Most enjoyable non-Super Bowl Cowboys seasons

Red Dragon

Reaction score
The Cowboys have played 58 seasons. 53 of those ended with no Lombardi Trophy; 50 of them ended with no Super Bowl appearance. Still worth talking about though.

My four favorite would be:

• 1994: This team was still one of the best in Cowboys history, maybe even better than some of the SB-winning versions. Had league's No. 1 defense. Loaded and primed and ready to three-peat. If it weren't for a goal-line failure against the Browns, an Emmitt injury and unfair reffing, this team may very well have done it.
  • 2003: The light at the end of the dark tunnel. After three straight 5-11 seasons under Campo, Parcells came to town and took Dallas to 10-6 and the playoffs. Given the weak state of the NFC that year, this team could even have gone 12-4.
  • 2007: Cowboys were NFC's top seed for first time in twelve years. All-around fun season until the last few weeks. Horrific loss to Giants in playoffs due to Fasano drop, two Crayton miscues and weak defense. But still the funnest in a long time.
  • 2014: This team was made of sturdier stuff than the 2007 version - and, unlike previous teams, went a scorching 4-0 in December, absolutely blowing past opponents (the Cowboys averaged 41 points per game that December, beating the Bears, Commanders, Colts and Eagles by an average margin of victory of three touchdowns.) But even if they beat the Packers, I don't think they win the NFC title game in Seattle.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
The Cowboys have played 58 seasons. 53 of those ended with no Lombardi Trophy; 50 of them ended with no Super Bowl appearance. Still worth talking about though.

• 1994: This team was still one of the best in Cowboys history, maybe even better than some of the SB-winning versions. Had league's No. 1 defense. Loaded and primed and ready to three-peat. If it weren't for a goal-line failure against the Browns, an Emmitt injury and unfair reffing, this team may very well have done it.
  • 2003: The light at the end of the dark tunnel. After three straight 5-11 seasons under Campo, Parcells came to town and took Dallas to 10-6 and the playoffs. Given the weak state of the NFC that year, this team could even have gone 12-4.
  • 2007: Cowboys were NFC's top seed for first time in twelve years. All-around fun season until the last few weeks. Horrific loss to Giants in playoffs due to Fasano drop, two Crayton miscues and weak defense. But still the funnest in a long time.
  • 2014: This team was made of sturdier stuff than the 2007 version - and, unlike previous teams, went a scorching 4-0 in December, absolutely blowing past opponents (the Cowboys averaged 41 points per game that December, beating the Bears, Commanders, Colts and Eagles by an average margin of victory of three touchdowns.) But even if they beat the Packers, I don't think they win the NFC title game in Seattle.

I really enjoyed 2016. Dak was a pleasant surprise and that draft class was superb. If Aaron Rodgers didn't make one of the most incredible passes of all time we had a good shot at making a real Super Bowl run.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

2019!

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
2007 This was a talented team, think they set a record for Pro Bowls. Thought they were by far the best team in the NFC, could have went 14-2. Lost to the Giants, who they swept in the regular season, and ended up winning the Super Bowl.
2009 They overcame a lot of adversity. The Saints win is still top 5 to me. They killed the Eagles back to back weeks, including the playoffs. They just weren't as talented as Minnesota.
2014 I had low expectations (thought they would be lucky to win 5 games) and they ended up being a top 5 teams despite a poor defense.
2016 Easily my favorite because of Dak and Zeke. They brought much needed excitement to Dallas. They won some epic games (SNF Philly, @ Pit). Garrett didn't have them ready to play, were down 21-3 against GB.
I can't say last years team. Post @ Philly win sure but they pissed me off for the first 8 games of the season.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
2014 for me.

I loved how physical that team was. They just pounded teams.

It was a big reason they went undefeated on the road.

I loved watching them go into Seattle and out bully the bullies. Seattle was beat to hell after that game.

Peter King watched the Dallas-Green Bay playoff game with Richard Sherman, and King noted that when it became obvious that Dallas would lose and GB would advance, Sherman jumped up off the couch and raised his arms.

He wanted nothing to do with having to face that physical Dallas team a second time.

408Cowboy

Reaction score

I would at 16 and 18 to that list.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
1974 -- Rare non-playoff year under Landry, but team had a winning record and the Thanksgiving Day Clint Longley game was that year.

1975 Was a non Super Bowl championship year, but we did go to the SB. That was the year Landry rebuilt with a log of rookies and we got the Hail Mary game against Minnesota.

MTerrazzano

Reaction score
1981. My first full year watching the Cowboys. I still think the '81 (along with '94) were the best non-Super Bowl teams. Unfortunately '81 came to heartbreaking end at Candlestick with the Catch and then the Fumble.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
2007 This was a talented team, think they set a record for Pro Bowls. Thought they were by far the best team in the NFC, could have went 14-2. Lost to the Giants, who they swept in the regular season, and ended up winning the Super Bowl.

What made this season fun was also the wild wackiness of it. There was the game where Romo picked up a high snap and ran 30 yards for a first down. There was the wild Monday Nighter where Romo led Dallas to a 25-24 comeback win over Buffalo. There was the four-TD passes to Owens against Washington, and also another 28-27 wild comeback win at Detroit.

TWOK11

Reaction score
2007, 2009, 2014 and 2016 were really, really fun

1994 was just disappointing

2006 is underrated, the emergence of Romo was an incredibly exciting time

The worst was 1999, we came out hot and started 3-0 including wins against division favorites Washington and Atlanta. We THROTTLED Atlanta and Arizona, the offense and Aikman looked unstoppable and we were looking ready for one last ride with the triplets. Then Irvin and Moose get hurt, Aikman plays injured much of the year and we limp to 8-8. I still think that team could have challenged the Rams for the NFC if they’d stayed healthy.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
What made this season fun was also the wild wackiness of it. There was the game where Romo picked up a high snap and ran 30 yards for a first down. There was the wild Monday Nighter where Romo led Dallas to a 25-24 comeback win over Buffalo. There was the four-TD passes to Owens against Washington, and also another 28-27 wild comeback win at Detroit.
I think of the 2007, 2009, 2014, 2016, 2018 teams 2007 was the most likely to win a Super Bowl. They had the pass rush to knock Brady on his butt.

John813

Reaction score
2016 was unexpectedly fun. Too bad the defense wasn't what it was in 2018.
2007 was fun too, but ended in heartbreak. Same could be said for 2014, but that defense was bad.

2009 was great in that they had to face a tough Eagles team 3 times that year and went 3-0.
Especially since the week 17 matchup was going to decide who won the NFC East and they shutout the Eagles.
Then the following wildcard game they have another strong showing against the eagles again.

cowboyec

Reaction score
1981. My first full year watching the Cowboys. I still think the '81 (along with '94) were the best non-Super Bowl teams. Unfortunately '81 came to heartbreaking end at Candlestick with the Catch and then the Fumble.
that was a helluva team...Danny,Tony D and the 'boys were fun to watch.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
Wasn't that the one where the Cowboys NEVER lead during the game, but won on the Field Goal on the last play where the ball went through the uprights after regulation ended?

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score

I was always the biggest Romo fan and it was arguably his most brilliant season. He was one fluke call away from greatness. That team was physical, relentless, and played far beyond it's talent. Dez Bryant was a force in this league and that OL suplexed everyone. It wasn't even fair.

I'll never forget lying hungover on my couch and watching that shellacking that they gave the Colts to clinch the division.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We’ve had a lot to choose from the last 24 seasons! I’m assuming we’re talking about teams that did not WIN the SB. Here’s my list:
  • 1967 Team- Their SB dreams ended in the final seconds on the frozen tundra of Lambeau field in the Ice Bowl, one step before SB II. What a different NFL we would have if Dallas had won that game because they would have won that SB against Oakland and the “Lombardi” trophy might have been called the “Landry” trophy.
  • The 1975 Team- the famous “Dirty Dozen” team that was predicted to do nothing but won the NFC Championship and lost to the Steelers 21-17 in SB X. My second favorite team ever. Probably Landry’s greatest coaching job. They re-introduced the shotgun formation to the NFL and Roger Staubach torched defenses with it.
  • The 1981 Team- Arguably the best Cowboys team that didn’t make a SB. They lost to the young up and coming 49ers in “The Catch” game. One of the top 3 heartbreaking losses in Cowboys history. The best team Danny White ever had. I will always believe they were the best team that year but fell to a red hot niners bunch that launched Joe Montana’s playoff glory and was the beginning of the end of the Landry era.
  • The 2007 Team- Probably the most talented team Tony Romo ever had. Parcells had assembled some talent in his 4 years in Big D, and this team should have won the NFC. The 13-3 regular season was so much fun, only to see the #1 seed Cowboys not show up against the midgets. Fun team. Huge disappointment in the end.
  • The 2014 Team- In what was essentially “Romo’s Last Stand”, this team was fun to watch. They ran the ball so well that year with DeMarco Murray they could overpower almost any team. Romo had finally learned not to carry the team by playing “hero ball” and had an MVP type season. Would have been fun to see them play Sea in NFC championship but in the end, we didn’t have enough defense to stop Rodgers.
  • The 2016 Team- Watching rookies Dak and Zeke take the NFL by surprise and get the #1 seed in the NFC was a thrill. Every week was thrilling because when Romo got hurt, no one expected that team to do anything. The first round loss the pack was a kick in the nads....again. But that regular season was a really thrilling ride.
Those were all fun teams that could have won a ring. As I look back, the ‘75 and ‘16 teams were probably the most fun because both were expected to do nothing. I’ve always loved an underdog.