Twitter: Most rushing yards per attempt

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The absolute worse was Joseph Randle. He averaged 6.7 yards a carry backing up the leading rusher in the league that year, not to mention the new Cowboys record holder for most rushing yards in a season.

When Murray left after that season, Randle even talked Smack about Murray's efforts.

And the next season? Randle averaged 2.5 yards a carry after the 1st quarter.

Was he the one saying Murray left meat on the bone?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Dude Barry Sanders had seasons in Detroit where they had two thousand yard receivers and a third who was damn close. And your memory is fogged over on them leading the league in rushing every year.. Campbell led the league three times and Barry and Emmitt both led it four times. And you will never get any credibility claiming guys were playing 11 against 1. That's just softhead talk. Football is a team game.. Success in predicated on a good team as is failure.. Whining about "so and so coulda woulda shoulda" is just childish.
It's been stated in public record that Barry Sanders ran behind the Sorriest olines in football. That's why he does have the record for the most yards for a loss at 1114. He played in a never changing predictable single back formation too.

Earl maybe had 1 good oline in his career. But He had Dan Pastorini as a QB. Lmao

Either way on 3rd/4th and 1 or 2 yards all 11 defensive players keyed in on Barry Sanders which is prolly when most of those Losses occured.

We saw Demarco Murray do the same thing in Dallas. He was a product of a good oline

Emmit was a great RB but you put him on the Detroit Lions and he'd have just as many if not more lost yards and wouldn't even be in the conversation as one of the best RBS imo
Dude Barry Sanders had seasons in Detroit where they had two thousand yard receivers and a third who was damn close. And your memory is fogged over on them leading the league in rushing every year.. Campbell led the league three times and Barry and Emmitt both led it four times. And you will never get any credibility claiming guys were playing 11 against 1. That's just softhead talk. Football is a team game.. Success in predicated on a good team as is failure.. Whining about "so and so coulda woulda shoulda" is just childish.

Sanders and Campbell ran behind notoriously poor olines. Earl maybe had 1 good oline in his entire career

Sanders did set the record with 1116 lost yards rushing. But he played in a predictable 1 back scheme on mostly sorry teams. With poor olines.

Emmit is a more accomplished RB on paper but to say that Earl or Barry couldn't have passed his accomplishments had they played for the 90's Cowboys is Completely Absurd imo. I don't think it's even close by a Longshot.

Earl was prolly the most powerful RB of all time. And Barry was the fastest most elusive RB of all time.

Had they had a top tier oline and teams like Emmitt I think either would have been #1 for best RB of all time.

Emmitt was a product of a good oline, scheme, and team w probowlers Whereas Sanders and Campbell were pretty much the ones who carried their team.

Last edited:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I like the combination of Pollard and Zeke sharing the rock carrying. They've both been hampered by their own injures lately but they are getting better.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I disagree.. Zeke has only gotten to 20 carries once all season. Carrying it 25 times does not seem to be part of the grand plan and frankly I have not even seen anyone advocating for it. It's clear to me that the reason Zeke has not been sat down is that our line is compromised and we need him to keep our QB from getting broken in half. It has nothing to do with carrying it 25 times.
I do believe in alot of your points however. I do believe Pollard is a contributory back and not a Bellcow like Zeke was in his prime

I just don't think Zeke is at this stage in his career either. He's just doesn't have the burst that he used too. Zeke has a little hesitation that he didn't have in his prime

jblaze2004

Reaction score
And the colts selected Taylor in the 2nd round. Not burn a top 5 pick on a running back smh.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Some don't understand that. Maybe they are not old enough to remember Troy Hambrick, who averaged 5.1 per carry Emmitt's last year here, was given the lead role and averaged 3.5.

Maybe Pollard would fare better, but there are a lot of things that come with being the lead back that make it tougher. Not being as fresh, being on the field in short-yardage situations, wear and tear (injury). The role he plays here might be the best fit for him. Maybe it's not, but it's really hard to say without seeing him being that lead back.

I would counter that with saying Pollard doesn’t need to be a traditional “lead back.” The days of a 300+ carry bell cow back is effectively over with exception to a few RBs.

Pollard should be utilized in similar fashion to McCaffrey or Kumara. The latter of whom has never had more than 200 carries in a season. Both are used heavily in the passing game.

Be it Zeke or some other young RB, we should have a rotation of RBs spelling each other especially now with the longer season.

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
The absolute worse was Joseph Randle. He averaged 6.7 yards a carry backing up the leading rusher in the league that year, not to mention the new Cowboys record holder for most rushing yards in a season.

When Murray left after that season, Randle even talked Smack about Murray's efforts.

And the next season? Randle averaged 2.5 yards a carry after the 1st quarter.
I hear Randle averaged 9.2 yards in a dillard parking lot :)

Hadenough

Reaction score
Defenses are doing everything to stop him and still can’t seem to do it.
That was pretty impressive what he did to Buffalo in their house. And he he did it to NE too. I thought if anybody could scheme up a way to stop him it was Belichick. That Colts defense is no slouch either.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Big ups to Pollard he is indeed an EXPLOSIVE runner, but I don't see him as an "every down" RB.; I think his current role suits him PERFECTLY. It allows him to stay fresh with a shared workload..

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Was he the one saying Murray left meat on the bone?

the league changing the rules to stop murray from spearing people did leave meat on the bone. The oline leveling people and demarco spearing them was one of my favorite running attacks

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Here are some posts talking about amount of carries…

and a reply to that post commenting on # of rushes Pollard can handle.

Another comment about # of carries.

Thanks.. I had not noticed those.. But those are the exceptions rather than the rule. At least from my point of view.. It's not about just ramming the ball up the middle 25 times.. Neither Zeke nor Pollard will survive that. What we need is diversified rushing attack. Which means, inside, outside, mis-directions, sweeps, tosses, draws.. All of it.. We don't have the 90's line to just line up and run the same 3 plays and be successful because we could maul a defense and we had a back who was all world at find the slightest hint of an opening. We're not ever going to have a consistent running game if we don't consistently call running plays.. As an old running back it has always offended me when people say "well if the run isn't working you have to throw it.. " Well then why the hell is it that when the pass isn't working the solution is to throw it more? I advocate for the run because it's my favorite style of football to watch. It also beats down the opposing defense and allows our offense to control the clock and dictate the tempo of the game while also allowing our defense to stay fresh.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I don't think we have a Bell Cow Te Either. Lmao.

We can run just as effectively out of a spread offense or some 2 RB formations also but this set it and forget it coaching staff is not very relevant when it comes to changing the formations.

Had Witten been Jarwin, Schultz, Swaim, or Escobar in his prime we'd never have stuck with this IGNORANT exclusive 11 and 12 personell scheme for 20 years.

There is no ELEMENT OF SURPRIZE WHATSOEVER

ESPECIALLY WITHOUT A QB WHO CAN RUN

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Thanks.. I had not noticed those.. But those are the exceptions rather than the rule. At least from my point of view.. It's not about just ramming the ball up the middle 25 times.. Neither Zeke nor Pollard will survive that. What we need is diversified rushing attack. Which means, inside, outside, mis-directions, sweeps, tosses, draws.. All of it.. We don't have the 90's line to just line up and run the same 3 plays and be successful because we could maul a defense and we had a back who was all world at find the slightest hint of an opening. We're not ever going to have a consistent running game if we don't consistently call running plays.. As an old running back it has always offended me when people say "well if the run isn't working you have to throw it.. " Well then why the hell is it that when the pass isn't working the solution is to throw it more? I advocate for the run because it's my favorite style of football to watch. It also beats down the opposing defense and allows our offense to control the clock and dictate the tempo of the game while also allowing our defense to stay fresh.
Zeke or Pollard wouldn’t survive 25 carries behind this line, no. Have to remember how good that Colts Oline is. Last season they were undeniably the best line in football. And Tennessee’s line was initially built to produce a smash mouth rushing attack.