More evidence of an improved Prescott

Chuck 54

Reaction score
After rewatching the 2008 game vs. the Eagles yesterday on NFL network, I love Dak Prescott even more.
Tony's later years had made me forget just how bad he was at times in the first half of his career at protecting the football. Even the announcers were making fun of him.

We had a pretty solid run attack with Marion the Barbarian at his peak, and the defense was actually pretty good at times.

• Tony drops back, avoids one rusher, but then panics with no one else near him and throws an easy interception into double coverage with the announcers wondering what he was seeing that no one else saw.
  • Tony runs back from the 5 yard line to hand off to Barbour in the endzone, and (hello Seattle), the ball just slips out of his grasp with no one around. He picks it up off the turf and starts to move forward. Before he is tackled for a safety, he drops the ball a second time before contact for a Philly TD.
Luckily, T.O. was being T.O. and dominating the Eagles at every turn.
Romo won a lot of games that we shouldn't have won in his later career, but man, he was the epitome of a roller coaster ride for 4-5 years and always blew the big situations for a while there.

Dak may never be the passing talent that Romo was, but I'm betting he will retire with more wins and more post-season success than Romo had.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

FlakyGoodnaturedEasteuropeanshepherd-size_restricted.gif

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Hoping to see a quicker release this year, seemed like his throwing motion took so long.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just wondered if you guys have seen any noticeable improvements in Dak's throwing accuracy this year at OTAs compared to the past? - JOSEPH CRUM / CORINTH, MS

Bryan: I have noticed a transformation of his body and overall mechanics. There were times when he missed, he missed badly. That hasn’t been the case in these OTAs. Ball has been on target and catchable. Credit to the hard work he’s put in on his own and with new quarterbacks coach Jon Kitna. Needs for this to carry over to camp.

Rob: It was only three open practices, but yes, that’s the best stretch of OTAs I’ve seen from Prescott in four years. He’s been accurate at all levels: short, intermediate and deep, like the dime he threw to Reggie Davis last week on a go-route for a touchdown.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-dak-s-offseason-bigger-red-zone-add
Camp? How about the real season? What are we now, praise from OTA's to camp to pretend games?

What's next? The Cowboys Camp Ring of Honor?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This comes from the Cowboys mailbag Q&A at Dallascowboys.com:

I just wondered if you guys have seen any noticeable improvements in Dak's throwing accuracy this year at OTAs compared to the past? - JOSEPH CRUM / CORINTH, MS

Bryan: I have noticed a transformation of his body and overall mechanics. There were times when he missed, he missed badly. That hasn’t been the case in these OTAs. Ball has been on target and catchable. Credit to the hard work he’s put in on his own and with new quarterbacks coach Jon Kitna. Needs for this to carry over to camp.

Rob: It was only three open practices, but yes, that’s the best stretch of OTAs I’ve seen from Prescott in four years. He’s been accurate at all levels: short, intermediate and deep, like the dime he threw to Reggie Davis last week on a go-route for a touchdown.

Everyone can take this for whatever they feel it's worth, but there is mounting evidence and reports of the quarterback looking better than ever. That should be good news for any Cowboys fans.

Dak made changes before the 2018 training camp.
  • His throwing motion looked better.
  • However, it was too much change too soon.
  • Once the real games started, he somewhat reverted back to his previous style.

Throwing passes can be divided into 2 basic issues:
1. Physical (Velocity, repeatable motion, compact delivery, tight spiral, etc.)
2. Hand-Eye Coordination (The mind has to "calculate" how much to lead receivers, etc.)

In the 2018 training camp, Dak's throws looked better in regards to the physical aspect.
The problem is his Hand-Eye coordination never completely adjusted to the new Physical changes.

Simple Example
If New throwing motion results in more velocity for the same amount of effort.
  • For the same effort level:
    • Old Throwing Motion 20 yards
    • New Throwing Motion 22 yards

Now the QB's mind has to "calculate" that less effort is required for a 20 yard pass.

Them

Reaction score
...well eventually I guess we'll all get to see for ourselves if he has improved...but no matter if you support him or really think he stinks, since he is the Cowboys best bet at the QB position this season I'll assume that everyone that is a Cowboy fan will wish for his success..:clap:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This comes from the Cowboys mailbag Q&A at Dallascowboys.com:

Everyone can take this for whatever they feel it's worth, but there is mounting evidence and reports of the quarterback looking better than ever. That should be good news for any Cowboys fans.

So basically Dak couldnt throw the entire time he's been on the team?!?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He does not hang on to the football well. We are left hoping he has a long ball with reasonable accuracy.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I made sure to add that caveat. People can try to downplay it as much as they need to, but the evidence and positive reports are only growing. I think that better coaching, coupled with the drive, work ethic and yes - talent, that the player already had, will combine for him to have his best year ever.

I think a lot of the anti-Dak crowd are going to be eating a big helping of crow this year.

I pray that I choke on a bird. He has the tools. I just want to see it. I'll eat all the crow for everyone. I want to eat it, because I want this team to succeed.