?

American Music Icon

Elvis
Frank Sinatra
Bob Dylan
?

cowboyec

Reaction score
One of my prized possesions cost me 3 bucks at a yardsale, Elvis's Sun Recordings from his first session.
thats awesome.
i went to an estate sale about 3 months ago.
my wife found a copy of the 1 Elvis album i didn't have on vinyl...Elvis' Christmas Album.
released in '57.
red gatefold cover that opened into a book of photos that promoted jailhouse rock.
after he went into the army...they re-released it and changed the cover with a picture of Elvis and snow covered mountains in the background.
then in the 70s...rca's budget lable camden did a 3rd incarnation of that album...trimming the gospel songs and added mama liked the roses.
they changed the cover again...with an immage from speedway but a mountain type background.
its that incarnation that helped this lp become one of the biggest selling christmas albums of all-time.
now i got'm all.

Big_D

Reaction score
Great thread

Peyton Manning
Lance Alworth
Bill Russell
Bob Lilly
Mike Tyson
Emmitt Smith
Hulk Hogan
Black Sabbath
Merle Haggard
BB King
Miles Davis
Elmer Kelton
Robert Heinlein
Stephen King
Jack Nicholson
The Beach Boys
Chuck Berry

DFWJC

Reaction score
Ill check this out after the games.

A lot to think about.

Silver lining is 2 of you #1s are Tarheels (Jordan, Taylor)
:dance:

RaZon

Reaction score
Great thread

Peyton Manning
Lance Alworth
Bill Russell
Bob Lilly
Mike Tyson
Emmitt Smith
Hulk Hogan
Black Sabbath
Merle Haggard
BB King
Miles Davis
Elmer Kelton
Robert Heinlein
Stephen King
Jack Nicholson
The Beach Boys
Chuck Berry

I like it, Bravo!

DFWJC

Reaction score
**I'll play homer on a couple of football picks though I'm not sure that's the correct answer.
:oops:

Roger Staubach**
Larry Fitzgerald
Oscar Robertson
Deacon Jones
Joe Louis
Emmitt Smith**
Steve Austin
The Who
George Strait
BB King
Duke Ellington
Elmer Kelton
George Orwell
Stephen King
Gary Oldman
Aerosmith
Michael Jackson

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Trying to fit entire sports and genres into just the "4 greatest" makes me wonder if we should even be doing it with Presidents. It's tough.

NBA for example. Jordan, Bill Russell, Chamberlain - but I still want to put in Magic, Bird, Kareem and Lebron.
MLB. Babe Ruth. And then it's a ton of players. Just Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle alone could be the next 3 but then you leave out Ted Williams, DiMaggio, and all the modern-day sluggers. And we haven't even gotten to pitchers yet.

Stand-Up Comedians Mount Rushmore - Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Dave Chapelle
U.S. Generals to President Mount Rushmore - Washington, Andrew Jackson, Grant, Eisenhower
Boxing Heavyweight Mount Rushmore - Jack Johnson, Muhammed Ali, Mike Tyson, Joe Louis

RaZon

Reaction score
**I'll play homer on a couple of football picks though I'm not sure that's the correct answer.
:oops:

Roger Staubach**
Larry Fitzgerald
Oscar Robertson
Deacon Jones
Joe Louis
Emmitt Smith**
Steve Austin
The Who
George Strait
BB King
Duke Ellington
Elmer Kelton
George Orwell
Stephen King
Gary Oldman
Aerosmith
Michael Jackson

Deacon Jones, ha!!!

Good stuff!

RaZon

Reaction score
Trying to fit entire sports and genres into just the "4 greatest" makes me wonder if we should even be doing it with Presidents. It's tough.

NBA for example. Jordan, Bill Russell, Chamberlain - but I still want to put in Magic, Bird, Kareem and Lebron.
MLB. Babe Ruth. And then it's a ton of players. Just Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Mickey Mantle alone could be the next 3 but then you leave out Ted Williams, DiMaggio, and all the modern-day sluggers. And we haven't even gotten to pitchers yet.

Stand-Up Comedians Mount Rushmore - Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Dave Chapelle
U.S. Generals to President Mount Rushmore - Washington, Andrew Jackson, Grant, Eisenhower
Boxing Heavyweight Mount Rushmore - Jack Johnson, Muhammed Ali, Mike Tyson, Joe Louis

No Rocky Marciano?

Yes just four means the very ultimate the elite of the elite.

Forces us to give it some serious thought.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
No Rocky Marciano?

Yes just four means the very ultimate the elite of the elite.

Forces us to give it some serious thought.

I knew someone would complain about Rocky Marciano not being there. I feel like I’m in the barbershop in Coming to America. :p Yes, I still take the other four. People like to say Tyson shouldn’t be there because the heavyweight division had already started going down in the 80s, but I don’t think anyone should take away from how dominant he was. There has never been a modern heavyweight fighter who took out his opponents that fast for so many fights. I mean, you can watch 3/4 of the man’s career on a 60 minute YouTube video. That’s how dominant he was. Even Muhammad Ali said in his prime, Tyson would win. Ali is a proud man, he just doesn’t say that stuff

RaZon

Reaction score
I knew someone would complain about Rocky Marciano not being there. I feel like I’m in the barbershop in Coming to America. :p Yes, I still take the other four. People like to say Tyson shouldn’t be there because the heavyweight division had already started going down in the 80s, but I don’t think anyone should take away from how dominant he was. There has never been a modern heavyweight fighter who took out his opponents that fast for so many fights. I mean, you can watch 3/4 of the man’s career on a 60 minute YouTube video. That’s how dominant he was. Even Muhammad Ali said in his prime, Tyson would win. Ali is a proud man, he just doesn’t say that stuff

It's not Tyson, he belongs it's Johnson over the 49-0 Marciano. Who was Johnson facing in his day?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It's hard to compare Johnson opponents because he fought so long ago. Which IMO makes it even more impressive. The older the game, the less protection.

Actually, Tyson tells some great stories about Johnson. People don't realize how much history Tyson knows about the game. He respects the history.

I pick Johnson for social reasons as much as I do his talent. The first black star athlete who truly dealt with all the crap and injustice.

Loved how he would date white women in the 1910's, drive them around town, and just didn't care. He was a maverick the way he approached society and I still don't think gets his proper due.