More accolades for Terrence Williams

Frozen700

Reaction score
Lets go look at all the 2nd WR's on Championship teams and see how great the divide. Thats division Conference and SB champs.
Terry Glen was acquired in a trade for low round pick I believe and he was a good one. How about our other 2nd WR's?

Brandon L, and edelman whoever is 10x better than Williams (gronk is the number 1).

Hakeem at the time was better than Williams playing next to Cruz.

Colston is way better than Williams being number 2 behind Jimmy.

Cobb is 10x better than Williams.

Mike wallace is 10x better than Williams.

Seahawks have Wilson, a guy who can run around all day, so you don't need superior wr's. They also had the best D.

Wayne is way better than Williams.

Boldin is better than Williams.

Ect ect....

A good number 2 really helps. Williams is not that.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Over the last two seasons, his targets have the highest pass rating on the team, so we're probably not getting rid of him any time soon.

2013-2014

All Downs
Bryant 187 of 302 29 td 6 int 113.8
Witten 148 of 215 13 td 3 int 106.5
Williams 85 of 148 16 td 4 int 116.6
Beasley 83 of 114 6 td 1 int 109.1

Here are the 3rd-down targets isolated for the last two seasons. The last figure is conversion percentage. On routes that take him beyond 15 yards (like the 3rd and 20 in Seattle), Williams has the highest catch percentage and conversion percentage among the three most-targeted players.

3rd down only
>15 yards in air past LOS
Bryant 7 of 20 1 td 0 int 99.2 35.0%
Witten 4 of 11 0 td 0 int 63.8 36.4%
Williams 10 of 22 1 td 1 int 88.3 45.5%
Beasley 2 of 2 1 td 0 int 158.3 100%

When the route doesn't take him beyond 15 yards, and straight-line speed is usually less of a factor in getting open, he hasn't been very good on this down. Romo and Linehan are talking about how much improvement he's shown in OTA's. If that improvement applies to his shorter targets, especially on 3rd down, that will make a difference for the team.

3rd down only
≤15 yards in air past LOS
Bryant 28 of 48 7 td 1 int 105.6 50.0%
Witten 42 of 60 4 td 1 int 101.9 55.0%
Williams 11 of 23 3 td 2 int 75.0 30.4%
Beasley 26 of 36 1 td 0 int 104.6 55.6%

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brandon L, and edelman whoever is 10x better than Williams (gronk is the number 1).

Hakeem at the time was better than Williams playing next to Cruz.

Colston is way better than Williams being number 2 behind Jimmy.

Cobb is 10x better than Williams.

Mike wallace is 10x better than Williams.

Seahawks have Wilson, a guy who can run around all day, so you don't need superior wr's. They also had the best D.

Wayne is way better than Williams.

Boldin is better than Williams.

Ect ect....

A good number 2 really helps. Williams is not that.

Taking TEs into the equation, like Gronk and Graham, then Williams is the number 3 receiving option on the Cowboys.

Williams is in his 2nd year.

Comparing all of the players you named in their 2nd year to Williams in his 2nd year, only Cruz and Nicks had better stats. That's even more impressive considering that many of those players were the 2nd or 1st receiving option on their team while Williams is the 3rd option on a run heavy team.

The more I review Williams accomplishments, the more I realize that he is much better than I realized when comparing apples to apples and don't try to compare him in his 2nd year to multiple year veterans who are their teams 2nd receiving option.

This combined with Percy's info really shows TW to have had a terrific career up to this point.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Nah, Witten should not be our 2nd best receiving threat. Sorry, but for the past few years he is not the same Witten skill wise, and not even a threat like some of the other tight ends in the league. Sure he puts up stats, that's because Romo loves him, and he still knows how to be deceptive, but he's no where near a threat.

If he's really our 2nd best receiving option, then we have bigger problems then I thought.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys could announce Lance Frazier and Derek Ross were coming back to start for the cowboys, and people like the OP would jump for joy, and try to convince others why it's a good move.

Is that true xwalker?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah, Witten should not be our 2nd best receiving threat. Sure he puts up stats, that's because Romo loves him, and he still knows how to be deceptive, but he's no where near a threat.
Last year he had 90 targets which is the 3rd lowest in his career. JWit has always been a first down machine and last year was no exception with 48 of his 64 receptions going for first downs. He may not be a "threat" in the most common use of the word but defensive coordinators make sure he is accounted for on every play.

visionary

Reaction score
Taking TEs into the equation, like Gronk and Graham, then Williams is the number 3 receiving option on the Cowboys.

Williams is in his 2nd year.

Comparing all of the players you named in their 2nd year to Williams in his 2nd year, only Cruz and Nicks had better stats. That's even more impressive considering that many of those players were the 2nd or 1st receiving option on their team while Williams is the 3rd option on a run heavy team.

The more I review Williams accomplishments, the more I realize that he is much better than I realized when comparing apples to apples and don't try to compare him in his 2nd year to multiple year veterans who are their teams 2nd receiving option.

This combined with Percy's info really shows TW to have had a terrific career up to this point.

I'm expecting TW to make a jump this year

Frozen700

Reaction score
Last year he had 90 targets which is the 3rd lowest in his career. JWit has always been a first down machine and last year was no exception with 48 of his 64 receptions going for first downs. He may not be a "threat" in the most common use of the word but defensive coordinators make sure he is accounted for on every play.

Yeah, that's what TE's are supposed to do. He's not taking any games over, which is why he isn't a huge threat or among the elite anymore at his age.

Jimmy, gronk, gates, Thomas, kelcie, hell even Marty b. These are guys who are physically gifted, and can dominate a game, and go on a team and be the the number one threat because of what they can do skill wise.

Guys like Witten or heath Miller are good TE's, but if they are your number 2 threat in a passing game, then you have issues at WR.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what TE's are supposed to do. He's not taking any games over, which is why he isn't a huge threat or among the elite anymore at his age.

Jimmy, gronk, gates, Thomas, kelcie, hell even Marty b. These are guys who are physically gifted, and can dominate a game, and go on a team and be the the number one threat because of what they can do skill wise.

Guys like Witten or heath Miller are good TE's, but if they are your number 2 threat in a passing game, then you have issues at WR.

I disagree, Witten is technician he can still get open with the best of them. Its not his fault that his savvy makes him nightmare for quicker of foot guys. Every QB has security blanket, he is the guy that is where he is supposed to be when the QB needs to get rid of it quick. Witten is that, Novacek was that for Aikman. Witten has never been a TD machine but he is by far the most consistent possession receiver this team has had in long long time.

Satchel89

Reaction score
I think he's going to be solid again this year. Hopefully he's got the disappearing act deal taken care of. But honestly, I think Beasley is going to make a big jump and maybe Escobar gets more involved. I look at it that if he doesn't do better there's other guys that can step up

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he's going to be solid again this year. Hopefully he's got the disappearing act deal taken care of. But honestly, I think Beasley is going to make a big jump and maybe Escobar gets more involved. I look at it that if he doesn't do better there's other guys that can step up

Keep in mind that TW had a broken finger in the middle of last season.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thomas and Kelce dominate a game? Oh man..... Gates and Graham had equal stats to JWit except in TD's (obviously we don't rely on JWit for scoring and never have) but you did get The Gronk right.

Frozen700

Reaction score
I disagree, Witten is technician he can still get open with the best of them. Its not his fault that his savvy makes him nightmare for quicker of foot guys. Every QB has security blanket, he is the guy that is where he is supposed to be when the QB needs to get rid of it quick. Witten is that, Novacek was that for Aikman. Witten has never been a TD machine but he is by far the most consistent possession receiver this team has had in long long time.

Yeah that's good and all, but he's not an elite receiving TE. So there for we would be in trouble if he was our second best receiving option.

He's consistent and I love that.

Frozen700

Reaction score
Thomas and Kelce dominate a game? Oh man..... Gates and Graham had equal stats to JWit except in TD's (obviously we don't rely on JWit for scoring and never have) but you did get The Gronk right.

Wow wow wow, everyone knows Thomas is a nightmare. Teams actually get scared when younline up Julius Thomas outside against a CB. He's very dominate. You cant just play him 1vs1 and think that's it, especially in jumpball situations. Especially when healthy

You can't line Witten up against a CB and tell him to abuse him. You can't.

Travis Kelcie is also becoming elite in the passing ge. Teams double team him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Wont miss him when hes gone.

Yeah, I mean, who would miss the guy the helped us beat the Seahawks and win our first playoff game since 2009? I mean, come on! WHAT A BUM.

We'll have Superstar Dez though and his bobbled "catches" with his supposed sticky fingers though.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Wow wow wow, everyone knows Thomas is a nightmare. Teams actually get scared when younline up Julius Thomas outside against a CB. He's very dominate. You cant just play him 1vs1 and think that's it, especially in jumpball situations. Especially when healthy

You can't line Witten up against a CB and tell him to abuse him. You can't.

Travis Kelcie is also becoming elite in the passing ge. Teams double team him.

Actually, no, not "everyone" thinks he's a nightmare. There are a lot of people who believe Julius Thomas was a product of the Denver system. EVERYONE looks good in that offense, why? Because of Peyton Manning. Thomas looks to be more of a red zone threat than anything.

"Nightmares" at the TE position is Gronk and Graham (When healthy).

Frozen700

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean, who would miss the guy the helped us beat the Seahawks and win our first playoff game since 2009? I mean, come on! WHAT A BUM.

We'll have Superstar Dez though and his bobbled "catches" with his supposed sticky fingers though.

Funny how you can only reference one play.

You are right about Dez. More than half this forum still think it's a catch. :lmao: