Moore has McVay traits

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
McVay would not be able to fall a tree without a chainsaw or axe, so Moore has him there for sure

texbumthelife

Reaction score
On what grounds is Moore a "fast rising" coach? Because he molded a mediocre passer into still being a mediocre passer? This is a bunch of people trying to be the smartest person in the room and cherry pick young guys to be the next so-and-so. Otherwise known as the Dallas Cowboys.

Moore as OC would somehow make even less sense than hiring Garrett in thay position did and that's saying something.

RS12

Reaction score
Moore has McVay traits

Your reaching to the point you are gonna break your arm.

cern

Reaction score
A good coach has to be a good teacher. First and foremost. Lombardy, landry, George allen, Joe gibbs, coryell, shula, at. al. Can't leave out belichik. What do his former players complain about the most? He drills it into your head over and over and over and......................

RS12

Reaction score
OP must either be by Jerry Jones or Rudy Giuliani.

GORICO

Reaction score
Similar perceptions were thrown at Garrett and he proved critics wrong in how players would respond to him. Respect is earned. How Moore looks will likely play little part in many of the players' assessment of him. How he interacts, communicates and translates his offensive scheme with the players will decide their mutual relationship.
i cannot disagree..solid reasoning

GORICO

Reaction score
So Moore = McVey?

Whew!

I'm relieved. I thought we were in trouble there for a minute
Dire---yes its called cowboy arithmetic...1..receiver by committee= great pass game.....2....defense has stuffed Zeke all day, run Zeke again up the middle on 4th down= great success.....3...Moore = Mcvey..

SSoup

Reaction score
You just don’t hand the reins of a top tier offense to a completely inexperienced coach. It’s ridiculous. McVay even with those traits wasn’t fast tracked like this.
Were we a top tier offense? I thought Linehan got shoved out the back door precisely because we weren't sufficiently top tier.

SSoup

Reaction score
Some figure since he couldn't fix Dak, he must not know what he's doing...
Dak early this season compared against Dak by the end of the season suggests to me that Dak did improve. Dak's 2018 versus Dak's 2017, on the whole, also tells me Dak did improve in his only year with Moore as his position coach.

Dak isn't broken. Sure, he didn't bounce back to the insane ceiling from 2016. But that was never gonna happen with the lack of receiving weapons and with the o-line hobbled and not intact. He appreciably rose above his floor, established in 2017. (By the way, lost in all this: if that was his floor, it came with a 9-7 record and a passer rating in the high 80's. That's his floor so far? Not too shabby.)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dak early this season compared against Dak by the end of the season suggests to me that Dak did improve. Dak's 2018 versus Dak's 2017, on the whole, also tells me Dak did improve in his only year with Moore as his position coach.

Dak isn't broken. Sure, he didn't bounce back to the insane ceiling from 2016. But that was never gonna happen with the lack of receiving weapons and with the o-line hobbled and not intact. He appreciably rose above his floor, established in 2017. (By the way, lost in all this: if that was his floor, it came with a 9-7 record and a passer rating in the high 80's. That's his floor so far? Not too shabby.)
I want Dak to be the greatest Cowboys QB ever. Unfortunately, he seems lost too often, and he still hasn't developed any touch to his passes. When he wants to throw a soft, arching little pass, he tends to under throw it badly, and the long bombs tend to not get enough air under them.

I agree, he did seem to improve, but very slightly. If he could start games the way he ends them, he could be a special player. But it's like he doesn't loosen up until it's do or die time.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
I only read the first page and a half of this post...and no sense reading any further. Just the same blah,blah,blah.

The way I see it Garrett will be calling the plays anyway. It's his playbook.
Moore just gets a slight boost in position in regards of title...that doesn't mean he gets the keys to the house.

I'm just hoping that Garrett and his offensive staff come to understand the skillset of the players and adjust the scheme to better utilize their talents.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/8/3/5961849/dallas-cowboys-jason-garrett-coaching-philosophy

JGRXXN

Reaction score
if Moore can scheme his own plays great but if he has to run JGs scheme... expect the same ish that's been going on the last 10 years

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Not saying Moore will ever be Sean McVay or that I endorse Moore as OC over other candidates. But before the board freaks out over a potential hire of Moore as OC, consider this. Like MCVay, Moore was the son of a coach. His father is a very decorated 23 season high school coach who won 4 state championships. (Yes I know far different from NFL coach). Literally, Moore’s entire youth was spent on practice field and sidelines. Second, he is the winningest college QB. Ever. He sees the game through a QB’s eyes and he knows what it takes for a QB to win. In college, he played for an innovative offensive coach in Chris Peterson, who was not afraid to be very creative and call trick plays and use a lot of motion. This surely rubbed off on Moore. Third, more than any assistant coach, he knows Dak’s strengths and weaknesses. He’s been his teammate or position coach for Dak’s entire career. You cannot underestimate that relationship. Finally, he was about the same age as McVay when McVay got his head coaching job. Daniel Jeremiah tweeted today that NFL views Moore as a rising star capable of being a head coach soon, like McVay. So factor all this in...

"Dear Jerry,

Thanks for a new scapegoat.

Yours always,
Jason"

JGRXXN

Reaction score
The dislike for Moore on this board is silly - Moore has been talked about as being an extremely bright person and offensive mind since college. This is nothing new, this started back at Boise St. and many figured he'd eventually become a coach anyways.

Stop thinking because Dak stinks that it's Moore's fault - he doesn't have the magical ability to give Dak a great arm and he can't hold his hand while he's in the pocket. Dak had these problems since college himself, those are things Dak will have to improve himself (outside of the arm), there is only so much a coach can do.

Quit reaching for scapegoats to ignore the obvious. It's embarrassing, lazy, and obvious to all what is going on.
you is one funny dude... I bet if Moore can scheme an offense his way you will probably see a huge difference... no QB has ever over come this scheme and I mean none

HungryLion

Reaction score
I just have one question than, if he is so highly regarded in the NFL and College coaching community than how come he has not been offered an OC position before when all these positions were open. I am just curious. Not saying it will be bad or good but just wondering why no one has offered him these positions before.

Well when it comes to the NFL, other teams can’t hire him as an OC without the cowboys position.

JGRXXN

Reaction score
In all serious why is Moore a rising star? What has he done been behind the scenes to prove he has the ability to design, implement and lead a potent offense?

If Moore can run his scheme i bet you will start seeing rub and picks routes

ClintDagger

Reaction score
On what grounds is Moore a "fast rising" coach? Because he molded a mediocre passer into still being a mediocre passer? This is a bunch of people trying to be the smartest person in the room and cherry pick young guys to be the next so-and-so. Otherwise known as the Dallas Cowboys.

Moore as OC would somehow make even less sense than hiring Garrett in thay position did and that's saying something.
I was baffled by that as well. I have not once heard an “expert” praise Moore in that way and to the contrary I read a lot of criticism around the coaching (or lack thereof) Dak was getting.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Wow.....after Jimmy left....the "anybody could coach this team" mantra came out. JJ would be leaving no doubt about it, that he believes such. JJ is like a mad scientist.
well idiot Switzer did win a Super Bowl, that was a hell of a team Jimmy built.