Most durable players in Cowboys history

joseephuss

Reaction score
Most Consecutive Starts by Cowboys QBs All Time
  • 64 - Dak Prescott (So far, never missed a start)
  • 47 - Tony Romo (Durable until his last 4 seasons)
I disagree. He missed 3 games in 2008 and 10 in 2010. That 47 game streak began in 2011 and lasted until he missed the final game of the 2013 season. It was a nice streak for him, but he got hurt throughout his career. It wasn't just at the end. He played through a lot of it, too.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
The all time leading rusher didn't miss too many games, IIRC. Which is remarkable due to the position he played. Zeke hasn't missed any games either.
Zeke got suspended in 2017. So his starting streak ended began anew after the return from suspension. Then he sat out the Giants game in 2018 with the playoffs and home field sealed before the last game of the season.

Plus we got a lot going on with consecutive versus most played.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Durability is one of THE MOST underrated abilities an NFL player can possess. There are plenty of former Cowboys who never met their potential because they were not able to stay on the field. Former Cowboys CB Mo Claiborne is a good example of a guy who just couldn’t stay on the field. In his 5 years here, he only played in 43 of 80 games.

Below are some of the most durable players in Cowboys history overall, and some that are recent.
Some of the All time Most Consecutive Starts by Cowboys Players-
  • 245 - Jason Witten
  • 234 - LP Ladaceur
  • 203 - Ed “Too Tall” Jones
  • 196 - Bob Lily- (Started EVERY game he was eligible to play in! Never missed a start)
  • 139 - Emmitt Smith (remarkable for a RB)
  • 134 - DD Lewis- Underrated LB from the 70s
  • 120 - Randy White
  • 43 - Roger Staubach (Actually had two separate long streaks- 43 and 41games)
  • 34 - Troy Aikman
Recent Cowboys Players with Long Durability Streaks
  • Travis Frederick- 80 games
  • Byron Jones- 80
  • Brandon Carr- 80 (Has 196 straight games total- Has never missed a game)
  • Zack Martin- 64
  • Dak Prescott- 64
The reason durability is so important is it means you can count on that guy being there, game in game out.
The most remarkable record of durability besides Witten is Bob Lily- He started every game in his 15 year NFL career, never missing a single game.

I may have missed a guy here and there. So feel free to add any that I missed.
I hate the non stop posts here isolating a single stat to prop Dak up, but this one is the real deal. Dude is super durable and it is a big plus in his favor. Heck all those other posts saying he is top 7 in throwing to the left side of the filed in the 3rd quarter, etc, etc , etc are mostly because the dude never misses a play, of course he is going to be up there in all the counting stats. But his durability is a solid check mark in his favor.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Durability is one of THE MOST underrated abilities an NFL player can possess. There are plenty of former Cowboys who never met their potential because they were not able to stay on the field. Former Cowboys CB Mo Claiborne is a good example of a guy who just couldn’t stay on the field. In his 5 years here, he only played in 43 of 80 games.

Below are some of the most durable players in Cowboys history overall, and some that are recent.
Some of the All time Most Consecutive Starts by Cowboys Players-
  • 245 - Jason Witten
  • 234 - LP Ladaceur
  • 203 - Ed “Too Tall” Jones
  • 196 - Bob Lily- (Started EVERY game he was eligible to play in! Never missed a start)
  • 139 - Emmitt Smith (remarkable for a RB)
  • 134 - DD Lewis- Underrated LB from the 70s
  • 120 - Randy White
  • 43 - Roger Staubach (Actually had two separate long streaks- 43 and 41games)
  • 34 - Troy Aikman
Recent Cowboys Players with Long Durability Streaks
  • Travis Frederick- 80 games
  • Byron Jones- 80
  • Brandon Carr- 80 (Has 196 straight games total- Has never missed a game)
  • Zack Martin- 64
  • Dak Prescott- 64
The reason durability is so important is it means you can count on that guy being there, game in game out.
The most remarkable record of durability besides Witten is Bob Lily- He started every game in his 15 year NFL career, never missing a single game.

I may have missed a guy here and there. So feel free to add any that I missed.
in Staubachs defense he had a long stretch of starts but Landry would rest him the last game of the season after they had secured home field.

Swagger

Reaction score
I like Romo. I don't think he was made of glass. I also don't think he was super durable. He was always getting knicked up. Put 47 consecutive starts in context. That is one game shy of 3 full seasons. That is not that long. He played beat up.
I agree.

He would have enjoyed playing in this current era as the quarterbacks have far better protection

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree. He missed 3 games in 2008 and 10 in 2010. That 47 game streak began in 2011 and lasted until he missed the final game of the 2013 season. It was a nice streak for him, but he got hurt throughout his career. It wasn't just at the end. He played through a lot of it, too.
I would never argue that Tony Romo was a very durable QB overall. He did have a streak of 47 consecutive games started, and there’s nothing to agree or disagree with there. It’s just a fact. But after the 2009 season, Romo was far from durable.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
in Staubachs defense he had a long stretch of starts but Landry would rest him the last game of the season after they had secured home field.
Roger was tough as nails. He played in an era where QBs were thrown around like rag dolls, and he took many of what would be considered cheap shots today, but was almost encouraged in those days.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Roger was tough as nails. He played in an era where QBs were thrown around like rag dolls, and he took many of what would be considered cheap shots today, but was almost encouraged in those days.

Staubach > Aikman > White > Dak > Romo > QCar > Garrett > Chutch

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Prescott has quickly crushed all-time Cowboys records for reliability and health. Heck, he did it just as soon as he possibly could and has built on it from there.

The best ability is availability.

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
e03f1320-2b76-45f8-aed6-9f0ca70847ea-jpeg.690584

Prescott has quickly crushed all-time Cowboys records for reliability and health. Heck, he did it just as soon as he possibly could and has built on it from there.

The best ability is availability.
i dont think tebow missed any games lol, dak did get beat up somewhat last year and then played, and lost
I think how good a qb is matters, if he isnt good enough it doesnt matter if he plays every game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i dont think tebow missed any games lol, dak did get beat up somewhat last year and then played, and lost
I think how good a qb is matters, if he isnt good enough it doesnt matter if he plays every game.

Does it matter if he's "good" and he doesn't play?

Are you consistent?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll give Dak that - I can't think of another NFL player who hasn't missed a single game in his first 4 NFL seasons. Unfortunately, that hasn't resulted in post season success, which is the main reason many of us are hesitant to agree with his belief that he should be the highest paid player in the NFL.

He's simply next in line to get paid.

I didn't see the torches and pitchforks out when Goff and Wentz were getting paid for far less accomplishments on the field. When, by the way, they've both been well paid since day one.