Mosley has great point about Romo in huddle...

superpunk

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2481964 said:
Gee, with all this stuff flying around about Romo, how the heck does he have one of the better win/loss records as a starter amongs current NFL QBs?

Surely he must be doing something right.
2/3 of this forum thinks that the only reason Tony Romo is a good QB is because he gets to throw to Terrell Owens.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Doomsday;2481949 said:
No but if you would of watched the play clock the last 3 weeks you would of noticed that almost every single play it has been down to 1 or 2 seconds before the ball is snapped. We are spending way too much time in the huddle for whatever reason.
I consider that good football.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Hostile;2481972 said:
I consider that good football.

Running the clock down is by design IMO. He's been doing that since he became a starter. That is nothing new, and you're right, it is good football. Especially when trying to run the clock out on a good team.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2481976 said:
Running the clock down is by design IMO. He's been doing that since he became a starter. That is nothing new, and you're right, it is good football. Especially when trying to run the clock out on a good team.
Not just that. If a team can consistently run the clock to a precise moment it means they are in sync with each other.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
superpunk;2481969 said:
2/3 of this forum thinks that the only reason Tony Romo is a good QB is because he gets to throw to Terrell Owens.

Well, having a guy like TO does help. I bet Eli would love to have him right now. How about Pitt? Don't you think Big Ben would want him on his team? Those guys don't have near the receiving threat right now.

We have a lot of "plugs" in the offense right now with so many injuries. I have no problem with him paying attention to the details, and making sure everyone runs the play correctly.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Hostile;2481981 said:
Not just that. If a team can consistently run the clock to a precise moment it means they are in sync with each other.

Very true.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I would like for him to have a little more time reading the defense at times. But this is a non-issue. If anyone wants to talk about Romo protecting the ball better I'll listen. O/W it's pretty much a nothing.

proline

Reaction score
Decleater101;2481807 said:
I don't get it. I've never seen Romo do anything in the huddle but call the play and make sure everybody has got it right.

Is there some strange conspiresy to have Romo ran out of the country or what?:banghead:

I agree. I've often thought that showed good leadership to take a couple extra seconds to make sure everyone is on the same page. And I also think that more often than not, Romo's got everyone lined up with plenty of time. There are lots of plays where he has a chance to look over the defense and audible, etc. He does tend to snap the ball at the last second, which may give the defense a chance to jump the count, though.

watertown

Reaction score
bull crap bs no truth gie me facts moderators this half of evrything in this is crap

pgreptom

Reaction score
superpunk;2481753 said:
Let's see....Tony Romo was conducting a huddle with a now third string LG, a third string rookie RB at starter, a #2 WR who's only been here a month, against the best defense in the NFL, in a loud stadium in the bitter cold....

Yeah, I can see how they'd need a little more time in the huddle.

No way.

That would make too much sense.

Don't try to rationalize what the media says.

It just.. doesn't work.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2481976 said:
It's not good football in all situations. They usually do it all game long, ahead or behind.

It's often resulted in chaos, with Romo frantically trying to get Gurode to snap the ball at the last instant. It also increases the possibility of a false start, which we have a problem with already, not to mention that the D can hold whatever look it wants to show until the final second on the play clock, knowing that almost without fail we aren't snapping it until the last second or two.

Then there's the issue that if you take more time, you're getting less plays over the course of a game. If you're the better team, you want there to be more plays. You want a longer game.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Hostile;2481665 said:
We are now the only team who ever gets a Delay of Game.

Judas Priest.

While it is a little overblown, I would like to see a faster tempo.

More than anything, I would like to see the team audible more than the whole "kill, kill". I know that technically is an audible but I would like to see Tony get up there, take a look at the D and then start directing.

Don't just shut it down to plan B if A doesn't look good, take advantage of what you have unless you really don't know what the hell the D is doing.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
newlander;2481657 said:
He points out that Romo runs the huddle like a pee wee QB. I have to agree: why does most every play seem like a lecture? Are guys not sure of their assignments or what?Watch otherQB's:Favre/ManningBros,Big Ben, Delhomme, K.Collins: they get in the huddle,call the play&BREAK. That's it: no gestures with their hands, and certainly not the length of time he takes. What's up with this?:confused:

Mosley: Regarding your question about Garrett vs. Spagnuolo, I think the Cowboys have to speed up their tempo. For some reason, they couldn't seem to get to the line of scrimmage quick enough and they were barely getting plays off in time. Romo treats the huddle like he's a pee wee coach. He goes around and instructs three or four players what to do. Get out of the huddle and run a stinkin' play. It looked as if the Cowboys were out of sync for most of the game against the Steelers. Against the Giants, the Cowboys need to follow the blueprint Andy Reid just provided. Commit to the running game. Don't give up -- even if you start with eight carries for 10 yards. Keep banging away. Also, stop trying to appease T.O. Sometimes the Cowboys will go through stretches where their entire focus is getting T.O. going. Throw to the guy who's open. I'm told Jerry Jones ducked into Garrett's office this week and reminded him that Roy Williams is now on the roster. Let's see if the Cowboys will finally make a concerted effort to get him the ball -- on right-handed throws

PeeWee Coach...

You are serious... right?

mmohican29

Reaction score
I agree to an extent. This does not look like a polished offensive unit when it breaks the huddle. It's a bit unorganized and you have WR's staring at one another and gesturing... it's just sloppy and we run perilously close to delay of game penalties. It would seem to me that we would be more effective with a play called quickly getting to the line sharply then reading the defense thoroughly vs a haphazard read with 3 seconds on the play clock left.

Oldschool7

Benched
Reaction score
When you have two rookies in your sets and a guy who has been around a month...

yeah I'd say we should blame Tony that he can only direct every player on his responsibilities in .9 seconds rather than 1.3 seconds.

Oldschool7

Benched
Reaction score
Now maybe if Jerry would decide that camp is a place to learn football rather than host HBO television...

And Wade would grow a pair and tighten up the ship...

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
If this is true, its another indictment on the coaching staff.

Romo shouldnt have to spend huddle time tutoring the others on what to do and where to line up. Hell, we even have sloppy huddles, and Romo still often has to correct the formation at the LOS. Wow.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Doomsday;2481949 said:
No but if you would of watched the play clock the last 3 weeks you would of noticed that almost every single play it has been down to 1 or 2 seconds before the ball is snapped. We are spending way too much time in the huddle for whatever reason.

With the lead why not take every second off the clock?
As long as they penalties start rolling in who cares?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2483084 said:
With the lead why not take every second off the clock?
As long as they penalties start rolling in who cares?

Obviously it is smart when you have the lead, but it usually starts on the first possession and continues through out the game. Im not blaming Romo, it could be Garrett isnt getting the play in really fast enough or whatever. Like was mentioned above it isnt all roses when you see them having to hurry up to the line and rush to get lined up and the snap ball really quickly, as has been the case more then a few times as of late.

If the plan is to waste the clock then great go for it, but again as mentioned above do it after you break the huddle so you have enough time to read the defense or whatever. It also seems odd that we are trying to run the clock when we clearly have the better offense, you would think more possessions would be beneficial.

Again Im not blaming Romo and the whole pee wee crack is stupid but I do think there is merit to the point that we need better tempo on offense.