Most enjoyable non-Super Bowl Cowboys seasons

eromeopolk

Reaction score
2009 my home city New Orleans, LA after Hurricane Katrina won its 1st Super Bowl with ex Cowboys Offensive Coordinator Sean Payton as Head Coach.

Who Dat! Who Dat! Who Dat say they gonna beat Dem Saints!

If the Cowboys don't go to the Super Bowl, I want the Saints to go for my family and friends in New Orleans.

iRepDatStar

Reaction score
07 was fun because we were running thru teams and putting up numbers

14 was great to me cause of beating the saints.. Seahawks.. eagles and that week 17 game was fun cuz we didn't even need it to get into the playoffs and we ran thru the skins in a revenge game.. playoff win.. 14 hurt the most tho because of that horrible call

16 was fun because of the win streak but it was also said because the end of Romo and pretty much Dez.

I'm thinking if I had to pick one.. probably 2014

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
"Most enjoyable non-Super Bowl Cowboys seasons"

What? There is no such thing. What kind of loser enjoys a non-super bowl season?

mmohican29

Reaction score
I still say we were robbed in 2007. One sided officiating kept the Giants alive all day long until the Cowboys frustrated themselves to a loss.

If we beat GB in '14 we win the Super Bowl. We would have beaten Seattle in convincing fashion and defeated the Pats as well. Not a given if the Dez catch play stands as called but likelihood of victory moves to about 65% as the Packers would have pushed to score leaving time for Romo

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I still say we were robbed in 2007. One sided officiating kept the Giants alive all day long until the Cowboys frustrated themselves to a loss.

If we beat GB in '14 we win the Super Bowl. We would have beaten Seattle in convincing fashion and defeated the Pats as well. Not a given if the Dez catch play stands as called but likelihood of victory moves to about 65% as the Packers would have pushed to score leaving time for Romo
Agree 07 and 14 could have been Super Bowls. Dallas was the second best team all season. Played the Giants almost better than anyone on their playoff run. I still think even if Dallas beats GB in 2016 they would lose to ATL or NE.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I can't lie...I've always held a special place for Coach Landry's last 3...86,87,88.
86 for what might've been had Danny White not gotten hurt....87 and especially 88 because those boys didn't quit.....they didn't have alot of talent but they had alotta heart....88 could've been different if they had held on to some leads.

Red Dragon

Reaction score

For sure. DeMarcus Ware was not offsides - that led to the Giants drive being kept alive, which then led to a long Giants TD.

But the defense was horrific in that first half. Amani Toomer scored a 52-yard touchdown because of numerous missed Cowboys tackles. And after Romo had led the offense on a 20-play, 90-yard drive that chewed up enormous amount of clock (which, in theory, should have kept the Dallas defense perfectly rested,) the Cowboys defense then surrendered a touchdown drive to Eli and Co. in 47 seconds or something like that. Even the TV commentators spoke about how "pitiful" that defense was.

What should have been a 14-3 Cowboys lead turned into a tied 14-14 game at halftime.

And even then, Fasano dropped a pass in the end zone, Crayton dropped that pass, then quit on his route near the end of the game. If those things hadn't happened, it would have been perhaps a 34-21 Cowboys lead.

That game could have been won on so many different occasions.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
What? There is no such thing. What kind of loser enjoys a non-super bowl season?

If you want to consider 91% of the Cowboys' seasons up to date to be "non-enjoyable," then feel free to do so.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys have played 58 seasons. 53 of those ended with no Lombardi Trophy; 50 of them ended with no Super Bowl appearance. Still worth talking about though.

My four favorite would be:

• 1994: This team was still one of the best in Cowboys history, maybe even better than some of the SB-winning versions. Had league's No. 1 defense. Loaded and primed and ready to three-peat. If it weren't for a goal-line failure against the Browns, an Emmitt injury and unfair reffing, this team may very well have done it.
  • 2003: The light at the end of the dark tunnel. After three straight 5-11 seasons under Campo, Parcells came to town and took Dallas to 10-6 and the playoffs. Given the weak state of the NFC that year, this team could even have gone 12-4.
  • 2007: Cowboys were NFC's top seed for first time in twelve years. All-around fun season until the last few weeks. Horrific loss to Giants in playoffs due to Fasano drop, two Crayton miscues and weak defense. But still the funnest in a long time.
  • 2014: This team was made of sturdier stuff than the 2007 version - and, unlike previous teams, went a scorching 4-0 in December, absolutely blowing past opponents (the Cowboys averaged 41 points per game that December, beating the Bears, Commanders, Colts and Eagles by an average margin of victory of three touchdowns.) But even if they beat the Packers, I don't think they win the NFC title game in Seattle.

Don’t know how anyone could include the 94 season as an enjoyable non Super Bowl season. No season that ends in a conference championship loss especially after back to back Super Bowl wins is enjoyable. That 94 title game loss to the 49ers stung! Had the Cowboys won that game they would have gone on to win their 3rd straight Super Bowl. The Chargers wouldn’t have had any better chance of beating the Cowboys than the 49ers. The 2007 season was one of the most disappointing seasons in franchise history. Don’t know how any Cowboys fan found that season enjoyable. The Cowboys went one and done after being the number one seed losing to a Giants team they beat twice during the regular season. Watching the Giants win the Super Bowl added insult to injury.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The most enjoyable non Super Bowl winning season for me was the 91 season. The Cowboys made the playoffs for the first time in six years and won a playoff game on the road with their backup QB. You could clearly see the team had turned the corner and that something special was on the horizon.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Don’t know how anyone could include the 94 season as an enjoyable non Super Bowl season. No season that ends in a conference championship loss especially after back to back Super Bowl wins is enjoyable. That 94 title game loss to the 49ers stung! Had the Cowboys won that game they would have gone on to win their 3rd straight Super Bowl. The Chargers wouldn’t have had any better chance of beating the Cowboys than the 49ers. The 2007 season was one of the most disappointing seasons in franchise history. Don’t know how any Cowboys fan found that season enjoyable. The Cowboys went one and done after being the number one seed losing to a Giants team they beat twice during the regular season. Watching the Giants win the Super Bowl added insult to injury.

In my mind, the regular season and playoffs are like two separate seasons, not melded into one. The fact that the Cowboys lost horrifically to the Giants in the 2007 playoffs doesn't negate the fun of the 13-3 regular season itself.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In my mind, the regular season and playoffs are like two separate seasons, not melded into one. The fact that the Cowboys lost horrifically to the Giants in the 2007 playoffs doesn't negate the fun of the 13-3 regular season itself.

There isn’t any fun about a 13-3 season that ends in a one and out especially to a team we beat twice during the regular season.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The only thing anyone remembers about the 07 season was the Cowboys going on one and out and Romo’s trip to Cabo. It angers me every time I think back to that season.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
There isn’t any fun about a 13-3 season that ends in a one and out especially to a team we beat twice during the regular season.

This will just have to be an agree-to-disagree thing.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
2007 last time I was thinking superbowl
2014 fun season even with the usual meh defense
2016 really fun season as I expected 6-10

JayFord

Reaction score

Beating Philly not once not twice but Three Times is the kind of season I just smile at

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
The Cowboys have played 58 seasons. 53 of those ended with no Lombardi Trophy; 50 of them ended with no Super Bowl appearance. Still worth talking about though.

My four favorite would be:

• 1994: This team was still one of the best in Cowboys history, maybe even better than some of the SB-winning versions. Had league's No. 1 defense. Loaded and primed and ready to three-peat. If it weren't for a goal-line failure against the Browns, an Emmitt injury and unfair reffing, this team may very well have done it.
  • 2003: The light at the end of the dark tunnel. After three straight 5-11 seasons under Campo, Parcells came to town and took Dallas to 10-6 and the playoffs. Given the weak state of the NFC that year, this team could even have gone 12-4.
  • 2007: Cowboys were NFC's top seed for first time in twelve years. All-around fun season until the last few weeks. Horrific loss to Giants in playoffs due to Fasano drop, two Crayton miscues and weak defense. But still the funnest in a long time.
  • 2014: This team was made of sturdier stuff than the 2007 version - and, unlike previous teams, went a scorching 4-0 in December, absolutely blowing past opponents (the Cowboys averaged 41 points per game that December, beating the Bears, Commanders, Colts and Eagles by an average margin of victory of three touchdowns.) But even if they beat the Packers, I don't think they win the NFC title game in Seattle.
1973 (great year for Staubach, won the division)
1979 the way they ended the regular season against the skins to win the division was an all time great ending
1991 making the playoffs after those horrible years at 1-15 and 3-13
probably more but Im tired of thinking :)

Red Dragon

Reaction score

Beating Philly not once not twice but Three Times is the kind of season I just smile at
Yeah, especially after they crushed Dallas 44-6 in the previous season finale. It was utter despair for Philadelphia a year later.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
You listed all of mine, except I would also add 2009 and 2016 to the list.

And while the entire 2018 season wasn't enjoyable, the jump from 3-5 to 10-6 from last November right through beating Seattle in the playoffs was fun too.