More talented youth lost...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi said:
Bring back Torrin Tucker and Rob Pettiti !!

We're getting the band back together, boys !!!

And what will they play...in tune to Metallica........Enter "sack"man. :lmao2:

sago1

Reaction score
My first choice was to keep all 5 of our OTs--given Adams coming back from knee injury & I'm worded he may not be ready to go and/or during the same may not be able to play to the level we need. So I wanted us to err on the side of caution re LT position. While very pleased Colombo overcame his 02 major knee injury to winning RT job, it's the backups I'm concerned about. I wanted to keep Fabini as Adams primary backup cause Fabini has LT experience in the NFL--neither Pettiti nor McQuistan have that & it's important given DB's immobility. But I wanted Pettiti at RT just in case Colombo went down cause-- I didn't want to rely on McQuistan. Essentially I think Pettiti is better then anything we might find down the stretch if we have serious injuries on the OL. It's fine to say we are sunk if that happens--but we still have to play the games and still have to protect DB & compete.

Angus

Reaction score
We ought not forget that Parcells doesn't make these decisions in a vacuum. A line coach had something to say about who stayed, whether his advice was heeded or not. Same for linebacker and wide receiver coaches, etc. If there was dispute, he heard about it behind closed doors.

true_north

Reaction score
kmd24 said:
I think that we should view it as a very positive development that the best active tackle at the end of 2005 has been surpassed by four players:

Adams (return from injury)
Columbo (return from injury)
Fabini (FA signing)
McQuistan (7th round)

This can mean nothing less than that the OL has vastly improved from the end of last season.

Rob may have improved - he definitely improved physically. I'm not sure that his physical improvements ever translated to the field. I feel bad for the guy because he worked so hard and did everything right. You root for guys like that.

However, IMO, no fan should feel bad for the team that Rob missed the roster, because it means that the team is that much better.

For the benefit of the team and Cowboy fans, let's hope you are correct in your analysis. I tend to agree with you. As Parcell would say, we will know a lot better in November what kind of team we have, and our hopes for playing in January and beyond.

Iago33

Reaction score
We have a line coach? Oh, you mean that former TE coach?

fortdick

Reaction score
Angus said:
We ought not forget that Parcells doesn't make these decisions in a vacuum. A line coach had something to say about who stayed, whether his advice was heeded or not. Same for linebacker and wide receiver coaches, etc. If there was dispute, he heard about it behind closed doors.

Yeah, and Bill always defers to his asst. coaches.

After hearing all the Brokeback love BP has for McQ, no one would say a thing against him.

If Flo doesn't get well real quick, we are in a world of hurt. McQ will have to play and then see if it is an improvement.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
eduncan22 said:
First AB, Henson, and now Rob P. :banghead:

I dont know about you, but the thought of Pat McQ backing up Floz Adams is a very frightening thought. Nothing against the kid, but he's a green rook.

At last Rob P had 16 games under his belt.
HENSON!!! you surely jest.

AB is on his 3rd team in case you forgot and I bet you there is a 4th, 5th and 6th in the works.

plus what have Minn and Oakland accomplished with the most talented WR in the league but a head case.

and please pettiti talented? servicable maybe. backup material maybe....but talented!! you totally lost credibility there

Drlabon

Reaction score
eduncan22 said:

I dont know about you, but the thought of Pat McQ backing up Floz Adams is a very frightening thought. Nothing against the kid, but he's a green rook.

If they were so talented why did they get cut??

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Theres a reason pple get cut. Generally its because someone else was better at that position. While I was surprised by Petteti'c cut, theres a reason he did not make the pro-bowl last year. Namely he sucked. For all the bragging Parcells did on him, looks like that was just trade smoke. Even the competetion could not be lured into a suckers bet with petteti. They all know he cant play the position.

MrMom

Reaction score
Why don't we include Derek Ross, Woody Danzler, and Quincy Carter while we're at it?

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
trueblue1687 said:
Yep, 16 quality games, 20+ sacks allowed.....:rolleyes: come on, let's be honest: we're fans, not coaches and Pettiti had an awful year last year and would have to completely transform to be considered "good". He was a have to case last year, period.

amen, I dont think we've lost anything.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Not my most sterling post! One thing says it all: Not one of the 31 other teams offered as much as a 7th round pick in return for Pettiti. It is fine to say that other teams knew he would be cut, but that is true of other players for whom deals are made. Not one team thought enough of Pettit to offer anything to assure that it would receive his services. Not just Parcells... nobody in the NFL thinks Pettiti has much of a chance. They seem him as nothing more than a potential stop gap. They have 16 games and a preseason on which to base their opinions.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why is Matt Lehr, under the tutelage of a different OL coach, become a better G than either of ours?:rolleyes:

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
noshame said:
Why is Matt Lehr, under the tutelage of a different OL coach, become a better G than either of ours?:rolleyes:

Excellent point. Lehr had alot of talent, he was just undercoached.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
eduncan22 said:

I just don't get that thinking...why would you want Pettitti backing up Flo or playing in a game when all preseason showed us that McQ was the better player, even without the year of experience...there's a reason he was starting and playing half to 3/4's of the snaps instead of Pettitti.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
noshame said:

Atl likes smaller more mobile linemen. He's a better fit for them.

neosapien23

Reaction score
eduncan22 said:

I hate to say it, but Pat McQ outplayed Pettitti. End of story. BP would not have cut Pettitti if he thought he was better than McQuistan. Its not like he had a 1 million dollar signing bonus. Even as a rookie, Pat should much better footwork than Pettitt. I like Pittdawg alot, and he is a class act, but if Dallas can upgrade the tackle position than so be it.