Most durable players in Cowboys history

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I want to see if Dak gets paid does that turn on his leadership abilities a little more. If he becomes more outspoken and demanding to his teammates.

Qcard

Reaction score
We're celebrating participation trophies now?
Ummm in a Professional Sport where 300lb men have ballerina feet and track speed...

YES!! Participation is a trophy winner

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Ummm in a Professional Sport where 300lb men have ballerina feet and track speed...

YES!! Participation is a trophy winner
You realize this takes the "he was hurt" excuse for the Philly debacle off the table, don't you?

Can't have it both ways.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We're celebrating participation trophies now?
You don’t appreciate durability? Wow. Being able to count on a player being there every week is not a participation trophy. When you look at the Cowboys’ list of most durable players, like Bob Lily, who literally started every single game in his 15 year career, I don’t see that as “participation trophy”. Surely you don’t either.

Gorgon

Reaction score
Durability is one of THE MOST underrated abilities an NFL player can possess. There are plenty of former Cowboys who never met their potential because they were not able to stay on the field. Former Cowboys CB Mo Claiborne is a good example of a guy who just couldn’t stay on the field. In his 5 years here, he only played in 43 of 80 games.

Below are some of the most durable players in Cowboys history overall, and some that are recent.
Some of the All time Most Consecutive Starts by Cowboys Players-
  • 245 - Jason Witten
  • 234 - LP Ladaceur
  • 203 - Ed “Too Tall” Jones
  • 196 - Bob Lily- (Started EVERY game he was eligible to play in! Never missed a start)
  • 139 - Emmitt Smith (remarkable for a RB)
  • 134 - DD Lewis- Underrated LB from the 70s
  • 120 - Randy White
Most Consecutive Starts by Cowboys QBs All Time
  • 64 - Dak Prescott (So far, never missed a start)
  • 47 - Tony Romo (Durable until his last 4 seasons)
  • 43 - Roger Staubach (Actually had two separate long streaks- 43 and 41games)
  • 34 - Troy Aikman
Recent Cowboys Players with Long Durability Streaks
  • Travis Frederick- 80 games
  • Byron Jones- 80
  • Brandon Carr- 80 (Has 196 straight games total- Has never missed a game)
  • Zack Martin- 64
  • Dak Prescott- 64
The reason durability is so important is it means you can count on that guy being there, game in game out.
The most remarkable record of durability besides Witten is Bob Lily- He started every game in his 15 year NFL career, never missing a single game.

I may have missed a guy here and there. So feel free to add any that I missed.
# 74 with no exceptions!!!!

White, Smith, Jones & Lily stand out. In the 1960s and 1970s there was virtually NO platooning or "situation defense. Even by White and Jones's time, they played almost every snap. In fact, some of the first platooning I recall was at the end of Lily's career, Landry put in Jones & Martin to replace the starters for a pass rush. Lily never left a game for any reason.

Smith, on the other hand, was amazing. The worst two hits he ever took were in the Giants' game to decide the homefield advantage in the 1993 playoffs, where after a long run a Giants player took him down on his shoulder & separated his shoulder---and he STILL came back and dominated the game; and the neck issue in Chicago when he went up over a pile. Otherwise, Emmitt had a tremendous talent for not taking a big hit.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don’t appreciate durability? Wow. Being able to count on a player being there every week is not a participation trophy. When you look at the Cowboys’ list of most durable players, like Bob Lily, who literally started every single game in his 15 year career, I don’t see that as “participation trophy”. Surely you don’t either.

People get mad at Dak about the money and it clouds their judgement in being rational about anything else.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Durability and availability, try to keep up.

:facepalm:
What metric is being used to validate the durability of the player?

Since you seem to struggle with critical thinking I'll go ahead and answer that for you.

Ready? Here it is.... consecutive starts!

Quite literally an award for participating. Quite literally being championed by some of the same people who excuse the player's awful performance in a must win game because the player was injured.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What metric is being used to validate the durability of the player?

Since you seem to struggle with critical thinking I'll go ahead and answer that for you.

Ready? Here it is.... consecutive starts!

Quite literally an award for participating. Quite literally being championed by some of the same people who excuse the player's awful performance in a must win game because the player was injured.

I'm "struggling with critical thinking"? Who's the goof trying to minimize a player being on the field every time he's called upon? The guy trying to minimize the fact that Prescott has done it better than any quarterback in team history?

That guy should be embarrassed, if he had any sense.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Of course I appreciate durability. It is a necessary component of an effective career.

Durability alone isn't enough, though. Celebrating durability as a standalone quality is like being the only person at your birthday party.

Especially when the most recent season hinged on this player's lack of durability in a crucial game.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I'm "struggling with critical thinking"? Who's the goof trying to minimize a player being on the field every time he's called upon? The guy trying to minimize the fact that Prescott has done it better than any quarterback in team history?

That guy should be embarrassed, if he had any sense.
Yay Dak!!!

Thanks for being "on the field" to lead us to 8-8 and no playoffs. At least you were "on the field" to choke away the season and the playoffs against a division rival.

What kind of goof accepts stinking up the joint simple because the player was "on the field".

Now that is embarrassing.