Mosely: Garrett scheduled for 2nd interview with the Ravens

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Ravens about to make play for Garrett

Jan 14, 2008 22:37:09 GMT

With his season finished, Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett will have a second interview with the Ravens sometime over the next 12 hours, according to a club source.

Baltimore has interviewed six NFL assistants for its head coaching vacancy since firing Brian Billick on Dec. 31, but Garrett has become the front-runner. From what I've been told, the Ravens have narrowed their list to Garrett and Eagles secondary coach John Harbaugh.

On Monday, Garrett was scheduled to take part in season-ending meetings at Valley Ranch. The Ravens thought another Cowboys assistant, Tony Sparano, had an outstanding interview, but they know he's probably headed to Miami.

After Sunday's 21-17 loss to the Giants, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones reiterated that Wade Phillips would be his head coach next season. Firing Phillips is probably the only way Jones could ensure that Garrett remains in Dallas.

"I can't elaborate on [Garrett and assistant head coach Tony Sparano], but certainly part of my job is to make sure that, on a timely basis, we're able to address what happens to our staff," Jones told reporters Sunday. "When you enjoy success, you're going to lose coaches. I should and do have prospective coaches I would think of if we have openings."

Garrett didn't want to discuss his future after last night's game, but there's a good chance the Ravens could offer him the job as soon as this week.

"He's a great communicator and we think he'd be able to work with a young quarterback," the source told Hashmarks. "He could be anything he wants to be. You get the feeling he could be the President of the United States. He just has something about him that people gravitate to. I think he can be a great head coach."

khiladi

Reaction score
"When you enjoy success, you're going to lose coaches. I should and do have prospective coaches I would think of if we have openings."

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Let a busy offseason begin....

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
depressing..all the people hating on him today will be sorry next year.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I think garrett is crazy if he doesnt take that job. That is a very good spot to go to.

Very good personell department headed by ozzie newsome and an offense that can only get better.

I think he has to take that job.

utrunner07

Reaction score
theebs;1904555 said:
I think garrett is crazy if he doesnt take that job. That is a very good spot to go to.

Very good personell department headed by ozzie newsome and an offense that can only get better.

I think he is crazy if he does! He is next in line to be the HC of the Dallas Cowboys...of course then he would have to deal with Jerry Jones, the main source of all the Cowboys problems.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
I'd be disappointed if Garrett left. I feel he has unfinished business here in Dallas. BUT I'd understand. Those jobs don't come around all the time.

I think he has a sliver of obligation to Jerry for hiring him before a head coach etc, and he has Dallas routes, etc. In addition a 2nd interview is good experience and he'd likely go to the interview even if he was intending to stay.

It would be a bit of a step back to implement another whole new offense. That would be 3 in 3 years.

LarryCanadian

David276

Benched
Reaction score
yeah. only if they let us have ray lewis we need a leader on defense haha. let akin go or something. im sure jerry can get some expensive O coordinator to come in here. this team is primed for a championship run. with the right people.....

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Unless the Ravens have a franchise QB fall on their lap, Garrett will be fired in less than 5 years.

He succeeded here because he had a QB.

Reaction score
theebs;1904555 said:

If Garrett were to take a head coaching job or for anyone really, Baltimore is deffinately the most attractive position available. I dont think he is crazy if he dosnt but if he takes anything else other than staying then he might just be.

How crappy would it be if the Indy and Seattle job opened up too. I think it would be near impossible to keep him around next year unless Jerry Jones pulled off some contract magic which he is capable, lets just hope he dosnt go Dan Snyder Gibbs/saunders/williams on us.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
:hammer:
Mr Cowboy;1904570 said:
Unless the Ravens have a franchise QB fall on their lap, Garrett will be fired in less than 5 years.

Yep, A Veteran team without a QB going to be Coached by a first timer on top of that the Ravens D want Rex Ryan.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The rest of the NFL has figured out Garrett, now that they have film on the offense he runs.

Right?

ChrisCanty99

Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;1904570 said:

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. If Garrett were going to somewhere with a decent QB and offense in place, he'd have success. (Washington?)

I don't think the Ravens could hire Garrett and then suffer for the 2-3 years it takes to get an offense with a rookie QB fixed.

Garrett, like the Cowboys, is still a year away. He doesn't have a great feel for run-pass balance. There were no trick plays. It was a lot like Norv/Zampese with that 'we're going to do what we do, go ahead and stop us' attitude, but there were no adjustments when the players didn't execute.

I believe in Garrett. I think he's the kind of guy Jerry Jones would give a 15 year contract to, if a) Jason was ready, and b) there was an opening.

wahoofan22

Reaction score
I'm sure he'll do great - that's what he's been focusing on for the last 2 weeks. Don't we play them next year?

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
After watching an offense completely stacked with talent score 4 TD's in its last 16 quarters of football, I am surprised there is still interest in him.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
If he does get the job it will be interesting to see how a team full of vets takes to him. The poor guy in Miami never knew what hit him. If I was Garrett, I'd clean house of anyone I suspected as a potential threat to my authority.

Reaction score
Just like they didi to Romo in the last few games last year once they had game tape on him. hahaha.

dont think the Garrett would get support from the players mainly because hes an offensifve guy and the Ravens have no real leaders on that side of the ball.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
theebs;1904555 said:

In some ways i think that could be a really great job .. but in other ways ... that team has a lot of Miami Hurricane attitude, and it could be like herding cats. A lot of strong personalities and egos for a first time, young HC to deal with. Plus, as noted, their QB position is just non-existent. It will be nothing like the situations he stepped into in Dallas. Garrett could have his genius label stripped pretty quick.

TheHerd

Reaction score
HurdIsNoTurd;1904585 said:
If Garrett were to take a head coaching job or for anyone really, Baltimore is deffinately the most attractive position available. I dont think he is crazy if he dosnt but if he takes anything else other than staying then he might just be.

How crappy would it be if the Indy and Seattle job opened up too. I think itd be hard to keep him around then.

I'm not hating on Garrett, but the play calling down the stretch of that game showed a serious lack of planning. I still like Red but how you perform under pressure is what really matters.

I think we can find someone who can figure out how to call a quick slant to Owens to help negate a ferocious pass rush. Romo will make a lot of play callers look good, and Troy Smith or Kyle Boller will make a lot of play callers look bad.