Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Movies That Were Supposed To Be Blockbusters But Bombed
by Danielle McAdam
April 19, 2022

The films that flopped, despite big budgets

Hollywood studios invest hundreds of millions of dollars into a movie in a bid to create the next big blockbuster, but not every film can be the new Avatar or Titanic. From passion projects with insanely high budgets to cinematic flops that were supposed to spawn a franchise, read on to discover some of the biggest box office bombs in cinematic history using data compiled by Statista, except where otherwise stated, with losses adjusted for inflation into 2022 money. All dollar amounts in US dollars.

Losses/Film

$174.8 million Mars Needs Moms
$163.2 million Cutthroat Island
$155.0 million Mulan
$154.4 million Wonder Woman 1984
$146.3 million The Adventures of Pluto Nash
$143.4 million Onward
$135.6 million John Carter
$131.2 million How Do You Know
$128.5 million Deepwater Horizon
$126.7 million Town & Country
$126.3 million King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
$124.8 million Monster Trucks
$121.0 million Jack The Giant Slayer
$114.7 million Evan Almighty
$113.2 million 47 Ronin
$112.5 million Chaos Walking
$111.8 million Speed Racer
$110.7 million Jupiter Ascending
$109.3 million Hugo
$109.2 million R.I.P.D.
$106.8 million The Promise
$104.3 million Tomorrowland
$099.8 million Pan
$093.8 million Poseidon
$091.2 million The Call of the Wild

Full Article Link (Slideshow)

Most surprising to me: Mulan. I knew its release was unfortunate timing but did not think it would have performed that poorly in theaters. The live-action version was pretty good in my opinion.

Least surprising to me: WW84. Had a bad feeling they might mess up the sequel, despite including Cheetah as a villain, and was completely right.

Last edited:

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
by Danielle McAdam
April 19, 2022

Hollywood studios invest hundreds of millions of dollars into a movie in a bid to create the next big blockbuster, but not every film can be the new Avatar or Titanic. From passion projects with insanely high budgets to cinematic flops that were supposed to spawn a franchise, read on to discover some of the biggest box office bombs in cinematic history using data compiled by Statista, except where otherwise stated, with losses adjusted for inflation into 2022 money. All dollar amounts in US dollars.

Losses/Film

$174.8 million Mars Needs Moms - never seen or heard of it
$163.2 million Cutthroat Island - terrible
$155.0 million Mulan - bad timing, good movie
$154.4 million Wonder Woman 1984 - was average, nothing special
$146.3 million The Adventures of Pluto Mars - never seen or heard of it
$143.4 million Onward - great movie, bad timing - surprised a animated movie lost this much
$135.6 million John Carter - didn't hate it, but it was a mess
$131.2 million How Do You Know - I don't know, because I never heard of it
$128.5 million Deepwater Horizon - enjoyed it, but thought it was pretty rushed to make a movie out of it.
$126.7 million Town & Country - no idea
$126.3 million King Arthur: Legend of the Sword - never seen it
$124.8 million Monster Trucks - how did this cost so much...not a great movie, but figured it wasn't that expensive
$121.0 million Jack The Giant Slayer - not terrible
$114.7 million Evan Almighty - enjoyed it - but I like Steve Carell
$113.2 million 47 Ronin - a cluster mess of a movie
$112.5 million Chaos Walking - haven't seen it, but heard some good things, some bad
$111.8 million Speed Racer - vomit
$110.7 million Jupiter Ascending - not very good
$109.3 million Hugo - enjoyed this one
$109.2 million R.I.P.D. - remember the previews, but never saw it.
$106.8 million The Promise - have no clue about it
$104.3 million Tomorrowland - have watched parts of it, never finished it
$099.8 million Pan - pretty strange take on Peter Pan - not terrible, just different
$093.8 million Poseidon - not a very good remake
$091.2 million The Call of the Wild - good book, haven't seen the movie - assuming this is the Harrison Ford one.

Most surprising to me: Mulan. I knew its release was unfortunate timing but did not think it would have performed that poorly in theaters. The live-action version was pretty good in my opinion.

Least surprising to me: WW84. Had a bad feeling they might mess up the sequel, despite including Cheetah as a villain, and was completely right.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Some of these that were released during the pandemic may eventually show a pulse when released worldwide

HungryLion

Reaction score
by Danielle McAdam
April 19, 2022

Losses/Film

$155.0 million Mulan
$146.3 million The Adventures of Pluto Mars
$143.4 million Onward
$113.2 million 47 Ronin
$109.3 million Hugo
$109.2 million R.I.P.D.
$099.8 million Pan
$093.8 million Poseidon

I agree on Mulan. While I think the animated version of better. The live action version was better.

Onward I think got killed due to the pandemic. It was set to release like at the same time as the lockdowns for Covid and had to just be straight to Disney+

onward is a really good movie.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
by Danielle McAdam
April 19, 2022

Losses/Film

$155.0 million Mulan
$143.4 million Onward
$113.2 million 47 Ronin
$109.3 million Hugo
$109.2 million R.I.P.D.
$099.8 million Pan
$093.8 million Poseidon

I think WW84 got far more of a ‘Pass’ than it deserved. That film was flat out trash. Such a disappointment following the pleasant surprise of the first film.

I’m surprised Matrix Resurrections isn’t on that list. That was a film that should never have been made. A blight on the franchise.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree on Mulan. While I think the animated version of better. The live action version was better.

Onward I think got killed due to the pandemic. It was set to release like at the same time as the lockdowns for Covid and had to just be straight to Disney+

There are a few from that period on that list. Call of the Wild was another.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
by Danielle McAdam
April 19, 2022

Losses/Film

$155.0 million Mulan
$143.4 million Onward
$113.2 million 47 Ronin
$109.3 million Hugo
$109.2 million R.I.P.D.
$099.8 million Pan
$093.8 million Poseidon

Is that a typo? Shouldn’t it be Pluto Nash? The Eddie Murphy film?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
by Danielle McAdam
April 19, 2022

Losses/Film

$155.0 million Mulan
$143.4 million Onward
$113.2 million 47 Ronin
$109.3 million Hugo
$109.2 million R.I.P.D.
$099.8 million Pan
$093.8 million Poseidon

Biggest surprise on there is Hugo, which is a very good movie from a very good book.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Biggest surprise on there is Hugo, which is a very good movie from a very good book.
Hugo received 11 Oscar nominations. It simply did not translate well with general audiences. I wonder how well it has done in DVD and streaming?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Onward, the Pixar movie? I was expecting that to be hilarious, but the only laughs I got were the same ones I got in the trailer that made me think it was gonna be hilarious.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Onward, the Pixar movie? I was expecting that to be hilarious, but the only laughs I got were the same ones I got in the trailer that made me think it was gonna be hilarious.

I don’t think it was a very funny movie.

I do think the movie was heartwarming and really good as far as addressing feelings of loss and grief over the passing of a close relative.

I enjoyed it.

terra

Reaction score
Hugo received 11 Oscar nominations. It simply did not translate well with general audiences. I wonder how well it has done in DVD and streaming?
Over the years a LOT of movies the critics loved and the academy worshipped the general audiences completely rejected. A lot of Woody Allen movies stank at the box office. Frankly as as I am concerned deservedly so.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think WW84 got far more of a ‘Pass’ than it deserved. That film was flat out trash. Such a disappointment following the pleasant surprise of the first film.

I’m surprised Matrix Resurrections isn’t on that list. That was a film that should never have been made. A blight on the franchise.
WW84 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Funny, because the majority of today's super hero movies have been pretty good.