Moore has McVay traits

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Don't judge what you don't know.

Ability to play football and having the mental game for football are two different things. There are lots of qb's with more athletic ability than peyton and brady, but those 2 guys were good with the mental game. Maybe Moore has the mind, but he never had the body or athletic ability for success as as player.

visionary

Reaction score
Not saying Moore will ever be Sean McVay or that I endorse Moore as OC over other candidates. But before the board freaks out over a potential hire of Moore as OC, consider this. Like MCVay, Moore was the son of a coach. His father is a very decorated 23 season high school coach who won 4 state championships. (Yes I know far different from NFL coach). Literally, Moore’s entire youth was spent on practice field and sidelines. Second, he is the winningest college QB. Ever. He sees the game through a QB’s eyes and he knows what it takes for a QB to win. In college, he played for an innovative offensive coach in Chris Peterson, who was not afraid to be very creative and call trick plays and use a lot of motion. This surely rubbed off on Moore. Third, more than any assistant coach, he knows Dak’s strengths and weaknesses. He’s been his teammate or position coach for Dak’s entire career. You cannot underestimate that relationship. Finally, he was about the same age as McVay when McVay got his head coaching job. Daniel Jeremiah tweeted today that NFL views Moore as a rising star capable of being a head coach soon, like McVay. So factor all this in...

I think you mean

"McVay had Moore traits"

:facepalm:

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know enough about coaching to know what makes a good coach. The OP brings up some interesting points. It's not like you have to be a great NFL player to be a great coach. Most coaches are guys who couldn't even get on the field in their playing days. Maybe Moore does have a mind for it. The only thing I don't like about Moore is that he's been "infected" by this current coaching staff. But if Garrett is gonna be here next year anyway, it's not like we'll have a completely different playing style. My hope is that if Garrett (and Dak) are not the answer, we can completely rebuild everything from top to bottom in 2020.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I first I cringed at the possibility of Moore being OC, but the more I think about it, the more I am willing to give him a chance.

A lot of people want a college coordinator in here. A guy with zero pro football experience. Moore has been in the NFL as a player or coach for the past seven years.

Moore is already familiar with Dak and knows what he likes, what he doesn't like, what he's comfortable with; etc. As a young coach Moore may be more willing to open things up and do more exotic things than Linehan. There's talent on this offense. It wasn't broken in 2018 , it was simply stale and predictable.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The optics? What about the facts? Before this season he was in competition to be the third string quarterback on the verge of being released. There was no talk of him coaching anything , anywhere. Now, after being gifted the qb coach position, which he was woefully under-qualified for, he's suddenly being considered a rising star on par with mcvay? They might as well hire me! I've coordinated the offense of my city league team here locally and we won the championship! I'm now more qualified than he is! :lmao:
How exactly do you know they had no plans of making him a coach when he was the third string QB?....and if that's true, he must have been extremely impressive for them to make this decision.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
How exactly do you know they had no plans of making him a coach when he was the third string QB?....and if that's true, he must have been extremely impressive for them to make this decision.

You are right. Anybody that's been around Moore is blown away by his knowledge of the game. That's how he stuck around as a quarterback for so long- despite his marginal at best ability, he was an indispensable encyclopedia of every offense he's been a part of in Detroit and Dallas. That meant he could step into a game at any time and know the plays with limited practice snaps.

Now, if he is indeed the OC, he may have finally found his NFL niche.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
You just don’t hand the reins of a top tier offense to a completely inexperienced coach. It’s ridiculous. McVay even with those traits wasn’t fast tracked like this.
Well....I wouldn't call us a top tier offense either. I'd prefer QB Coach of the Saints. But, if it's Moore...then it's Moore. They know more about him than I do.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Not saying Moore will ever be Sean McVay or that I endorse Moore as OC over other candidates. But before the board freaks out over a potential hire of Moore as OC, consider this. Like MCVay, Moore was the son of a coach. His father is a very decorated 23 season high school coach who won 4 state championships. (Yes I know far different from NFL coach). Literally, Moore’s entire youth was spent on practice field and sidelines. Second, he is the winningest college QB. Ever. He sees the game through a QB’s eyes and he knows what it takes for a QB to win. In college, he played for an innovative offensive coach in Chris Peterson, who was not afraid to be very creative and call trick plays and use a lot of motion. This surely rubbed off on Moore. Third, more than any assistant coach, he knows Dak’s strengths and weaknesses. He’s been his teammate or position coach for Dak’s entire career. You cannot underestimate that relationship. Finally, he was about the same age as McVay when McVay got his head coaching job. Daniel Jeremiah tweeted today that NFL views Moore as a rising star capable of being a head coach soon, like McVay. So factor all this in...

Good post but you’ll get flamed. Personally, I could give a rats *** what our fans think. They’ve proven many times over they know not what they speak of. Just the opposite is the fact.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
tenor.gif

If he becomes the OC, that is what should happen to the current playbook.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I find it amazing how we judge someone's performance before he even gets a chance to perform. I wish I had those powers of prescience. but i'll stack up my hind sight with anyone elses.
That's the funniest thing about all of this. I want everyone of the *******s panning the possible move to raise their hands when they claimed that the hiring of McVay or Pederson were excellent moves by those respective organizations when they were hired. Wait. Not a one? No ****.

OldJarhead

Reaction score

Honestly it kinda makes sense. I mean, Moore would or should know and fully understand the High School Playbook that Dak is comfortable with.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
This is the last chance for JG, IMO.

Should go outside of our team but here we are. Let’s see what Moore does and if he can utilize Dak’s mobility.

If he goes outside of our team then he has to also extend Garrett.

I stand by what I wrote earlier: this means that Garrett will be playing for his job in 2019 and Jerry knows full well that no innovative talent outside the team will take an OC job when the head coach is playing the final year of his contract.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
You just don’t hand the reins of a top tier offense to a completely inexperienced coach. It’s ridiculous. McVay even with those traits wasn’t fast tracked like this.
Were not a top tier offense.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I don’t how good he really is,and I know he gets bashed and laughed at as a moron,but he’s no QB coach and wasn’t intended to be. They just needed a job opening title for him to get him in there without making waves. He’s really an X’s and O’s guy they planned on moving up the chain. That’s the whole reason they kept him around on the PS. He had to break down film and tendencies of opposing teams each week,and help the staff prepare. I’m sure Linehan knew his days were numbered.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
They're nearly identical........when I see Garrett I immediately think of McVay......especially observing their in-game and halftime adjustments.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Hyperbole. I'll believe it's going to rain when I am wet. Until then, enjoy the circus gentlemen.