Most Overrated/Underrated

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Overrated:
T.J. Hockenson - Good prospect but the hype on him has reached epic proportions; I’ve seen some projections of him going even as high as 7th overall. That’s ludicrous.

In fact, I’d be willing to bet 5 years from now he’s not even the best TE from this class.

KDM256

Reaction score
Overrated
Nick Bosa-- Stats doesn't translate into being a top 3 pick and pretty much living off his last name

Underrated
Benny Snell Jr -- This kid will make some noise inthe league

Super Sleeper
Terez Hall-- Haven't seen much of this kid but the games I did watch, I want this kid to be a Cowboy on Sundays

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Overrated: Juan Thornhill

Ankle Tackler. Doesn't take the best angles in run support. Play recognition is slow at times. Struggled in Senior Bowl drills/practices against good competition.

He had a great combine and now he's borderline 1st rounder? Naw.

Sydla

Reaction score
Overrated

Jaylon Ferguson - just read comments on this board about him. Bombed his pro day.

Mack Wilson - uber athlete but the knock on him is that people worry about him in the run game against NFL OL.

Underrated

Julian Love - Not the fastest or most athletic but one of the best pass defenders the last two years. Watch the playoff game against Clemson to see his value.

Chase Winovich - Never quit edge player. Reminds me of another Clay Matthews.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
In fairness, you tend to have a negative reaction to just about any ND player. ;)

Don't like the school but have liked a lot of ND players...Jaylon Smith, Max Redfield, Tyler Eifert, Kyle Rudolph, Harrison Smith, Zack Martin, Nick Martin, Ronnie Stanley, Will Fuller. I was huge on Golden Tate and was clowned here when he didn't produce right away in the NFL. I also like Julian Love, sneaky good athlete.

Jerry Tillery sucking has nothing to with his Fighting Irishness.

Sydla

Reaction score
Don't like the school but have liked a lot of ND players...Jaylon Smith, Max Redfield, Tyler Eifert, Kyle Rudolph, Harrison Smith, Zack Martin, Nick Martin, Ronnie Stanley, Will Fuller. I was huge on Golden Tate and was clowned here when he didn't produce right away in the NFL. I also like Julian Love, sneaky good athlete.

Jerry Tillery sucking has nothing to with his Fighting Irishness.

Redfield was a turd. Million dollar talent, ten cent head.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Overrated: Rashaan Gary and Drew Lock.

Anyone GM who wants to take Gary over Ed Oliver, Brian Burns, or Josh Allen needs to be slapped. Montez Sweat vs Gary is a little closer, but even Sweat is way more refined than the latter is.

Lock is yet another big white guy who can throw a football hard but can't put it on target. Every, single, year, we get a guy like this. Josh Allen last year, Paxton Lynch, Blaine Gabbert, Blake Bortles, Jake Locker, I mean the list just goes on. Teams see the tools and tell themselves, "man, if we can just teach this guy how to throw accurately, and read a defense, and handle the pass rush, he'll be a stud!" Doesn't work out. I'll give Josh Allen fair credit for at least showing signs of life in an offense that probably no rookie QB would be able to actually succeed in. But past that... I think your last Big White Early-to-Mid 1st Round Project QB to work out was Joe Flacco.

Underrated: David Montgomery and Noah Fant.

Montgomery isn't explosive, but he's an absolute tackle-shedding machine, and can catch and block fairly well. Kareem Hunt is a very similar type of runner and has very similar measurables, although he's a better receiver. Even though he was a 20th percentile NFL athlete, Hunt was good enough to win a rushing title. Now imagine if you could draft a clone of Hunt with zero off-field issues in the 3rd round.

And I don't understand how more people aren't talking about Fant. He absolutely annihilated the Combine with 98th percentile test results, and he has two years of film to back up that athleticism as well. And in a college game where TEs with pro style experience are getting harder and harder to find, Fant played in an NFL tight end factory and was coached up by the same guy who developed Gronk and Hernandez in New England.

Dude is EXACTLY the type of tight end the NFL is looking for these days, and you're going to be hard pressed to find another "move" guy in any draft with the experience and polish than Fant has. He's ready to jump in the slot and open up your offense from day 1. I've seen him mocked at end of the first or beginning of the second, and I just don't get that at all. IMO, his skill set is rare enough to justify a top 20 selection.

BoysWin

Reaction score
Overrated:
T.J. Hockenson - Good prospect but the hype on him has reached epic proportions; I’ve seen some projections of him going even as high as 7th overall. That’s ludicrous.

In fact, I’d be willing to bet 5 years from now he’s not even the best TE from this class.

As an Iowa Hawkeye fan, younare freakin nuts. TJ Hockenson is the real deal. An old Witten vs TJ Hockenson, give me TJ all day long for 10 years

cnuball21

Reaction score
As an Iowa Hawkeye fan, younare freakin nuts. TJ Hockenson is the real deal. An old Witten vs TJ Hockenson, give me TJ all day long for 10 years

I don't think the question is whether or not he's a solid prospect...me and the OP seem to agree we've read he's being mocked in the top 10 which is wild.

I think he's a tick below OJ Howard as a prospect who was taken at 19. I do think TJ is a 1st rounder, but more-so in the 20-30 range.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Over rated: Just about any QB drafted early.

Not a great class.

Murray is a great talent, but has to overcome the size.

Haskins to me is a higher floor, lower ceiling type guy but I think he can be a solid starter.