More 1 Year Deals

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What Fajardo makes isn't the whole story..

From the article -
According to their financial reports, the Saskatchewan Roughriders produce approximately $40 million in annual gross revenue. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers generate $35 million, while the Edmonton Football Team checks in at $25 million.

It’s believed that the CFL’s gross revenue in a non-pandemic year is between $200 million and $240 million. As such, we can project that the league’s six privately-owned teams average between $17 million and $23 million in annual revenue.

END -

So say someone tells Jerry - hey you could pay your QB $700,000 and year, and the salary cap is a mere $5 million - WOW I'm sure Jerry would jump on that...BUT the second part is that your annual gross revenue is just 40 million.

As opposed to what you have now - 40 million on your QB, 200 million in salary BUT $980,000 million in revenue...

Which do you think he would take.

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/21/the-cfls-business-model-isnt-broken-its-leadership-has-failed/
that was too much for him to comprehend. I tried in several responses to explain the exact same thing...his answer was "but walmart employees make $12/hour"....so I asked how much do executives with their special talent make?....its been silence since

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Understood.
Quantifying said contracts based on not meeting production incentives/clauses was more where my point centered.
In other words, if a players year's worth of production didn't meet a base of positional markers for said position, then maybe a penalty of reducing said salary could be imposed.

Contracts with conditional asterisks that not only paid extra for reaching certain incentives but also penalized for not doing the same.

Merely a hypothetical but it kinda supports my view of matching annual pay for play criteria.
there are conditional contracts. performance based contracts. but negotiations are negotiations and each side is trying to maximize their revenue. so players want more gauranteed money, etc...and if Dallas doesn't pay they go somewhere else, because somebody else is willing to take that risk. the owners have the option to cut the player if he doesn't perform. so the player is incentivized to play well, so he can maximize his next contract and be in higher demand. The fact that we hand out a bad contract to Jaylon, then just hang on to him while he is not performing is not on the player. its on the owner.

again, it sounds like the cowboys fans are the ones complaining about contracts because we have given out more bad ones than given out good ones....but that's a cowboys problem as opposed to an NFL problem. KC handed out good contracts. Tampa did. Patriots did and so on. so the decision maker for the cowboys is at fault for making so many wrong decisions and in any other job, he would be fired....well, we know how that goes.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Who says? You..?

It's 40 times...

And how many can throw like mahomes? Or Brady?

Those guys are great, but they cant do it without the rest of the team. Money should be distributed more evenly. should only be able to max out at 15% of the cap possibly tops if that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As many of your posts that I disagree with, this is one that I totally support. It's just like Ninja and others as to when I disagree or agree with their multitude of opinions, I can appreciate this side of yours.

The responding posts who disagree with your opinion here for quantifying getting paid millions to play a game I recommend they take up a rifle and stand a post on an E-1s monthly military paycheck, lol.

Excellent post.

jmo

:thumbup:

These guys arent heros.

75boyz

Reaction score
there are conditional contracts. performance based contracts. but negotiations are negotiations and each side is trying to maximize their revenue. so players want more gauranteed money, etc...and if Dallas doesn't pay they go somewhere else, because somebody else is willing to take that risk. the owners have the option to cut the player if he doesn't perform. so the player is incentivized to play well, so he can maximize his next contract and be in higher demand. The fact that we hand out a bad contract to Jaylon, then just hang on to him while he is not performing is not on the player. its on the owner.

again, it sounds like the cowboys fans are the ones complaining about contracts because we have given out more bad ones than given out good ones....but that's a cowboys problem as opposed to an NFL problem. KC handed out good contracts. Tampa did. Patriots did and so on. so the decision maker for the cowboys is at fault for making so many wrong decisions and in any other job, he would be fired....well, we know how that goes.

Totally agree with the fact that Jerry hands out some questionable contracts.

But I thought his "If I just pay him more, maybe we'll win" philosophy with player contracts was the standard setter league wide.

No you say?

Hmmmm...

Well, at least he's fun to work for then.

jmo

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Totally agree with the fact that Jerry hands out some questionable contracts.

But I thought his "If I just pay him more, maybe we'll win" philosophy with player contracts was the standard setter league wide.

No you say?

Hmmmm...

Well, at least he's fun to work for then.

jmo
but teams do win. KC won. Tampa won. Patriots won...every year a team wins the championship. every year there are teams that play fantastically. every year there are teams that sign FAs and it works out...

again, I think you are just upset by the contracts we handed out and didn't work out.....while a lot of other teams in the league tend to make it work for them...perhaps its not the contracts, or the way its set up....its the guy who is handing out the contracts....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Those guys are great, but they cant do it without the rest of the team. Money should be distributed more evenly. should only be able to max out at 15% of the cap possibly tops if that.
It depends...how many mahomes are there? How many coopers? So cooper as top WR makes 20M per year. Dak as top 10 and he makes 40....QB is a more important position. its no different than how corporations work. a CEO is more important than a CFO and VPs of divisions and on and on....down to the last guy in the company....

perhaps, it will come down to that and they will cap salaries at x percentage...you never know. but teams tend to sign FA, give out big contracts and still able to compete and put a competitive product out there.....every year there is a superbowl winner and the quality of product out there is still pretty good, although ours lags behind. that has nothing to do with the contracts.....it has to do with player evaluation and the guy handing out the contracts...

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
but teams do win. KC won. Tampa won. Patriots won...every year a team wins the championship. every year there are teams that play fantastically. every year there are teams that sign FAs and it works out...

again, I think you are just upset by the contracts we handed out and didn't work out.....while a lot of other teams in the league tend to make it work for them...perhaps its not the contracts, or the way its set up....its the guy who is handing out the contracts....

Also I don't know if MM is the answer, but in my opinion in a couple years everyone will know how much JG set this organization back (yes the GM is also to blame for this)...seriously he knows how to make a good player look average, and its showing at his next stop also.

Flamma

Reaction score
What if teams around the NFL could just sign top players to 1 year Deals??? We harp so much on what players are making, and how they're not living up to the amount of money they are costing the team.

Instead of having a long term commitment, why not 1 year deals, that way if their play isn't up to par, there's no long term attachment!! Your thoughts....

Any team is free to try this now :)

Teams could operate like Pittsburgh does, or did. Not sure how often they do it now. But their long term contracts guaranteed money was bonus money only. That's why RB Bell snubbed their offer. I think it was 5 years 75 million, 10 million dollar signing bonus. Dollar wise that's a good contract for a RB. But only 10 million was guaranteed.

75boyz

Reaction score

Although I'm not the biggest fan of Jerry's GM job performance I can't say I dislike him as a person
as I've never met the man and have read that he is very generous and caring on a personal level.

My concern is for Cowboy contracts that dont match positional production in comparison to many at the same position getting paid less and producing more. No more, no less.

I must not have properly explained in my previous posts as it was all about several of Jerrys contracts paid not matching production imo.

The last post about If I pay them more maybe they'll win was just a failed attempt at sarcastic humor on my part. My bad.

jmo

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Although I'm not the biggest fan of Jerry's GM job performance I can't say I dislike him as a person
as I've never met the man and have read that he is very generous and caring on a personal level.

My concern is for Cowboy contracts that dont match positional production in comparison to many at the same position getting paid less and producing more. No more, no less.

I must not have properly explained in my previous posts as it was all about several of Jerrys contracts paid not matching production imo.

The last post about If I pay them more maybe they'll win was just a failed attempt at sarcastic humor on my part. My bad.

jmo
oh, I am with you. he is a good person. I have often said he is one of the smartest businessmen I have ever known....and thus there lies the problem, because jerry the businessman over rules jerry the GM...there is a reason this franchise is the most valuable NFL franchise and all of sports..

and we do hand out bad contracts, more than good contracts.....and there is lies in the other problem, where we bury ourselves playing fantasy football (and jerry has lots of those moments).