More possible 1st rounders test positive at combine

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
I am not quite sure how reputable this website is but here it is.

Breaking News: Three Prospects Test Positive

Written by NFL Draft Bible
Thursday, 02 April 2009 22:36

Boston College DT BJ Raji, Illinois CB Vontae Davis & Florida WR Percy Harvin tested positive for marijuana at the combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.

http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Latest/three_prospects_test_positive.html

NFLDraftBible.com reports that Florida WR Percy Harvin, Illinois CB Vontae Davis, and UTEP K Jose Martinez all tested positive for marijuana at February's Combine.

The website also claims that USC OLBs Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids. Information like this is sometimes circulated by teams in hopes players' stocks will fall and no other reputable sources have picked up the reports to this point, so take this cautiously. Harvin, Davis, Matthews, and Cushing are all projected first-round picks.

Woods

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2714979 said:
Do you think this is enough to drop them out of the second round??

If it were my money, I wouldn't hire people with any drug related issues.

(Actually, I'm not even permitted to)

Draft picks are risky enough as it is . . . .

My best guess is that since JJ is cleaning up the team, he isn't going to draft guys who are tainted.

That said, I'm confident that other teams will.

Reaction score
ajk23az;2714976 said:

Boston College DT BJ Raji, Illinois CB Vontae Davis & Florida WR Percy Harvin tested positive for marijuana at the combine, according to various sources, including one NFL team.

NFLDraftBible.com reports that Florida WR Percy Harvin, Illinois CB Vontae Davis, and UTEP K Jose Martinez all tested positive for marijuana at February's Combine.

The website also claims that USC OLBs Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids. Information like this is sometimes circulated by teams in hopes players' stocks will fall and no other reputable sources have picked up the reports to this point, so take this cautiously. Harvin, Davis, Matthews, and Cushing are all projected first-round picks.

Percy and Vontae doesnt surprise me for smoking herb.

But the Performance Enhancing Drug stigma for a policy is really stupid. They were probably taking something that anyone can get from GNC like a SuperPump, No2 or even Leukic and they 'pop' for it. The misinformed will say its Steriods (ignorantly), when its just against the NFL policy.

So silly. But these guys should have known better or sought better advice. Im sure they were taking stuff in their pre-combine workouts from a trainer or even OTC. Their agents should have done their homework and given them the 'list' of banned supplements from the NFL.

DTK

Reaction score
What's truly amazing about this is that these guys KNOW when the combine is to take place. It's bad enough to be involved in drugs, but to then be DUMB enough to use drugs close enough to the combine to test positive!

I wouldn't want any troublemakers on my team, but I especially don't want any STUPID troublemakers on my team.

Doomsay

Reaction score
ajk23az;2714976 said:
Information like this is sometimes circulated by teams in hopes players' stocks will fall and no other reputable sources have picked up the reports to this point, so take this cautiously. Harvin, Davis, Matthews, and Cushing are all projected first-round picks.

Wow, has this ever been proven? I would think that would result in severe sanctions.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsay;2715023 said:
Wow, has this ever been proven? I would think that would result in severe sanctions.
Why? It's human poker.

I can tell you one story about something related but not quite about drugs. In late 1963 the Cowboys were looking hard at Oregon Running Back Mel Renfro. The Draft that year was held on December 2, 1963. Just after the Kennedy Assassination.

Mel Renfro had been so distraught after hearing the news of Kennedy's murder that he punched a mirror and cut up his hand real bad. Everyone in the NFL knew the Cowboys were going to Draft Renfro in the 1st round. They knew the Cowboys Doctors had looked at his hand thoroughly.

The Cowboys were picking at #4 and when it was their turn they chose Texas OT, Scott Appleton. This sent shock waves around the NFL. Mel Renfro was obviously damaged goods. Everyone knew he was the Cowboys guy. It was common knowledge.

The result was every other team passed on Renfro in round 1 and the top of round 2 and the Cowboys then selected him with their 2nd pick, which was #17 in the 2nd round. Teams actually protested because they felt they had been bamboozled.

Turns out Renfro had some nerve damage in his hand and the Cowboys moved him to DB and the rest is a Hall of Fame career.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Considering that Cushing spends over 1k a month in supplements, I'm not surprised that something in them would turn up (be it something anabolic or just a flagged attribute).

Reaction score
Avery;2715049 said:
Considering that Cushing spends over 1k a month in supplements, I'm not surprised that something in them would turn up (be it something anabolic or just a flagged attribute).

Thats nuts....I spend about 250 with steep discounts. I could only imagine what he is buying at 250$. I saw a pic of him on google images with Taylor Mays and him flexing for the camera with I guess a USC trainer.

He is a beast.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Avery;2715049 said:

1k a month? That's insane! I like working out (Finally, after years of hating it) and I take some protein shake mix and 2 gel caps a day of fish & flax seed oil but that's the only supps I take, although I'm not trying to be huge just to help me workout, lose my fat gut, and get into shape.

I'm thinking seriously of adding a fat burner supp as well but I haven't decided on which one yet.

But 1k a month for that stuff...absolutely not.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I say all should be barred from entering the NFL for 1 year.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Not Surprised To hear about Percy Harvin... He went to HS with my daughter and he hung out with the smoker crowd... But most at that age experiment with weed...

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Harvin and Davis were already redflagged for Character concerns and now this, it wouldn't surprise me to see them fall to the late 2nd or early 3rd now. how stupid are these guys?.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Hostile;2715045 said:
Why? It's human poker.

I can tell you one story about something related but not quite about drugs. In late 1963 the Cowboys were looking hard at Oregon Running Back Mel Renfro. The Draft that year was held on December 2, 1963. Just after the Kennedy Assassination.

Mel Renfro had been so distraught after hearing the news of Kennedy's murder that he punched a mirror and cut up his hand real bad. Everyone in the NFL knew the Cowboys were going to Draft Renfro in the 1st round. They knew the Cowboys Doctors had looked at his hand thoroughly.

The Cowboys were picking at #4 and when it was their turn they chose Texas OT, Scott Appleton. This sent shock waves around the NFL. Mel Renfro was obviously damaged goods. Everyone knew he was the Cowboys guy. It was common knowledge.

The result was every other team passed on Renfro in round 1 and the top of round 2 and the Cowboys then selected him with their 2nd pick, which was #17 in the 2nd round. Teams actually protested because they felt they had been bamboozled.

Turns out Renfro had some nerve damage in his hand and the Cowboys moved him to DB and the rest is a Hall of Fame career.

That's very interesting story - the only glass incident I remember was TD "dropping a mirror" or something to that effect. He was already a Cowboy at the time, so it wasn't a recruiting ploy.

But it's a far cry from releasing potentially false drug test information which is what is implied here. I'm sure that that is an actionable offense especially if there are allegations of criminalized substances or illegally obtained substances.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
ajk23az;2714976 said:

*******!

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2715071 said:
1k a month? That's insane! I like working out (Finally, after years of hating it) and I take some protein shake mix and 2 gel caps a day of fish & flax seed oil but that's the only supps I take, although I'm not trying to be huge just to help me workout, lose my fat gut, and get into shape.

I'm thinking seriously of adding a fat burner supp as well but I haven't decided on which one yet.

Try Lipo-6x. Good stuff that wont give you the jitters. It will surpress your appetite as well.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

I spend about 250 a month and it seems I never stop taking a supp.

For 1K he has to be on a ridiculous amount of them.

There are a lot of synthetic steroids(pro-steroids) you can order online and they are even worse with side effects than the real thing. Perhaps he got one of these by accident, had good results and told a team mate about it. It wouldn't be illegal but it could be banned.

Or it could be any numbed of other banned drugs tossed in a supp.

OR he could be hanging out with the crazy Romo-LB.
:eek:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2715097 said:
Try Lipo-6x. Good stuff that wont give you the jitters. It will surpress your appetite as well.

I like Myo-Shock but have heard good things about that product as well.

DFWJC

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2714979 said:
Do you think this is enough to drop them out of the second round??
No
Raji stays in the top 15, imo...som had him at #5 beforehand
Harvin in the 2nd...many had in the 1st round beforehand
Davis may drop to 2nd as well...or late 1st

I assume this cost each of them 5-10 slots

adamknite

Reaction score

If spending 12k a year could help me possibly make millions, then I think it might be worth it.

Then again.... one would have to have the 12k to burn to begin with... :D