News: Morris Claiborne’s Return Comes at the Perfect Time

CCBoy

Reaction score
Morris Claiborne’s Return Comes at the Perfect Time

http://thelandryhat.com/2017/01/11/morris-claibornes-return-perfect-time-dallas-cowboys/

The Dallas Cowboys are getting their best cornerback, Morris Claiborne, back on the field, and it could not have come at a more perfect time.
He was playing the best football of his life when he went down with a groin injury against the Philadelphia Eagles on October 30th. As his luck seems to have gone since he was drafted by the Dallas Cowboys, as soon as cornerback Morris Claiborne‘s game arrived, he was lost for the remainder of the regular season.

It was an injury that was supposed to crush Dallas’ defense because Claiborne was finally living up to his lofty draft status. The veteran was leading the way in the secondary, helping a maligned unit to a surprisingly solid start to the year. With five pass breakups and one interception through six games, Claiborne was playing with the confidence and swagger he hadn’t shown much of as a pro.

Thankfully for the Cowboys, Claiborne appears set to return in the Divisional Round of the playoffs and it could not have come at a better time. The Green Bay Packers are riding into town with the hottest quarterback in the league, Aaron Rodgers. Even if wide receiver Jordy Nelson doesn’t play, Rodgers has plenty of options to challenge the secondary of the Cowboys.

That’s why getting Claiborne back is so important. Dallas has been playing with three good corners for most of the year, along with Claiborne they have talented rookie Anthony Brown, Brandon Carr and Orlando Scandrick, but they haven’t all played together since week two, when Brown wasn’t seeing many snaps. Now that all four are healthy and ready to go, the Cowboys should be able to match-up with Rodgers’ weapons in the passing game...

perrykemp

Reaction score
Hopefully he can have a nice run here in the post-season and position himself nicely for a nice contract with another team in the offseason.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I don't expect a lot from a guy who's coming off a lengthy injury keeping him to running and cutting and who won't be anywhere near football shape...chances are he'll pull a hammy or groin in this game so I expect the Cowboy to limit his play in it...

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Hopefully he can have a nice run here in the post-season and position himself nicely for a nice contract with another team in the offseason.
I think if he has a nice postseason run, we should absolutely be the team that gives him a nice contract. When he was healthy, he was right there with Sean Lee as our best defensive player. Having a shutdown type corner makes this defense much, much better.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah, the hiatus is what concerns me. Hopefully it hasn't affected his confidence at all.

The struggles he had prior to this season were due to injuries keeping him off the practice field and out of games. Tough game to return for having to face Aaron Rodgers. I'm just hoping Mo is 100% and we're not just throwing him out there because it's down to do or die. We did that with Terry Glenn back in 07 during the playoffs and he was awful, couldn't even run a route without falling down.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Hopefully adding Claiborne can offset the pass rush we'll lose without Gregory. I thought Gregory was playing nicely and formed a good 3-man line with Collins and Irving. Oh well.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm sure the team/Mo have been doing everything they can to get him ready for some action. Give him a few plays to get back into the swing of things and he should be rolling. Have some confidence guys!

Reaction score
Hopefully adding Claiborne can offset the pass rush we'll lose without Gregory. I thought Gregory was playing nicely and formed a good 3-man line with Collins and Irving. Oh well.
I've NEVER counted on Gregory, & I never will. Let him & Josh Gordon sit around & smoke their brains out. We have better people to care about.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If we end up losing this game and Mo gives up some critical plays, I don't wanna hear him saying "I wasn't really healthy, but I wanted to be out there to help the team."

perrykemp

Reaction score
I think if he has a nice postseason run, we should absolutely be the team that gives him a nice contract. When he was healthy, he was right there with Sean Lee as our best defensive player. Having a shutdown type corner makes this defense much, much better.

He played in 7 regular season games in 2016.

He averaged 8 games per season in the 3 years 2013-2015.

Even if he was an All-Pro (which he isn't), I don't know if you can really build a defensive plan around a player that has, at best, 50% availability.

Good players who are consistently unavailable are typically known as coach-killers in the NFL.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I don't expect a lot from a guy who's coming off a lengthy injury keeping him to running and cutting and who won't be anywhere near football shape...chances are he'll pull a hammy or groin in this game so I expect the Cowboy to limit his play in it...

I would think they do not match him against the Packers now #1 WR this weekend.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
He played in 7 regular season games in 2016.

He averaged 8 games per season in the 3 years 2013-2015.

Even if he was an All-Pro (which he isn't), I don't know if you can really build a defensive plan around a player that has, at best, 50% availability.

Good players who are consistently unavailable are typically known as coach-killers in the NFL.
We won't ever build a defense around Mo (and you really shouldn't around a corner period).

But there was a period here where people poo poo'd Lee and for good reason. But here he is a first team All Pro. If we can get Mo on a moderate or prove it deal. It's probably smart to bet on youth and talent.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I will be worried if reports start coming out that Mo has been struggling in his return....

But I think Mo will do well, as he has been through enough Injuries to know how to comeback and play. I expect Mo to play well especially from a mental aspect.