Most Underhyped/Underrated Players in the NFL

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Don't kill me.

It is the offseason. I am bored.

And there is an overrated thread. :)

1. Takeo Spikes, Buff. - Only getting credit now, but has been underrated for years. Playing in Cincy did not help.
2. Chris Chambers, Mia. - Give him a better QB he is a star.
3. Jason Fabini, Jets- Never have to worry about him.
4. Brian Waters, KC - Too bad he once was a Cowboy.
5. Andre Johnson, Hou - The next Mike Irvin
6. Mike Brown, Chi. - All he does is make plays. Uncanny how he is always in the right place literally all the time.
7. Marvel Smith, Pitt. - Team is too blue collar. If he were elsewhere he would be famous.
8. Chris Hope, Pitt. - I would kill for him on this team.
9. John Henderson, Jax - See above.
10. Mike Peterson, Jax - Another case of too good, too underpublicized.
11. Barry Sims, Oak - Solid but overlooked.
12. Danny Clark, Oak. - Used to be a backup, now is a quality starter.
13. Steve Hutchinson, Sea. - Should be a pro bowler every year.
14. Donnie Edwards, SD - has been one of the best LBers in football over the last decade.
15. Mike Minter, Car - one of the top five safeties in the whole league
16. LaCharles Bentley, NO - Meanest center in the game
17. Adrian Wilson, Ariz - had a better year than Roy Williams last year
18. Edwin Mulitalo, Balt - One of the best run blockers in the AFC
19. Rod Coleman, Atl - made the Falcon D what it was
20. Dan Koppen, NE - you could never tell he is as young as he is.

Players who are young that you will hear about: Gibril Wilson, NYG, Nathan Vashar, Chi., Carson Palmer, Cin., Madieu Williams, S, Cin., Darnell Dockett, Ariz.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nice list.

AJ is the player I most wanted to see either the Cowboys OR Jets draft two years ago.

I doubt after this next season he is under-rated. Last season had "b-r-e-a-k-o-u-t" spelled all over it.

Minter I agree on too, when he's not trying to tackle folks by the seat of their pants.

Ditto on D. Edwards - he never seems to make make highlight reels, but he wraps up his man in a neat little package, and takes him down.

Koppen might be under-rated league wide, but in NE they sure know what they've got in him.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Good list.

Andre Johnson is starting to get some notice. He is going to be a force.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss said:
Good list.

Andre Johnson is starting to get some notice. He is going to be a force.
He went to the pro bowl last year, so I think he's been noticed.

Looking at the list, are you basing on the media hype machine. Some of those guys have been to the pro bowl and if they haven't, I believe they've gotten some good media attention. They may not have sponsor deals or anything, but I do think they've been recognized to some degree by the sports media.

Alexander

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
They may not have sponsor deals or anything, but I do think they've been recognized to some degree by the sports media.

Compare this list to the overrated lists we have done in the other thread.

The majority of average fans on the street have not heard about most of them because they don't get all drooled over in a game when they play or they play on smaller market teams.

NFL people and fans who pay attention know them. If you wait for John Madden to say "He is the best XYZ in football" then most of these players are news to you.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
6 guys that would go very high on this list, IMO, are Trent Green, ( 4 QB ratings of above 90 in the last 5 seasons), Priest Holmes, (All Purpose Yards - 2169 in 01, 2287 in 02, 2110 in 03, 1079 in 04 with less then 8 games. All they ever do is try to replace him.) Marvin Harrison (on a pace to break all of Jerry Rice's records and has been for 10 years yet nobody ever talks about him when discussing the best WRs in the game), Keith Brookings (he's the glue to a very, very much improved Atlanta defense but never gets recognized as one of the best LBs in the NFL), Pat Kerney (like Brookings, suffers from the fact that they were totally mis-used in a 34 early in there careers. In the last 4 seasons, he has registerd 12, 10.5, 6.5 and 13 sack totals yet you never hear anybody talk about how good a football player this guy is. This guy also plays tough run defense), Walter Jones (The only thing this guy has done for 8 years has been a top 3 or 4 LT in the NFL and nobody gives him credit. Consistently good for a long period of time).

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alexander said:
Compare this list to the overrated lists we have done in the other thread.

The majority of average fans on the street have not heard about most of them because they don't get all drooled over in a game when they play or they play on smaller market teams.

NFL people and fans who pay attention know them. If you wait for John Madden to say "He is the best XYZ in football" then most of these players are news to you.
You're right that most average fans may not recognize the names on your list. But when I first looked at it, I'd noticed that I've heard of most of those guys and how well they play and not just because they've been propped up by the "hype machine."

So your point is well taken, however I think guys like Takeo Spikes, John Henderson and Andre Johnson aren't exactly underhyped/underrated. Johnson doesn't seek pub and the other two, I see or hear mentioned in some form or fashion all the time.

Alexander

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
6 guys that would go very high on this list, IMO, are Trent Green, ( 4 QB ratings of above 90 in the last 5 seasons)

Perhaps.

Priest Holmes, (All Purpose Yards - 2169 in 01, 2287 in 02, 2110 in 03, 1079 in 04 with less then 8 games. All they ever do is try to replace him.) Marvin Harrison (on a pace to break all of Jerry Rice's records and has been for 10 years yet nobody ever talks about him when discussing the best WRs in the game),

These two are in their prime and are consider among the best. I don't know how you can see them as underrated unless you want to push them into overrated status.

Keith Brookings (he's the glue to a very, very much improved Atlanta defense but never gets recognized as one of the best LBs in the NFL),

I would actually put Brookings into the overrated category. Not as bad as Urlacher, but he's next.

Walter Jones (The only thing this guy has done for 8 years has been a top 3 or 4 LT in the NFL and nobody gives him credit. Consistently good for a long period of time).

Good one. But he is getting paid like it now.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Perhaps.

These two are in their prime and are consider among the best. I don't know how you can see them as underrated unless you want to push them into overrated status.

I would actually put Brookings into the overrated category. Not as bad as Urlacher, but he's next.

Good one. But he is getting paid like it now.

Take a poll, see how many fans list Green as a top 5 QB in this league, but he is. Same deal with Holmes. He's the most productive back in the league over the last few years and still, he's not considered to be the best. All you hear about is LT, Ricky Williams (when he was still playing), Martin and the like. All are very good and deserve recognition but if you look at performance, Holmes is the best and he's never viewed as such.

I'm actually surprised that you view Brookings in this light. I would be interested to know why. IMO, he never gets credit for what he does in Atlanta.

Alexander

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Take a poll, see how many fans list Green as a top 5 QB in this league, but he is. Same deal with Holmes. He's the most productive back in the league over the last few years and still, he's not considered to be the best. All you hear about is LT, Ricky Williams (when he was still playing), Martin and the like. All are very good and deserve recognition but if you look at performance, Holmes is the best and he's never viewed as such.

I'm actually surprised that you view Brookings in this light. I would be interested to know why. IMO, he never gets credit for what he does in Atlanta.

I just don't see Brookings as a top shelf LBer. He was pretty exposed in their 3-4 in 2003, and got better after the Falcons got Coleman in the middle. Now some think he is elite all of the sudden. I also have a boss who is a Falcons fan and this is his favorite player.

He makes alot of tackles. But I have yet to see him take over a game.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Alexander said:
I just don't see Brookings as a top shelf LBer. He was pretty exposed in their 3-4 in 2003, and got better after the Falcons got Coleman in the middle. Now some think he is elite all of the sudden. I also have a boss who is a Falcons fan and this is his favorite player.

He makes alot of tackles. But I have yet to see him take over a game.

I really like Brookings. He actually reminds me a lot of Dat, in that, he keeps the trains moving.

Fair enough. I like the guy but hey, everybody sees things different.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Don't kill me.

It is the offseason. I am bored.

And there is an overrated thread. :)

1. Takeo Spikes, Buff. - Only getting credit now, but has been underrated for years. Playing in Cincy did not help.
2. Chris Chambers, Mia. - Give him a better QB he is a star.
3. Jason Fabini, Jets- Never have to worry about him.
4. Brian Waters, KC - Too bad he once was a Cowboy.
5. Andre Johnson, Hou - The next Mike Irvin
6. Mike Brown, Chi. - All he does is make plays. Uncanny how he is always in the right place literally all the time.
7. Marvel Smith, Pitt. - Team is too blue collar. If he were elsewhere he would be famous.
8. Chris Hope, Pitt. - I would kill for him on this team.
9. John Henderson, Jax - See above.
10. Mike Peterson, Jax - Another case of too good, too underpublicized.
11. Barry Sims, Oak - Solid but overlooked.
12. Danny Clark, Oak. - Used to be a backup, now is a quality starter.
13. Steve Hutchinson, Sea. - Should be a pro bowler every year.
14. Donnie Edwards, SD - has been one of the best LBers in football over the last decade.
15. Mike Minter, Car - one of the top five safeties in the whole league
16. LaCharles Bentley, NO - Meanest center in the game
17. Adrian Wilson, Ariz - had a better year than Roy Williams last year
18. Edwin Mulitalo, Balt - One of the best run blockers in the AFC
19. Rod Coleman, Atl - made the Falcon D what it was
20. Dan Koppen, NE - you could never tell he is as young as he is.

Players who are young that you will hear about: Gibril Wilson, NYG, Nathan Vashar, Chi., Carson Palmer, Cin., Madieu Williams, S, Cin., Darnell Dockett, Ariz.
Is it even conceiveable that a Cowboy could be one of these lists? ;)

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Come on, CL, you know we exist as a parallel universe to extremeskins.

Cowboys players only make the OVER rated list.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Ellis and Dat could both make this list. Probably Cambell too.

Alexander

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

I think we could throw a few of those in there after this year once Ware, Spears and Burnett get their feet wet.

But who exactly do we have that is not appreciated? Roy Williams certainly is. La'Roi Glover certainly is. Julius is getting alot of praise considering he is so inexperienced.

Who would you considered underrated?

We either have very good players or very average. We don't have many that are overlooked one way or the other.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
These lists keep getting harder.

1. Julius Jones. I think it is possible he is the NFL MVP yet doesnt crack many top 10 RB lists.
2. Mike Brown. Guy just makes plays.
3. Will Demps. Overshadowed in BALT but his play allows Reed to sell out to make plays.
4. Drew Bennett. Stud WR no one knows about except teams he burned for multiple TDs.
5. Tiki Barber. Ughh but the guy flat makes plays.
6. Brian Waters. Ex-UNT and Cowboy is superb technician on a great OL.
7. Charles Tillman. Solid young cover guy. If he switched reps with Champ Bailey the world would be about right.
8. Kurt Warner. He's no longer a stud but the guy doesn't stink by any means.
9. Greg Ellis. Performs at a Pro Bowl level for first 75% of the snaps of the season than has been wearing down.
10. Darwin Walker. So vastly superior to Simon it isn't even funny.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY said:
I think Ellis and Dat could both make this list. Probably Cambell too.
Took the words right out of my fingers. :)

Those three are highly appreciated by Cowboy fans, but completely underappreciated by the "hype machine."

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Took the words right out of my fingers. :)

Those three are highly appreciated by Cowboy fans, but completely underappreciated by the "hype machine."
I seriously considered adding Dat but figured I was at the homer limit:) lol.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Tory Holt, Eric Moulds and Hines Ward don't get NEAR the hype that Moss and TO get, but are nearly as lethal to defense.