Most Re-Watched Movie - Westerns

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Still, any linguist or historian can tell you that the modern "True Grit," when viewed, was superior to any western as far as authenticity.
Some examples:
Phony: "you need to play me back."
More historically accurate: "I require recompense."

Phony: "I killed him."
More historically accurate: "I dispatched him."

Phony: "I'm afraid he's been killed."
More historically accurate: "I fear he has been sent to his maker."
Assuming you're correct in the historical accuracy department, I don't think the authenticity of the vernacular is as important to the appeal of a movie to most people as it apparently is to you.
Consider how many movies shouldn't even be spoken in English, if authenticity were a high priority. Even a film like Braveheart would be nearly impossible for most Americans to understand.

diefree666

Reaction score
Thank you. I think you were referred to in the modern "True Grit" as such: "She did not approve of my river friends."

to be blunt since True Grit was towards the end of his career I figure John Wayne had a better idea of things then you do.

diefree666

Reaction score
The Seatchers. Red River
The Searchers to me might have been the best western John Wayne did. Red River he played a similar character that was not exactly all that good.
There were shades of grey in the Searchers that made it so interesting.
Many of his fans think the Shootist was his best but I kind of think since he pretty much knew that would be his last movie he went at it in a different way then the others before - it was a great movie but frankly a little too preachy.

In the Searchers at the end when he picked her up high in the air I really did not know what he was going to do. Everything up to that point led you in one direction; and then in the proverbial blink of an eye it went totally different.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Assuming you're correct in the historical accuracy department, I don't think the authenticity of the vernacular is as important to the appeal of a movie to most people as it apparently is to you.
Consider how many movies shouldn't even be spoken in English, if authenticity were a high priority. Even a film like Braveheart would be nearly impossible for most Americans to understand.
I won't speak to the gutteral linguistic times of "Braveheart."
I was strictly referring to Westerns.
You might be the type that prefers English accents in Roman-times movies.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
to be blunt since True Grit was towards the end of his career I figure John Wayne had a better idea of things then you do.
John Wayne had great movies. But he could be a buffoon, too. My fave comedy is the "green berets" in which a 60something John Wayne and a 50something Aldo
Ray run around the jungle chasing the Viet Cong. And we get our butts kicked, except in that movie.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
The Searchers to me might have been the best western John Wayne did. Red River he played a similar character that was not exactly all that good.
There were shades of grey in the Searchers that made it so interesting.
Many of his fans think the Shootist was his best but I kind of think since he pretty much knew that would be his last movie he went at it in a different way then the others before - it was a great movie but frankly a little too preachy.

In the Searchers at the end when he picked her up high in the air I really did not know what he was going to do. Everything up to that point led you in one direction; and then in the proverbial blink of an eye it went totally different.
I think the Searchers was his best western

GMO415

Reaction score
John Wayne had great movies. But he could be a buffoon, too. My fave comedy is the "green berets" in which a 60something John Wayne and a 50something Aldo
Ray run around the jungle chasing the Viet Cong. And we get our butts kicked, except in that movie.
When I was a kid I liked Green Berets.... especially when Puff The Magic Dragon made his appearance.

cowboyec

Reaction score
High Plains Drifter

I love the idea of a old west ghost story.
and since I love the para-normal.....I think its based on a true story.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I won't speak to the gutteral linguistic times of "Braveheart."
I was strictly referring to Westerns.
You might be the type that prefers English accents in Roman-times movies.
You can't just cherry pick genres in which it's not okay to make a movie easier to understand.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I like Westerns but there is only one that will make me stop what I was currently watching..................Tombstone :thumbup:

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
You can't just cherry pick genres in which it's not okay to make a movie easier to understand.
Me thinks you are a contrarian. I hate contrarians. Go deposit your life's angst in the senior citizens complaint booth next to the foot doctor's clinic. Go!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Me thinks you are a contrarian. I hate contrarians. Go deposit your life's angst in the senior citizens complaint booth next to the foot doctor's clinic. Go!
You're the one who vehemently opined negatively to my post, which would clearly make you the contrarian. I'm merely supporting my opinion.
Now, if you really want to exchange insults, just say so, otherwise, I think it best you refrain from commenting further.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
You're the one who vehemently opined negatively to my post, which would clearly make you the contrarian. I'm merely supporting my opinion.
Now, if you really want to exchange insults, just say so, otherwise, I think it best you refrain from commenting further.
Yes. You exude bad vibes. Me mum always said I should avoid river people.