Moose: "Cowboys Won't Make the Playoffs"

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
They've backed themselves into a corner but there is no guarantee that you will need a 10-6 or better to earn either. The East is likely to beat each other up and there is no clear cut better team IMO. The Giants are not dominate and neither is any other team in the NFC.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
jobberone;2405837 said:
They've backed themselves into a corner but there is no guarantee that you will need a 10-6 or better to earn either. The East is likely to beat each other up and there is no clear cut better team IMO. The Giants are not dominate and neither is any other team in the NFC.
The Giants are 7-1, winning those 7 games by an average of 17 points, and are near the top in every major statistical category.

That's the definition of dominance. Perfect, no, but dominant.

Reaction score
Hostile;2405706 said:
Moose: Cowboys won't make playoffs

by Justin Terranova, New York Post

Updated: November 6, 2008, 4:47 PM EST

NFL on FOX analyst Daryl "Moose" Johnston won three Super Bowls with the Cowboys, but the former fullback doesn't see this Dallas team making the playoffs, let alone winning a Super Bowl.

Johnston, who lives in Dallas, says the city has turned on its beloved Cowboys.

"It's unbelievable. The reversal in the atmosphere of the town from the end of September to the end of October is unbelievable," Johnston told the New York Post. "You had people packing their bags for Tampa (site of Super Bowl XLIII) at the end of September and now they're canceling their reservations at the end of October. It's typical rats off the ship."

The most obvious problem with "America's Team" is the broken pinky of starting quarterback Tony Romo, who has missed the team's past three games. Dallas went 1-2 in that stretch, including an embarrassing 35-14 loss to the Giants in the Meadowlands. Backups Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger have struggled mightily, but Romo returned to practice yesterday during the team's bye week and is looking to start when the Cowboys play in Washington on Nov. 16

But Johnston said he believes the problems stretch far beyond Romo's absence.

"They weren't playing that well when Tony was healthy. They didn't play well against Cincinnati, didn't play well at Arizona. There's nothing to say when Tony gets back in there that everything is going to be fine again," said Johnston, who will be calling the Jets-Rams game for FOX on Sunday.
"When reporters talk to coaches and they're like, 'What's going on, why can't you get this fixed?' it's like 'If I knew what was wrong, I would have corrected it. I am not in the business of losing football games with correctable problems.'

"When it's something you just can't put your finger on, that's scary. One week it's special teams. One week it's the quarterback. One week you can run the football and then your quarterback goes down and you are really exposed. Unfortunately for Dallas, I don't think anyone really knows what the problem is."

The Giants are more than happy to watch their longtime rivals suffer as they flourish. Even with the loss of DEs Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora, the Giants continue their tremendous roll that started with last season's playoffs.

"With the Giants vs. the Cowboys it was a talk of team vs. talent, and the team won out easily," Johnston said.

The Cowboys' trip to Washington starts a brutal stretch that ends their season. The Giants can do their part to keep the Cowboys out of the playoffs when the teams meet again on Dec. 14.

"It's going to be hard for them to qualify for the playoffs," Johnston said of the Cowboys. "The margin of error for them is so slim and they've got Washington, Philly, the Giants, Pittsburgh and Baltimore in their last seven games. They've got to win five of those final seven, so there is no margin of error for them. It will be interesting to see."

According to Johnston, no one involved with the team can escape the wrath of the media and fans.

"You don't have enough fingers down here," Johnston said. "It's Jerry Jones, it's Wade Phillips, it's the offensive line, it's the backup quarterback, it's the special teams, it's everywhere. And no one can really put a finger on where it is and that's the scary part."

Moose is right except that teams are getting banged up like TB, N.O. Philly(Westbrook may miss Giants game with Knee and shoulder). Let's not write off the Cowboys yet.

silver

Reaction score
i love the naysayers. nothing like having people writting us off. flying under the radar. will never happen i know. not with so many stars. (maybe the moose is doing it on purpose trying to light the fire, once a cowboy always a cowboy)

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I heard Chris Carter (ESPN) say that Dallas would make the playoffs. He really believed it. Of course, the other idiots were 'shocked'.

If the Cowboys give Washington a smack down on Sunday night, like they have done to several teams, you have a straight path to have 8 wins in the bank before December.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Exactly, Moose. Dallas wasn't playing very well right before Romo was hurt, and they lost an over-time game and a two point game, which they blew a chance to steal at the end of the game, twice.

That tells me that they do have a strong, fighting chance.

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
He never actually said we wouldn't make the playoffs. I think they twisted his words.

And in his first quote, he never says "Cowboys" or "dallas" ...he may have been talking about any team in general.

Just sayin

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Rampage;2405810 said:
what's your take on the article Hos?
I think mid season is too soon to wave the white flag, but I have never understood French battle theories.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2405875 said:
The Giants are 7-1, winning those 7 games by an average of 17 points, and are near the top in every major statistical category.

That's the definition of dominance. Perfect, no, but dominant.

I understand the stats. I've also watched them play. I disagree. They're a very good team. Very, very good. But the talent isn't overwhelming. And as much as I've given them credit for taking advantage of opportunities, they have a good deal of luck or fate or whatever behind them. They catch a lot of breaks. Some are definitely self generated. Some aren't. Those even out over time.

I don't see them as being dominent.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
i'll say this much...

if we don't win at washington...we will not go to the playoffs.

if we beat the hell out of washington in their stadium..

we go on a roll and the only other two games that concern me are pitt and the eagles.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2405706 said:
Moose: Cowboys won't make playoffs

"It's going to be hard for them to qualify for the playoffs,"
Misquote.

The writers agenda is obvious.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
jobberone;2405984 said:
I understand the stats. I've also watched them play. I disagree. They're a very good team. Very, very good. But the talent isn't overwhelming. And as much as I've given them credit for taking advantage of opportunities, they have a good deal of luck or fate or whatever behind them. They catch a lot of breaks. Some are definitely self generated. Some aren't. Those even out over time.

I don't see them as being dominent.
Stats don't always tell the story, but thinking they're just getting the breaks is ridiculous.

They're winning, usually big, though not always flashy, and they've dominated their opponents in the 2 biggest games of their season thusfar. And halfway through the season, they've virtually eliminated any chance we had to win the division. That's pretty dominant.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
knowing these Cowboys, I wouldnt be surprised if we won @ Washington and layed an egg @ home vs. our next opponent. c'mon guys we been here before, u never know wut to expect from this roller-coaster team.

For the people that cancelled their reservations @ tampa, i dont blame them. we might end up in the playoffs, but our lack of energy - lousy defense - stupid penalties aint gonna help!!!

my 2cents.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Well, we have seen from the beginning of the year that this team does not know how to handle being the favorite - it went to their head - thought they could come in and teams would just lay down for them. We saw that last year in the end of the season and the playoff game.

How do they respond when they are backed into a corner. I guess we will see.

I am kinda 50/50 too and I need them to show me too. I don't worry about Romo, I worry about the Oline.

I will say that a focused and enthusiastic and determined team can go 6-1. I have seen them play that way, it is obivous that they cannot just turn it on. I think it will be a hard struggle against the SKins - but if we win a hard fought battle against them it will propel this team onto some good things!

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Cool. Add Moose to the list with Deion, Marshall, and Sapp as guys who will get to eat their words and learn the age old lesson, once more, that you can't count out good teams at the midway point.

Every year people count someone out, around this time, who then turn around and make a very nice run thus proving them entirely wrong.

Last year, not too much later than this point, they were counting the Giants out and all the Giants did was laugh all the way to a Superbowl party.

aikemirv

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2406624 said:
Cool. Add Moose to the list with Deion, Marshall, and Sapp as guys who will get to eat their words and learn the age old lesson, once more, that you can't count out good teams at the midway point.

Every year people count someone out, around this time, who then turn around and make a very nice run thus proving them entirely wrong.

Last year, not too much later than this point, they were counting the Giants out and all the Giants did was laugh all the way to a Superbowl party.

Yeah, but as Sapp said, we are not the Giants.

If I remember correctly the Ginats were a team of turmoil the first half of the season were they not? Players calling each other out and so forth. Manning and Shockey and Strahan too. Questioning Coughlin as usual. That team became what they were by the end of the season 1 game at a time. Their confidence grew and they came together.

I don't care what NFL Network and some of those guys say. I don't think of the Cowboys as a bunch of names and no team concept. I think just the opposite. I think they really like each other and are not at all a team of egomaniacs. They are just a bit unfocused. The defense - the offsides penalties in the NYG game were a result of trying to do too much. They thought they had to dominate the game - they were right - they would have had to dominate for the Boys to win that game.

By the way the Giants are not the only ones who turned their season around last year. I believe San Diego did the same thing. It is not uncommon at all for teams to make a run through the end of the season. It happens every year!