Most Improved in 2021 - Run D or Pass D?

Big_D

Reaction score
I judge players from what they gave me.

Anea has short arms and was a very risky pick. From what i read he is not the player Quinn looks for.
That Gallimoe is better than Hill is a big assumption. But Hill is still considered a bust so Gallimore may be nothing more than that.

Parsons may be great but ONLY and ONLY if we will support him with a great DL. He is a roaming, blitzing LB and no one who can take on and destroy OL players. We dont even have a medicore DL. So i dont expect him to be a big difference.

Jospeph may be a good CB but he will need some adjusment time like Diggs needed. So i dont expect him to play on a good level until week 10. He also has some character conerns.

With all that said the probability that our defense will be even as good as last year is very low.

Bohanna, a 2 down 1 tech who can occupy blocks and allow the LBs to roam? Then you add multiple LBs and arguably one of the best defenders in the draft and most definitely the top LB, a quality corner in the second, 2 more DL in the 3rd. They spent 8 picks on the D and you think they're no better? Then you're just fooling yourself or being negative for the sake of being negative. But I finally see a team willing to really work at improving that side of the roster. Not just the lip service that's been happening here.

Players definitely need an adjustment period and a development period. You're probably gonna be disappointed if you're looking for a Super Bowl this year? I'm looking at a 4 to 5 year window but 3 at a minimum to turn this team around from the choking slobs they've been for a long time.

This isn't a 1 off season project. Last year there was zero off season with no workouts at all, no preseason, a weak camp and a new coach, pretty legit reasons they didn't do well in a coaches first year. The other HC got 10 years, 7 with the same DC and they were pure garbage. I'm seeing at least a much different mindset than before and it's going to take time.

Last edited:

Beaker42

Reaction score
We had a very interesting Draft adding talent on every level of the Defense so i ask where do you see the most improvement ? Run Defense or the Pass Defense

I am going Run D but that may be the easy choice since they were so historically bad their really is only one way to go LOL

Brent Urban i think was an interesting pickup to help solve this based on his strength vs the run
I’m gonna say pass D

jnday

Reaction score
If they didn't make a single personnel change the defense would still be better this year.
I think that is putting too much hope in Quinn to coach the improvements needed out the defensive players if he is capable. The Atlanta defense was not good and Quinn didn’t make it much better.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Bohanna, a 2 down 1 tech who can occupy blocks and allow the LBs to roam? Then you add multiple LBs and arguably one of the best defenders in the draft and most definitely the top LB, a quality corner in the second, 2 more DL in the 3rd. They spent 8 picks on the D and you think they're no better? Then you're just fooling yourself or being negative for the sake of being negative. But I finally see a team willing to really work at improving that side of the roster. Not just the lip service that's been happening here.

Players definitely need an adjustment period and a development period. You're probably gonna be disappointed if you're looking for a Super Bowl this year? I'm looking at a 4 to 5 year window but 3 at a minimum to turn this team around from the choking slobs they've been for a long time.

This isn't a 1 off season project. Last year there was zero off season with no workouts at all, no preseason, a weak camp and a new coach, pretty legit reasons they didn't do well in a coaches first year. The other HC got 10 years, 7 with the same DC and they were pure garbage. I'm seeing at least a much different mindset than before and it's going to take time.

I am not looking for a SB this year and that wasnt the theme here either.

Bohanna right now cant be considered an upgrade over Woods. And Woods also is gone.That leaves us with one rookie run stopper on the whole DL. WOW!

We at least need a backup or do you want him to play 60 snaps all season ? A rookie. What do you do if he gets hurt ?

This Bohanna thing is the same brainfu// we heard last year when we signd two FA DTs. The one sucked the other got hurt in TC. And there went our DL hopes out of the window.

My pont is: To expect a good DL line play it will take time. Like the rebuild of our OL (starting with Frederick) took at least 3 years.

We didnt add multiple LBs. That sounds like we drafted 5 of them. We took arguably the best defender in the draft. But he is what he is: no thumper. He need a good DL that can protect him and let him roam. Which - i repeat myself - this team hasnt.

We also lost Lee which will have a big impact. Especially LVE profited from his knowledge. Smith was bad last year and from all we hear from OTAs he might be even worse this year. That leaves LVE and Parsons. 1 injury prone the other a rookie. We also drafted Cox which is more of a third down safety/cover LB twenner. You cant expect him be an upgrade at the run game. And THAT was our problem last year.

And to spend 8 picks on defense doesnt mean those players will improve our team. Dont mistake quantity for quality. I see 2 maybe 3 players that can improve our defense in certain situations. But also not from the beginning of the season.

The quality Corner Jpseph you are talking about may pan out, but he is a risky pick that was taken way to early. We may have luck but we may also have another wasted 2nd roundpick. Id be happy if he pans out but right now i try to weight everything into it and the guy has a 50% chance to not even be on the roster in 2022.

Overall i do think we will be hard pressed to win more than 6 games this year. If we do i'll be happy. But i dont think so. Id rather expect another downtrend.

Last edited: