Move UP not DOWN

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
ok all I read about is how the Cowboys should move down in the draft and pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder.. I disagree.. now, maybe most years that might be a good idea.. but not this year.. this year we are close.. we are a couple players away from having a legitimate chance to make a run.. why drop down and get a couple of second tier guys when you could move up and get a playmaker, a game changer? to me, a Michael Huff or an AJ Hawk would be better than a Ko Simpson and some 3rd or 4th rounder.. dont kid yourselves, the Cowboys are close.. and we have PLENTY of money in the cap to not only get another big player (Woodson, Law, Neal, Arrington) AND still lock up guys like Roy and Witten.. be bold, thats what I say.. get one of the few big time free agents still left to fill a hole.. then make a move to move UP in the draft.. come on, we already have midlevel guys as good depth as most every position.. its not like that 3rd rounder is gonna help us get to the Super Bowl this year.. but Michael Huff might.. AJ Hawk might..

Haley94

Reaction score
The only guy I would consider moving up for is HALOTI NGATA. That's if he drops out of the top 10 because he would never get past Philly. NT is my main area of concern. If Fergy goes down we are screwed. HALOTI NGATA would solidify our young 3-4 for years.

sago1

Reaction score
Agree. If for example the Colts wanted to trade up with us to get a top RB who had fallen to us, they have same draft value chart and know to offer at least their 2nd round pick--but that is only minimum we should expect. I'd also expect at least their 4th round pick & then we'd only be 40 points ahead of the game. Of course if we made this trade we'd be moving down 12 spots and lose some players along the way of possible interest. At 30th pick, Lawson might still be there but Carpenter certainly should. There a lot of good players at the bottom of round 1 and top 10 picks in 2nd round. But in any case 3 picks in first 2 rounds with our 3rd round pick at #16 would certainly land us 4 potential starters. The stars would have to align just right for us to be a target of trade for some teams further down in the draft order. But you never know; something could happen to throw the whole draft off the track.

BLT

Reaction score
I'm hoping we can some how pull off the same trade that we made with Buffalo 2 drafts ago. If we can trade our 1st rounder this year for a 2nd rounder this year and a 1st rounder next year that would be perfect. We pick up a LB and a FS in the 2nd rounder this year and then next year with 2 1st rounders we take of QB of the future and WR.

ghst187

Reaction score
Haley94 said:
The only guy I would consider moving up for is HALOTI NGATA. That's if he drops out of the top 10 because he would never get past Philly. NT is my main area of concern. If Fergy goes down we are screwed. HALOTI NGATA would solidify our young 3-4 for years.

or until a Denver OL cut blocks him and Ngata blows out his knee AGAIN.

I think the price you pay to move up in the draft usually isn't worth the negligible difference in talent. Ferguson and Hawk I might consider but we signed Fabini to start at RT so nix moving up for Ferguson. Hawk, is he so much better than Carpenter, Lawson, or Wimbley that he's worth 2-3 draft picks, which is probably what it would take. As for Huff, you can get a guy that is just as good and almost the exact same player in the second round, name is Jason Allen. (I also doubt that BP is going to rely on a rookie FS)
This draft is DEEP, you want MORE picks not less so trading down is a good way to pick up an extra starter. FS and LB are probably the most stacked positions in this draft and those are two positions we'll probably draft so won't be too hard to get a good starter in round 2 or 3.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
In recent years, I've felt that moving up makes more sense than moving down because the way the game is played, one impact player can make a huge difference.

Owens will make the Cowboy offense MUCH better because he's going to attract a lot of attention.

Of course, there's gotta be a high caliber player available and the cost of moving up can't be exhorbitant, ala the Ricky Willliams trade...but I think moving up in the draft to get a guy you believe in can be more effective than moving down and collecting mid rounders...

VACowboy

Reaction score
The problem I have with trading up high enough to get Hawk, Huff or Ngata is that it'd cost next year's 1, plus.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
VACowboy said:
The problem I have with trading up high enough to get Hawk, Huff or Ngata is that it'd cost next year's 1, plus.

yeah and I dont think its worth it for any player in this draft.

Id move up for something similar to what the Bills did for Lossman, they only really gave up a 3rd and a 6th right? Or somthing similar.

I could handle no 1st round pick next season for 2 this year. This draft is deep enough to justify that imo.

Slammin Bran 23

Reaction score
I like Chad Jackson or Simion Moss. Trade Glenn for O-Line and draft a guy like Jackson and that would be smart IMO.

conner01

Reaction score
no player inthis draft would be a big enough impact to be worth 2 #1's plus, and thats what it would take to get up there where a guy like hawk will go.we are not one player away. we need a fs, atleast one lb, some youth at ot and g, and some youth a wr would';nt be bad.

cleverusername

Reaction score
BLT said:
I'm hoping we can some how pull off the same trade that we made with Buffalo 2 drafts ago. If we can trade our 1st rounder this year for a 2nd rounder this year and a 1st rounder next year that would be perfect. We pick up a LB and a FS in the 2nd rounder this year and then next year with 2 1st rounders we take of QB of the future and WR.

Sound good to me. Maybe, Brady Quinn and Ted Ginn in 07. That would be nice.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY said:
ok all I read about is how the Cowboys should move down in the draft and pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder.. I disagree.. now, maybe most years that might be a good idea.. but not this year.. this year we are close.. we are a couple players away from having a legitimate chance to make a run.. why drop down and get a couple of second tier guys when you could move up and get a playmaker, a game changer? to me, a Michael Huff or an AJ Hawk would be better than a Ko Simpson and some 3rd or 4th rounder.. dont kid yourselves, the Cowboys are close.. and we have PLENTY of money in the cap to not only get another big player (Woodson, Law, Neal, Arrington) AND still lock up guys like Roy and Witten.. be bold, thats what I say.. get one of the few big time free agents still left to fill a hole.. then make a move to move UP in the draft.. come on, we already have midlevel guys as good depth as most every position.. its not like that 3rd rounder is gonna help us get to the Super Bowl this year.. but Michael Huff might.. AJ Hawk might..

I posted this last weekend and everybody thought it was a bad idea.

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52057

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
EMMITTnROY said:
This is going to be the hot issue for the next 5 weeks and both sides have a point. Personally I don't see any way Arrington comes here, Neal already signed with NE, Law and Woodson are available but Woodson is always hurt and both want big bucks.

The problem I have with trading up is you get screwed twice if the player you get doesn't work out. Jimmy Johnson made out like a bandit because he traded down and gather more picks than anybody. Sometimes he wasn't the greatest drafter, but he had more picks and a better chance to find a player. If every first round pick was a sure thing it would be different.

By trading down we can have four day one picks. Since we don't have a fourth round pick this year that sounds pretty good to me. Additionally, all the so called experts say the value of this draft is in the second and third rounds.

The price to move up into the top ten to twelve (where the difference makers are) is just to high for my taste. If we trade down, we can get the same player later that we would have drafted at eighteen and pick up a extra draft pick. If we get a deal to move down eight to ten perhaps twelve or thirteen spots I say take it.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
If at all possible Trade Up and get Hawk!

Of course I'm Biased.:D

baj1dallas

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
This is going to be the hot issue for the next 5 weeks and both sides have a point. Personally I don't see any way Arrington comes here, Neal already signed with NE, Law and Woodson are available but Woodson is always hurt and both want big bucks.

The problem I have with trading up is you get screwed twice if the player you get doesn't work out. Jimmy Johnson made out like a bandit because he traded down and gather more picks than anybody. Sometimes he wasn't the greatest drafter, but he had more picks and a better chance to find a player. If every first round pick was a sure thing it would be different.

By trading down we can have four day one picks. Since we don't have a fourth round pick this year that sounds pretty good to me. Additionally, all the so called experts say the value of this draft is in the second and third rounds.

The price to move up into the top ten to twelve (where the difference makers are) is just to high for my taste. If we trade down, we can get the same player later that we would have drafted at eighteen and pick up a extra draft pick. If we get a deal to move down eight to ten perhaps twelve or thirteen spots I say take it.

Your way isn't glamorous for a lot of people but it's much more likely. IMO the only way you trade up is if somebody (Huff) slips but it's not real likely that Baltimore or Philthy will trade back.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
I've been following the draft closely for 25 years and I 've come to the conclusion that there's no rule or rules of thumb.

Such as: Trading down is better than trading up, always draft the BPA, no OL, DB or LB in the first round. Although I happen to agree with these, you have to make exceptions.

In the end it comes down to evaluating a few hundred players better than everyone else in the league. When I say evaluate, I mean everything. How thier talent translates to the pro game, how they will handle themselves off the field, how hard are they gonna work to get better.

If you do that, everything else will take care of itself.

As far as working the draft. I think it pays to be taking that call for a trade up or down, instead of making it. That's when you get the best value.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
In my opinion you should only trade up to get your franchise QB. An exception can be made to trade up 2-3 spots to pick up a player of real need. Other than that trading down is always a good thing. The draft is a crapshoot. More picks means more chances at hitting jackpot.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Jimmy Johnson made out like a bandit because he traded down and gather more picks than anybody. Sometimes he wasn't the greatest drafter, but he had more picks and a better chance to find a player. If every first round pick was a sure thing it would be different.

You need to go back and do some research.

Jimmy rarely traded down.He used the nearly 100 picks he had in five years to trade up.

He ended up using 69 out of the pick available.

But the majority of his moves were headed up, not down.

Grab a copy of the Dallas Cowboy Media Guide. It clearly opens your eyes to how Jimmy used the draft and Walker trade to win a Super Bowl.

The real playmaking talent resides at the top of the draft. That is why players are first rated, then selected at that spot.

The bust term comes in when a player fails tolive up to his potential.

But when was the last time you heard a player called a bust in the fourth round? They ususally have to not make the squad the first year.

Surely there are exceptions. Montana, Walker, Staubach.

But selection for selection, playermakers come from the top half of round one more than any other spot.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
TwoDeep3 said:
The real playmaking talent resides at the top of the draft. That is why players are first rated, then selected at that spot.

Surely there are exceptions. Montana, Walker, Staubach.

But selection for selection, playermakers come from the top half of round one more than any other spot.

my point exactly.. like i said, i expected most people to disagree with me on my original point because I know that most people are of the mindset to trade down.. but im telling you people, the Cowboys ARE just a couple players away from making a run.. my point is, why play conservative and drop down and get a couple of solid players when you could trade up just a few spots and get a game changer? I really believe if we sign one an Arrington, Woodson, or Law and draft a Hawk or Huff, we will be in serious contention for the Super Bowl..

people are talking about possibly getting 3 or 4 starters with our first few picks.. not gonna happen! most of the starting positions are locked up.. the only places we could even possibly get a new starter would be FS and OLB.. thats it.. we have starters firmly locked up at every position.. so why not make a move in free agency to get a sure fire starter and then make a move UP to get the other one in the draft? besides those two positions, we are picking for depth.. and honestly, our depth is pretty good at every position.. i mean, you only have 53 roster spots.. and only 45 make the trip.. and looking at the roster, about 40 of those spots are already "locked up".. so we are only looking for a few more guys.. I say add two big playmakers and game changers instead of three or four solid guys.. we have plenty of "solid" guys on the bench..