More 1 Year Deals

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
What if teams around the NFL could just sign top players to 1 year Deals??? We harp so much on what players are making, and how they're not living up to the amount of money they are costing the team.

Instead of having a long term commitment, why not 1 year deals, that way if their play isn't up to par, there's no long term attachment!! Your thoughts....

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What if teams around the NFL could just sign top players to 1 year Deals??? We harp so much on what players are making, and how they're not living up to the amount of money they are costing the team.

Instead of having a long term commitment, why not 1 year deals, that way if their play isn't up to par, there's no long term attachment!! Your thoughts....
I like you thinking out of the box, but the NFLPA would never go for that.

RaZon

Reaction score

Not sure about one year but something different,

I would go with all rookies get a three year deal all making the same amount, done by rounds they were drafted. Then in year four ya bring in the agents and talk actual worth. But only three year deals. So players are constantly being evaluated.

If ya don't like that there is always the CFL or find a real job.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Yeah!!!! First you have a draft so the players have no choice where they go ....... Then make their cheap rookie contracts capped and last for up to 5 years.

Then when they are free of that, give them 1 year contracts only so when we use them up we can dump them with no consequences.

Great idea.

:facepalm:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Needs to be a lockout to put these players in their place and get contracts back in line. The inmates are definitely running the asylum now. Its not as bad as the NBA where the top players are the GM's but its headed there of they dont set it straight.

You already see it starting to happen with Brady and Rogers.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
It’s demand. There are 32 teams and not enough good players to go around.

so if a team offered a 1 year deal, then I’m gonna offer a 3 year deal. Maybe I overpaid, but I got the guy you wanted

Exact same argument as the draft. Why not refuse to draft anyone until the 7th round? You’d save a boatload on rookie salaries.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

If a "top" player is a free agent, and you only offer him a one-year deal, then be prepared to see him leave.

Your plan would only work if every team did it. That's called collusion and it violates the CBA.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Not sure about one year but something different,

I would go with all rookies get a three year deal all making the same amount, done by rounds they were drafted. Then in year four ya bring in the agents and talk actual worth. But only three year deals. So players are constantly being evaluated.

There are also 31 other NFL teams. :facepalm:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Needs to be a lockout to put these players in their place and get contracts back in line. The inmates are definitely running the asylum now. Its not as bad as the NBA where the top players are the GM's but its headed there of they dont set it straight.

You already see it starting to happen with Brady and Rogers.

The talent is what we all come to watch--not the good ol' boys in the suites.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if people in here understand that a contract is a mutual agreement between multiple parties

Nah, fans like to compare their employment to players employment and that's where the disconnect is--they couldn't be further apart.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

How dare they be able to sell their services to the employer who wants them, and leave a job for a better one?

We need iron-fisted rules for ALL employees in ALL industries. :muttley:

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
What the NFL should do is pay on a player's performance & not a dime before hand!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

There are also 31 other NFL teams. :facepalm:

Oh, I see. You're talking about the entire league instituting these policies. Meanwhile, the owners are drowning in billions of dollars.

It's hilarious how fans demand rules for players that they would absolutely fight having foisted upon them in their jobs.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How dare they be able to sell their services to the employer who wants them, and leave a job for a better one?

We need iron-fisted rules for ALL employees in ALL industries. :muttley:

I am all for reasonable pay for services. What they do simply isnt worth what they are getting and its only getting worse.

Have you ever owned a successful company? From the sound of it, probably not. It doenst work when the employees are running things.