More McCarthy Mismanagement?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Can help it can you....someone actually agreed with big Mike....and now your in defense mode. Haters are gonna hate no matter what you say....

Congrats on scouring the internet to find that, luuulz.

Not to mention the mention the complete strawman that the 4th down decisions were the problem.

Shane612

Reaction score
If at the end of the season Jerry has to decide between Moore or Quinn over McCarthy, I really hope he chooses Moore or Quinn. This is a repetitive conversation we are having about game management with McCarthy.

I think McCarthy is a part of the culture change that is happening but that's all he's bringing to the table that I can see. I feel Xs and Os are Quinn and Moore. Culture is important but so is scoring points and having more possessions during the game.
How do you know Moore will be a good HC?
Not all coaches are cut out to be a HC.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured your argument ultimately boiled down to, "it didn't work."
We agree on that one. It was a terrible decision. That's the only 4th-down decision I had a problem with, though, IIRC. In this game. Timeouts, on the other hand...

At the end of the half he should have bled the clock down before the FG not giving the ball back to NE with a time out . His clock management is bizarre.

RonWashington

Reaction score
And yes when your QB sneak resembles a construction collapse short of the goal that should tell you the penetration from the interior is stuffing your chances. That’s not a good call back to back you have to show something else. Stats don’t take into account the opponent across the line at that moment

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yes McCarthy has issues with clock management.

No I don’t think his 4th down decisions are that bad overall. Some head scratchers. But also some really good calls at times and he is aggressive.

Overall I think he is doing a good job. In totality with all of his responsibilities. This is a well coached team and it shows.

plymkr

Reaction score
How do you know Moore will be a good HC?
Not all coaches are cut out to be a HC.
I'd rather take the chance with Moore. I feel it's a better risk reward than taking Moore over McCarthy. We see what McCarthy does and he's being criticized by the national media every week for his decisions.

When Sean Payton was our OC and was looking like a head coach prospect we let him walk to keep Parcells. Well Parcells is a legend. If we let Moore go and he's the next Payton then we're stuck with McCarthy. I feel risking that is not worth the reward of keeping McCarthy.

So it boils down to is Moore the next Payton or the next Garrett. It's definitely a gamble that the Jones family has to decide on. But I acknowledge your point, there's no way to know for sure if Moore will be a good HC.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
I'd rather take the chance with Moore. I feel it's a better risk reward than taking Moore over McCarthy. We see what McCarthy does and he's being criticized by the national media every week for his decisions.

When Sean Payton was our OC and was looking like a head coach prospect we let him walk to keep Parcells. Well Parcells is a legend. If we let Moore go and he's the next Payton then we're stuck with McCarthy. I feel risking that is not worth the reward of keeping McCarthy.

So it boils down to is Moore the next Payton or the next Garrett. It's definitely a gamble that the Jones family has to decide on. But I acknowledge your point, there's no way to know for sure if Moore will be a good HC.

man that is some good points....but luckily the Cowboys dont have to worry about Moore leaving tell the end of the season...IMO Moore will leave to be a HC and McAdoo will take over as OC.

ESisback

Reaction score
If we lost 2-3 of these games this would be a much bigger story. But winning is the salve that heals all wounds. I can’t help but feel this is going to crop up at the most inopportune moment for the team.

If we DO lose a playoff game because of the HC’s clock management snafu, THEN I’ll go off. Until then, we’re a missed FG from being undefeated! I’m not gonna waste time stressing over fan speculations. Life’s too short!

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
Hey guys, the Nintendo GameStop Decision Guide says McCarthy was right.

/thread
Ahhh…

Another poster that fails to see the value of an analytical analysis of decision making in football who, oh so coincidentally (NOT! Lmao), also thinks MM is a moron.

Hmmmm….

Between the two of you, which one is most likely to be the moron? Hey, I know!! Since you have the most insight into your own brain, how smooth is it, boy?

Shane612

Reaction score

All of what you said may be true.
But you'll probably have the same thing with whomever they bring in.
Trouble is, during the course of a game, we all think we can do better than the HC. Then, we go further and call the HC idiot and a moron.....lol.
They're never going to find the perfect coach. Some people will agree with most of his decisions, and some will always find something to complain about.
As long as the HC doesn't commit blatant mistake, I'm good.
4th and 1 at your 45 yard-line, do you go, or punt?
Either way I'm good...unless your team is behind by 2, with only 2:00 minutes left in the game.

The only thing that matters is what the GM and the owner think. For the cowboys, that all just one person.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I agree that coordinators have input. Input is not authority. Kellen can communicate to Mike and say "hey Mike, if we complete this pass let's let some clock run before we call timeout."

But ultimately, the head coach makes the call.

What part of this is confusing for you? And why do you keep ignoring the question of what the head coach should be focused on in the final minute of the game?
You don't even get that you don't get it.
But you win!

Rayman70

Reaction score
I’m going to take a screen shot of this so I can bring it out after he makes a bonehead move that costs us a game. He’s the worst HC in the NFL strategy-wise.
I'll be rite here. Waiting.

nobody

Reaction score
Can help it can you....someone actually agreed with big Mike....and now your in defense mode. Haters are gonna hate no matter what you say....

I think big Mike is a fantastic Monday through Saturday coach. He's helped this team immensely. However, decisions made in game last season and this season, especially with clock manage have shown that something isn't quite right. Fortunately the team is good enough to overcome questionable clock management but as the head coach, that's one of his primary tasks on game day.

That being said, I haven't given up on him as a HC. He's light years better than Garrett was.