, doing drugs, and got in the best shape he could , and came
into the NFL with a goal to succeed !

At the very least he could have had moderate success,and made 100 mil over a 8 year career, and maybe even more.

But he was a man child with serious addictions, so no he couldn't have been a bus driver for any team.

It is a shame, as he had the career all setup and he just threw it all away to party and have a good time.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Dalton could have 30mil more in supporting cast than Dak.

Dalton +30mil > Dak?

Seems credible to me. 30 mil to pick up cap casualties gets you a *lot* of value.
I have said the same thing, but jones boys dont have the kahunas to try a bold move like that.

And it would look bad if Dalton did not play well. He is an unknown at this point, and with no PS games
to evaluate him with our offense, that makes it hard to know about him.

Best thing is to let dak play on tag, pull the offers, and make him play the tag this year, see how dak does with MM,
and at same time try to get dalton in some games to see what he is like.
Maybe even let him have a whole game or 2 just to evaluate him.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Unless you have Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, a younger Brady, etc.......money ball the position. CFB is producing more talent, more advanced prospects.

Dak is pretty good, but there is no need to over pay. If another team wants to pay him 40 million so be it. It’s a mistake.

keep the position at 15-25 Million. Keep the core of the team together especially with likely cap reductions upcoming.

This is the way

Great post!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Best thing is to let dak play on tag, pull the offers, and make him play the tag this year, see how dak does with MM,

Problem with kicking the can til next year is that Dak's contract goes up 20% and he's in a contract year, a year away from free agency. I don't see him signing then, and I don't see us going for a 3rd tag in a row.

It's now or never.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Problem with kicking the can til next year is that Dak's contract goes up 20% and he's in a contract year, a year away from free agency. I don't see him signing then, and I don't see us going for a 3rd tag in a row.

It's now or never.
Well they should be prepared to move on from dak, he turned down 35 mil a year, and he isnt worth that, so better to just move on.
But even so you can use him this year if they want to and if he makes it to SB, then he would get what he wants.
But if he did get to or lol win a SB, he might want more than mahomes.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Well I think your baiting me, lol but I will comment anyway.
JM was a spoiled rich guy who was a star in college without even trying, and partying ,drinking, doing drugs all the while.
So just imagine if he had been mature , no partying ,drinking, doing drugs, and got in the best shape he could , and came
into the NFL with a goal to succeed !

At the very least he could have had moderate success,and made 100 mil over a 8 year career, and maybe even more.

But he was a man child with serious addictions, so no he couldn't have been a bus driver for any team.

It is a shame, as he had the career all setup and he just threw it all away to party and have a good time.
True... true.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Going cheap at QB is about the worst idea possible.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Unless you have Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, a younger Brady, etc.......money ball the position. CFB is producing more talent, more advanced prospects.

Dak is pretty good, but there is no need to over pay. If another team wants to pay him 40 million so be it. It’s a mistake.

keep the position at 15-25 Million. Keep the core of the team together especially with likely cap reductions upcoming.

This is the way
A) cap reductions aren't coming and B) what quarterback can you win with for $20m? They don't exist.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Dalton could have 30mil more in supporting cast than Dak.

Dalton +30mil > Dak?

Seems credible to me. 30 mil to pick up cap casualties gets you a *lot* of value.

You guys do realize under your theory, that Dalton is not playing for less than $30mm a year right?

So lets play this out: Dalton is playing for $7mm this year on a one year deal...He balls out...
Tannehill...who played good for about 5 or 6 games...and threw for all of 395 yards in 3 playoff games...just signed for $29.5mm a year...

So it will not be Dalton at $7mil...

If the this plays out under the best case...it is Dalton at $34mil+ as he would want a new contract that plays him like a franchise QB.

erod

Reaction score
how do you figure we get up into the top 5 picks to get the mahomes type sure top 10 trades if a qb falls but even then you have to lose or give u the farm and what if that picks busts? there are no sure things and this isnt baseball with no cap and where most draft picks have years to develop..
Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wilson, Jackson....none of them were top 5 picks.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
You guys do realize under your theory, that Dalton is not playing for less than $30mm a year right?

So lets play this out: Dalton is playing for $7mm this year on a one year deal...He balls out...
Tannehill...who played good for about 5 or 6 games...and threw for all of 395 yards in 3 playoff games...just signed for $29.5mm a year...

If the this plays out under the best case...it is Dalton at $34mil+ as he would want a new contract that plays him like a franchise QB.
any way u look at it, he would be cheaper than dak. a lot cheaper.
I dont know what his top pay was as cin starter, but I doubt it was all that much , so he might be satisfied at 29-30 mil, and that is only if
he had a great year.
Now if he won a SB and played good, then pay him the 35 mil a year.

noletime95

Reaction score
A) cap reductions aren't coming and B) what quarterback can you win with for $20m? They don't exist.
I’ve given names in this thread. Interesting you don’t expect the cap to be impacted by the pandemic. Interesting perspective.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak isn't asking for 40 million so your entire argument is null and void.

And its pretty obvious you have a 1st grade level understanding of modern QB contracts.

25 million for a good QB was about 10 years ago when Romo resigned. If you are going to pay 15 million for a QB you better have the 95 Bears defense and Walter Payton at RB. I believe Bridgewater signed for 20 million you want someone worse then him?
And you are running your own NFL team...lol.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Dalton is playing at 3mil this year, with extremely unlikely escalators to 7mil.

I was talking about this year.

If they wanted Dalton for the future, Jerry should sign him to an option extension reasonable but not great starter dollars. Then Dalton can decide if he wants to make it easier for Jerry to move on from Dak to him by giving him the option.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm coming to the conclusion that you have a drinking problem or something close to it. Is there some other reason to explain your random odd posts?

It's something I have said for a long time. On various forums and various people. Usually to people who think they know football oh so very much more than others. At least in my view.

It's funny...oddly....to watch people go back and forth about contracts....or number of rushing yards is a useless stat.....that kind of thing, ya know?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's something I have said for a long time. On various forums and various people. Usually to people who think they know football oh so very much more than others. At least in my view.

It's funny...oddly....to watch people go back and forth about contracts....or number of rushing yards is a useless stat.....that kind of thing, ya know?

No I get it, you get offended by someone talking very confidently like they know what they are talking about. Why don't you just try seeing if what I say happens or not or how right I am and then decide for yourself.

There are guys on here that really know football and others that don't. And then there are those emotional posters that are biased or homers or have an agenda. Big spectrum. Personally, I like the guys that know their $h!t. To me, if you are not accurate, then what good are you on a forum like this?

I have no problem admitting I pretty much hate Zeke. You know this. However I would never say he isn't a good back or a top 10 back.

No one can be right all the time, but some people get it right a lot more then others. Personally I think most of this stuff is obvious 101 football stuff. It blows me away that so many people don't get it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I’ve given names in this thread. Interesting you don’t expect the cap to be impacted by the pandemic. Interesting perspective.
Yea Cam, Dalton and Winston. Two suck, and one is over 30 and hasn't been healthy in two years.

I didn't say I don't think it will be impacted. I said it's not going to go down.