Movie Sequels that were better than the Original movies

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That is a sequel, I was referring to remakes like The Jungle Book or The Thing for examples.

Good point and your right! So I guess, off the top of my head, "The Man Who Knew Too Much". It was actually a remake of Hitchcock's original, made years before. But with Doris Day and Jimmy Stewart, how can you go wrong right?

quickccc

Reaction score
It is likely I would agree if not for what seems to me as misplaced forced Guardians of the Galaxy type humor.

That's exactly what made Ragnorak worked so well, - the Guardian Galaxy effect - as we previously discussed in a different thread.
And i've always seen Ragnorak promoted and displayed in streaming (before Disney took full rights) and seemingly never with
Thor or certainly Dark World, as it seems as forgotten about as the Ghost Rider flicks.

Per critic and audience reviews, Ragnorak is easily more perceived as the best of the Thor movies.
maybe some fans don't care for that kind of GOG type format and humor but box office success,promotion and reviews
But we all have Guilt Pleasures, favorites and what we like to see how our characters, plots and format work out.

quickccc

Reaction score
i also loved Iron Man 3 ( director shane black's version) ...over both of the previous Iron Man movies (director Jon Favreau) .- especially the 2nd Iron Man.

:flagwave:

quickccc

Reaction score
I can't say Aliens is better than Alien because it's a different kind of movie. Alien set everything up.

The Rocky movies are one long continuation of the same movie, even starts the next one with the end of the previous one.

The one movie that I do feel the sequel is better was Godfather II, which was actually part prequel and sequel and filling out the story.

And there's a difference between remakes and sequels.

Alien... like every Originals set up the origin of Alien, ..that's what the originals are supposed to do.

they introduce characters, feature creatures, plots, locations.
If the original sets a stage and presence per his box office numbers and production You could say that several upon several sequels are a continued.

i for one, don't see separating and distinguishing Alien vs AlienS differently as action vs horror just because AlienS pace, added characters and more chase action, suspense was more placed into it ..vs the original Alien that was introduced as more diaolgue scripted and a slower pace in
displaying character actors, spaceship atmosphere and working up until discovering the colony and embredded alien eggs in a human form.

quickccc

Reaction score
Is 3 the one with the stupid lava guys?

it is ...and i don't think it was ever explained what the origin of those Lava men were. We dunno if they were alien origin or science origin
but i loved the level of action, pace, perseverance, the great strategic rescue that included the "8 monkies in a barrel " technique to
save several passengers plunging from their deaths from the high skies.

.. i really liked how first IM revealed the origin of Tony Stark and Iron man armor.
but it seemed to fall off with the final fight with the Iron Monger, i didn't find it " wow' enough
.. it was ok, but not near at the final villain battle as IM 3 was.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
it is ...and i don't think it was ever explained what the origin of those Lava men were. We dunno if they were alien origin or science origin
but i loved the level of action, pace, perseverance, the great strategic rescue that included the "8 monkies in a barrel " technique to
save several passengers plunging from their deaths from the high skies.

.. i really liked how first IM revealed the origin of Tony Stark and Iron man armor.
but it seemed to fall off with the final fight with the Iron Monger, i didn't find it " wow' enough
.. it was ok, but not near at the final villain battle as IM 3 was.
I'm pretty sure it was the girl growing the plants that was the origin of the lava guys. Remember Tony's flashback to the party, when he told the would-be antagonist to meet him on the roof so they could talk, then he never showed up? Instead he hooked up with the girl, and in her place she had the plant that would explode? The girl and the nerdy guy got together and somehow created the serum (for lack of a better word) that gave him, and eventually his henchmen the powers.

I'm pretty sure I got that straight, but if not I'm sure @DallasEast will clear it up.

Either way, it's my least favorite of all the MCU flicks.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's exactly what made Ragnorak worked so well, - the Guardian Galaxy effect - as we previously discussed in a different thread.
And i've always seen Ragnorak promoted and displayed in streaming (before Disney took full rights) and seemingly never with
Thor or certainly Dark World, as it seems as forgotten about as the Ghost Rider flicks.

Per critic and audience reviews, Ragnorak is easily more perceived as the best of the Thor movies.
maybe some fans don't care for that kind of GOG type format and humor but box office success,promotion and reviews
But we all have Guilt Pleasures, favorites and what we like to see how our characters, plots and format work out.
Whoa! lol. I try extremely hard to state 'in my opinion' in any commentary I make, especially about movies. Sometimes my opinion aligns with popular opinion. Sometimes it is higher or much higher. Sometimes it is lower or much lower.

Thor: Ragnarok would simply be a starting place for films I did not like as much as general audiences. In no way do I claim my opinion mirrors that of 'most' people. No way. :laugh:

On the other hand, my opinion is not extremely detached from that held by the entire audience. Very few films hold universal appeal or disapproval.

On a slightly related note, I wish you had been engaged in a discussion a few years back when another member and I discussed the merits of Man of Steel. My opinion was much higher than my fellow member's but his take on the film was that it was 'the worst movie ever made'. Now that, in my humble opinion, is an extreme perception and proclamation. And one that was not remotely shared by the bulk of moviegoers and paid critics.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm pretty sure it was the girl growing the plants that was the origin of the lava guys. Remember Tony's flashback to the party, when he told the would-be antagonist to meet him on the roof so they could talk, then he never showed up? Instead he hooked up with the girl, and in her place she had the plant that would explode? The girl and the nerdy guy got together and somehow created the serum (for lack of a better word) that gave him, and eventually his henchmen the powers.

I'm pretty sure I got that straight, but if not I'm sure @DallasEast will clear it up.

Either way, it's my least favorite of all the MCU flicks.
To be honest, I do not remember exactly.

Thank goodness for Disney+ :yourock:I'll check.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be honest, I do not remember exactly.

Thank goodness for Disney+ :yourock:I'll check.
The movie starts in Bern Switzerland. Stark, Killian and Maya Hansen met at the party. Killian stupidly believed Stark would meet him on the roof. Meanwhile, Hansen showed Stark her research in her hotel room.

She is the origin of the lava men but Killian and his Advance Idea Mechanics likely perfected Extremis from being completely volatile. I think the latter is very likely since Killian killed Hansen when she threaten him by saying she would kill herself to prevent Killian from harming Stark, who was being held prisoner in her laboratory/dungeon. In other words, Killian did not need Hansen any longer.

quickccc

Reaction score
Whoa! lol. I try extremely hard to state 'in my opinion' in any commentary I make, especially about movies. Sometimes my opinion aligns with popular opinion. Sometimes it is higher or much higher. Sometimes it is lower or much lower.

Thor: Ragnarok would simply be a starting place for films I did not like as much as general audiences. In no way do I claim my opinion mirrors that of 'most' people. No way. :laugh:

On the other hand, my opinion is not extremely detached from that held by the entire audience. Very few films hold universal appeal or disapproval.

On a slightly related note, I wish you had been engaged in a discussion a few years back when another member and I discussed the merits of Man of Steel. My opinion was much higher than my fellow member's but his take on the film was that it was 'the worst movie ever made'. Now that, in my humble opinion, is an extreme perception and proclamation. And one that was not remotely shared by the bulk of moviegoers and paid critics.

i wish that it was possible to read that Man of Steel thread that you're mentioning in a "Read Only " or "Locked " as i understand
that Zone doesn't want new posts on Many moons distance long ago threads. I'd be interested to why it was being proclaimed as
the worst movie ever.. That alone sounds knee jerk reaction at the time it was released - because not only is that not true or fair of
Man of Steel being the worst, but i could name at least a handful BY far that had to easily fit that worse ever label, ..imo.

- As far as Ragnorak, i guess its subjective. .several like Capt. marvel far better than i did, and that includes movie critics and viewing audiences alike. But you already know how much of a backseat it lies in my book.

- The flip side was i was just as stunned that "Columbiana " was given such horrid reviews and thus contributed
to it's horrid low box office numbers . Otherwise we could have easily seen a sequel to that as well.

- Frank Gary Gray's " Law Abiding Citizen " was another that i was stunned that it only got C-fair reviews ( only 76%) per Rotten Tomatoes
while i thought it out as one of the more powerfully suspenseful, captivating wild twists and shocking surprises,..but its another that
while it has become one of my all time, its' not as glowingly impressive as it hit me when i first saw it .... in fact i just had another idea for
a future thread down the road.
:thumbup:

quickccc

Reaction score
OR I could do a Homer 'D'OH!' and YouTube the scene instead. :rolleyes::p

All these years and i never paid attention to what Rebecca Hall was talking about and trying to illustrate, much less i thought the plant was too close to the heater.
but this reminds me why i so much loved IM 3 despite it's flaws, it's biggest highlights:
- the Mansion attack
- the Air Force One battle with the lava henchman/8 people rescue in mid air
- Stark's one on one battle vs lava-lady in small town
- the final battle with the hordes of Starks' armored suits flying to his command to battle the lava men ... "Let's go to Work "
that includes Pepper being the savior that ends it all. (spoiler alert)