Article: Movies That Were Supposed To Be Blockbusters But Bombed

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I may be one of the few that like both Cutthroat Island and Jon Carter.

No, you’re right. Jon Carter was a good movie. I still enjoy it. I think people panned it because it’s old school sci-fi. I read some of those books along with the author’s Tarzan series. Great reads, but not going to Star Wars or Matrix the young crowd.

The movie on that list that I really enjoyed was 47 Ronin. There’s always a blockbuster coming out on Greek or Egyptian mythology, but it’s rare to get a gigantic budget CGI action movie on Asian mythology. Great art direction and just a fun watch.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WW84 is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Funny, because the majority of today's super hero movies have been pretty good.

In my opinion, the consistent quality super hero films come from Disney/Marvel. The stuff from Warner Bros and Sony varies wildly in their quality. And that’s being kind.

terra

Reaction score
It was in contention.

Budget $190 million
Box office $156.6 million

$33.4M loss
You have to remember that the studio only gets a percentage of the box office. About 2/3 of what there is in the US Box Office and about 1/3 overseas.
So the actual loss is a lot bigger than that.
The standard measure of a movie breaking even is about 2.5 to 1 Box office gross to what the studio actually gets.

And most times the budget does NOT include what the studio spends to promote it. Which can be a pretty big chunk as well.

Now the movie might make it close to breaking even in a few years when all the other revenue streams come in from TV, streaming, etc.
but the studio probably only got about $75 million of that gross (if that was world wide)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Were they expected to be blockbusters?
Perhaps Dredd may be stretching expectations but any decent remake or sequel of Blade Runner or Total Recall should have been blockbusters in my opinion.

Consider this. And forget for a second that Colin Farrell reprised Arnold Schwarzenegger's role. The Total Recall remake flopped starring both:

• Jessica Biel and (you will love this)
  • Kate Beckinsale
Just how the flip could that happen? o_O:D

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perhaps Dredd may be stretching expectations but any decent remake or sequel of Blade Runner or Total Recall should have been blockbusters in my opinion.

Consider this. And forget for a second that Colin Farrell reprised Arnold Schwarzenegger's role. The Total Recall remake flopped starring both:

• Kate Beckinsale

I think it was a film that deserved a better fate than it had.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

• Kate Beckinsale
Colin Farrell

joseephuss

Reaction score
Over the years a LOT of movies the critics loved and the academy worshipped the general audiences completely rejected. A lot of Woody Allen movies stank at the box office. Frankly as as I am concerned deservedly so.

His movies weren't ever promoted as potential blockbuster movies. They typically had budgets between $15 and $20 million. Many of them made money. Probably most of them made a profit, but they were never going to make the blockbuster type numbers. For his movies, "stank at the box office" seems like a relative term. Many people didn't go watch them, but more than enough people did go, which made money and keeps him coming back over and over to make more movies. I've only seen a handful of his films, but have never gone to see one in the theater. Usually just catch them on some lazy afternoon on cable. Not bad. Not great.