Move UP not DOWN

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I too see this team as close.

We have the money to make a couple of more signings, plus the draft and still re-up Witten and Davis.

We still have around 12 million dollars.

I'd like to see a safety brought in via FA.

Then I'd like another OL. But that might be a stretch.

But surely there is a DT looming somewhere that can be had to back-up in case of injury. Right now I expect Parcells and Co. are thinking Spears is the safety net here, if push comes to shove.

I would then use all our resources in the draft to move up and target one guy. A playmaker who can be a difference maker.

Maybe a linebacker.

But this may very well be the year. With the age on this team, we might have a very small window for success.

To illiterate Doyle Brunson...The game is about backbone, not wish bone.

Lombardi or bust!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I just dont see much worth moving up for...our biggest remaining holes are OLB and FS...everyone loves Hawk and he is a good player, but I am convinced he is a much better fit for a traditional 4-3 than the 3-4...no FS is worth a pick even where we are drafting at (18) and definitely isnt worth trading up for

that leaves OL, and there's no way we're moving up high enough for Ferguson...I dont even see anyone worth moving up a couple spots for either...I'd sit at 18, hope some team falls in love with a particularly player or position and makes us a nice offer to move down...this would be a nice draft to end up with a pick in the mid to late 20's plus an additional 2nd rd pick, we could still get two starters along with a good developmental or depth player, and then still have a pick in rd 3

David

Rockytop6

Reaction score
Haley94 said:
The only guy I would consider moving up for is HALOTI NGATA. That's if he drops out of the top 10 because he would never get past Philly. NT is my main area of concern. If Fergy goes down we are screwed. HALOTI NGATA would solidify our young 3-4 for years.

I would love to get Ngata but I would also be willing to trade up to get Hawk.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It would take too much to get Hawk. Besides, I think Carpenter may prove to be more versatile.

I see four spots where we could trade:

1. We sit above San Diego and Kansas City, who both need a wide receiver. If Chad Jackson or Santanio Holmes is available, I can see the Chiefs trying to leap frog the Chargers to take the best wide out available.
Same for the Broncos.

2. The Pats could want one of the remaining running backs. Even though the Chargers and Chiefs are ahead of the Pats in the draft order and don't need running backs, nothing prevents another running back starved team from jumping to the Chiefs or Chargers position.

3. Carolina may want to leap frog New England if there's a run on running backs and the Panthers don't want to miss out. Foster may not return and if he does, he's injury prone. Stephen Davis is out the door and Shelton disappointed. If Lendale White or Williams or Maroney is still on the board, look for a trade up.

4. Of course, the Colts are in dire straits to replace Edgerrin James. No. 30 might be too low, but not if the Colts throw in a third and a No. 1 in 2007. :D

cleverusername

Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
4. Of course, the Colts are in dire straits to replace Edgerrin James. No. 30 might be too low, but not if the Colts throw in a third and a No. 1 in 2007. :D

Wouldn't this be nice. we could still get a OLB this year, and with the first next year grab our franchise quarterback or reciever or even both.

:clap:

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Juke99 said:
In recent years, I've felt that moving up makes more sense than moving down because the way the game is played, one impact player can make a huge difference.

I'll only agree with this when we're talking about 5 key positions - and that's QB, RB, WR, CB and DE (or OLB in a 3-4). [Side note: Football insiders always mention these 5 positions as most impactful...I'm sure thay have critical insider anlaysis justifying this.]

Dallas does not have an immediate need for QB, RB, WR or CB. Dallas does have an imediate need for OLB and if they do move up it will most likely be to draft this position. But I don't see Dalla moving up for two reasons: (1) The cost of giving up picks you'll need in later rounds to move up is too high for a team like Dallas that needs to replacwe starters at multiple other positions that are not among these top 5. (2) Dalas already has a stud OLB in Ware. Moving up to get another would stack the position but create inbalance at other positions, and inbalanced teams don't win in a cap-restrained league.

Jerry Jones is talking about a potential move-down because of Dallas' need to replacwe starters at multiple other positions that are not among the top 5 mentioned above. Specifically, Dallas needs to fill holes at FS and address the OL positions - OG, C and OT. Solid FSs can be had in rounds 2 or 3. So can solid Olinemen, whrehter htey are drafted to start or to provide depth.

So in the end, while moving down means drafting lesser talent compared to what can be had by moving up, this lesser talent can still be instrumental in rounding out the balance at other positions of need, thus making the whole team stronger as a whole, and more primed to content dor a championship.

ghst187

Reaction score
theogt said:
In my opinion you should only trade up to get your franchise QB. An exception can be made to trade up 2-3 spots to pick up a player of real need. Other than that trading down is always a good thing. The draft is a crapshoot. More picks means more chances at hitting jackpot.

I agree with this. A franchise QB is usually worth mortgaging an entire draft if that's what you need and you find a guy you want. Not that it's worked out for NYG so far but...you get the point.

Tyke: good analysis on our draft position and that of those just below us. I get the feeling that BP really seems to like Kimerion Wimbley and if we trade down too far...I'm guessing that Carpenter and Lawson will be off the board. Wimbley will still be there though.
There's also the possibility that we trade out of the first round completely for an extra 2nd, 3rd, and 1st next year because some of those teams that draft high in round two aren't too bright about drafting, hence the reason they draft there every year.
Remember that more draft picks means your team gets younger quickly and then they get the chance to develop together, as a unit, like Burnett, Ratliff, Pepper Johnson, Spears, Canty, Ware, and Berault.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The problem with trading up is you need ammo and Dallas doesn't have much.

They dont have a 4th rounder as it is.
They are not drafting at the top of each round.
They aren't holding a juicy vet they'd like to trade(that I know of at least).

I'd love Ngata or Huff. I really would but I would prefer Jimmy Williams AND Maurice Stovall over either guy alone.

We are in position to fill needs wihtout acquiring stud players. We need a coverage FS but it doesn't have to the best coverage FS; just an upgrade over a SS playing there.

Ngata would be nice but Ferguson was paid to start as a NT. Do we want to give up a 2nd rounder to up to 11 or so and then play Ngata about half the defensive snaps? Even if it means not drafting a FS AND OLB that could both play 80% of the defensive snaps on the season??

Could we not draft a Rodrique Wright, Gabe Watson or Jessie Mahalona in round 2 or 3 and give them the backup snaps and the 4-3 snaps?