Twitter: More positive news

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Yep..........and my point is that no matter how great his shape appears to be, he will still miss games and have health issues.

But now your pushing it with 10 healthy games. Need someone more reliable than 10 games. I personally would move on and address the position in the offseason if that is all he can be relied upon for.

He's never played less than 13 games before last season. You want reliability, get a good swing that can fill in if he misses a few.

I'll take elite play for 13 games over average play for 16.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He's never played less than 13 games before last season. You want reliability, get a good swing that can fill in if he misses a few.

I'll take elite play for 13 games over average play for 16.

He missed 14 games last year. You going to take that?

I'll take Tyrone missing a few games. But he is getting older every year. At some point you have to move on. Martin will be moved out to LT and be an all pro. So really, all we have to do is find a guard. McGovern might be the guy, but he probably replaces Williams after this season. First or 2nd rounder next year on a lineman would probably do the trick. Would save us 12 million.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
If Tyron is finally healthy, I have to question why this surgery wasn’t done 3 years ago.

Because he didn't want it to be done 3 years ago.. and I don't blame him. Having someone cut into your neck is not something to be taken lightly. Plus Tyron is one of the toughest dudes on the planet and up until last year he was able to play through it and only miss 2-3 games each year. It finally got to the point where even he couldn't stand the pain last year so it was time to give in and have the surgery. I don't blame him. Neck surgery is not like getting some dental work. It comes with serious risk.. Let's hope it took care of his issues though.. because I really like having the best LT in football. I bet Dak and Zeke do too.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

I'll take Tyrone missing a few games. But he is getting older every year. At some point you have to move on. Martin will be moved out to LT and be an all pro. So really, all we have to do is find a guard. McGovern might be the guy, but he probably replaces Williams after this season. First or 2nd rounder next year on a lineman would probably do the trick. Would save us 12 million.

I don't know about this.. Zack got moved to right tackle for what 2-3? games and immediately got hurt. Tackle is far more demanding in terms of footwork than guard. It places more strain on the legs.. and where did Martin get hurt last year? Yep.. legs.. I also think Martin is actually OLDER than Tyron so it's not like he's a youngster chompin at the bit. He has seen his share of NFL trench warfare in his own right. Maybe moving him out there is an emergency measure but if Tyron truly shows to be unreliable again it's time to find a 22 year old replacement.. not a guy who is basically the same age.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because he didn't want it to be done 3 years ago.. and I don't blame him. Having someone cut into your neck is not something to be taken lightly. Plus Tyron is one of the toughest dudes on the planet and up until last year he was able to play through it and only miss 2-3 games each year. It finally got to the point where even he couldn't stand the pain last year so it was time to give in and have the surgery. I don't blame him. Neck surgery is not like getting some dental work. It comes with serious risk.. Let's hope it took care of his issues though.. because I really like having the best LT in football. I bet Dak and Zeke do too.

You got that right. Not just for holes...but Zeke get's tired of blocking D-linemen when LT caves.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

Last year was an aberration as evidenced by the fact that he has never missed that many games before.

Dak missed 13 games last season and is also getting older every year. You want to move on from him?

Tyrone is only 30. Trent Williams is 2 years his senior and just got a 6 year $140 million deal.

If he plays out this year healthy, I'm still counting on him to play out his very team friendly contract.

Creeper

Reaction score
Everyone is in the best shape of their life this year? So can we expect them to blow out the Bucs when the season begins?

I am so jaded by all the BS that comes from the Cowboys every preseason. Everyone looks great. Maliek Collins was going to have a breakout year every year until they let him walk in free agency and he signs a cheap contract with the Raiders. I think the Cowboys will not win a Super Bowl again until we see a preseason when all we hear is how bad everyone looks.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't know about this.. Zack got moved to right tackle for what 2-3? games and immediately got hurt. Tackle is far more demanding in terms of footwork than guard. It places more strain on the legs.. and where did Martin get hurt last year? Yep.. legs.. I also think Martin is actually OLDER than Tyron so it's not like he's a youngster chompin at the bit. He has seen his share of NFL trench warfare in his own right. Maybe moving him out there is an emergency measure but if Tyron truly shows to be unreliable again it's time to find a 22 year old replacement.. not a guy who is basically the same age.

Thats sounds pretty far fetched to me. Guards pull they have no problem with their legs.

Cant say what the Cowboys will do, but that is what I would do. Get an all pro LT at a guard price and its easier to find guards.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Last year was an aberration as evidenced by the fact that he has never missed that many games before.

Dak missed 13 games last season and is also getting older every year. You want to move on from him?

Tyrone is only 30. Trent Williams is 2 years his senior and just got a 6 year $140 million deal.

If he plays out this year healthy, I'm still counting on him to play out his very team friendly contract.

Dak doesnt miss games every year or have consistent injury issues for years.

conner01

Reaction score
What surgery did he have? He has had multiple issues. Back, arm, feet? You were the one that said 10 games.
I said 10 games fully healthy and a few gimpy
Most players in this league don’t play healthy the full season
He had neck surgery last year
The neck issues from what I understand was causing the back issues
We will see how successful it was but he’s an elite player in his prime. A bit too early to give up

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I said 10 games fully healthy and a few gimpy
Most players in this league don’t play healthy the full season
He had neck surgery last year
The neck issues from what I understand was causing the back issues
We will see how successful it was but he’s an elite player in his prime. A bit too early to give up

Who said give up? You said playing 10 games, not me. Im not paying a guy 12 million to play 10 games.

Neck, back, leg issues, arm issues. Smith is just injury prone, coming off missing an entire year. Sorry, he is no longer in his prime. Dont care what age he is. His body is breaking down obviously. If he is healthy, great. If he continues to miss games then moving on might be the best thing.

plasticman

Reaction score
I think I have a right to be skeptical after all these seasons.

Tickets have to be sold around this time of year. I'm sure every NFL franchise is hyping the strength of their team.

I can't wait for the preseason games. Let's actually see the veterans as well as the rookies play and show us where they are really at.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There was a video a few weeks ago where he pulled up his shirt and his stomach was flat. He used to be hanging out all over place.
There is a video of me, a few decades ago, doing that same thing. Now my 6 pack is a 12 pack and they've fallen out of the box into the bag..

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Thats sounds pretty far fetched to me. Guards pull they have no problem with their legs.

Cant say what the Cowboys will do, but that is what I would do. Get an all pro LT at a guard price and its easier to find guards.

Pulling is get up out of your stance and running.. And guards do it 3-4 times a game. That's a lot less taxing on the legs than trying to kick step backwards to stay in front of an edge rusher who is coming at you with a head of steam 40-45 times a game. I'm not saying Zack could not make the transition.. But as I said.. he was an iron man until they asked him to move outside.. Then suddenly he misses half a season. Perhaps it was a coincidence ... but maybe it wasn't..

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Pulling is get up out of your stance and running.. And guards do it 3-4 times a game. That's a lot less taxing on the legs than trying to kick step backwards to stay in front of an edge rusher who is coming at you with a head of steam 40-45 times a game. I'm not saying Zack could not make the transition.. But as I said.. he was an iron man until they asked him to move outside.. Then suddenly he misses half a season. Perhaps it was a coincidence ... but maybe it wasn't..

Martin has been banged up here and there the last few years. You coming to the conclusion that it was related to playing outside for a few games seems far fetched.