Moving past 2021, Cowboys' Dak Prescott welcomes offseason focused on growth, not recovery

jnday

Reaction score
“The in-season is not that important, I guess you can say, as much as the offseason is,” Prescott said during the season. “But yeah, I look forward to getting back to him [when] the offseason happens.”

Prescott credits Beck and 3DQB as part of the foundation to his success. While his pregame warm-up became a viral sensation, the details of the program helped further Prescott’s game. Last offseason, however, they could not do everything they wanted because of Prescott’s recovery from the ankle injury.

“Everything had to involve rehab,” said Beck, who will not return to the Jets. “Like in the beginning there were days that we couldn’t have him on his feet going through a normal work day. We had to do things that took him off his feet and be strategic on how we’d work some rotational abilities, his balance, his mechanics without requiring too much from his leg and ankle too soon.”

Considering the detail involved in the position of the shoulder relative to the hips and the torque required to make certain throws, there was only so much they could do.

“Dak by nature is a pusher,” Beck said. “He’s going to push the envelope. He’s going to try to come back sooner, ‘Hey, I’m feeling good. Let’s go.’ But you’ve got to be smart with it.”

Most of the power comes from Prescott’s right leg, although not every throw requires the same amount of strength. A lot of the work Prescott goes through is to simulate game situations so the unnatural can become natural.

“Dak is wired that way to have great feet and be as clean as possible,” Beck said.

The goal last offseason was to get Prescott back to where he was before the injury. Now the goal is to make him better than he has ever been, “even if it’s by just one percent,” Beck said.

The workouts bounce between the Dallas area, including Prescott’s backyard turf field, and California. The time on field varies. Sometimes teammates will be on hand with Prescott putting together trips to build a better rapport on and off the field.

“I know he’s excited to have an offseason that feels like his normal offseason,” Beck said.

Moving past 2021, Cowboys' Dak Prescott welcomes offseason focused on growth, not recovery - Dallas Cowboys Blog- ESPN
It was easy to see that the in-season was not that important to him.

jnday

Reaction score
I think what Beck was saying is that WHEN Dak's feet are properly aligned and clean then he can deliver strikes.. which we have seen repeatedly. At least that's the way I took it. It's the off platform stuff that is not consistent. Up until this year he was the best on the run thrower I'd ever seen. This season he had become deadly from the pocket as well... Right up to the point of the calf injury.. When he came back from that he was not the same player I don't care what he says. That thing knocked him off kilter and he never really got it 100% back. It would show up occasionally but it was never consistent after New England. I assume a full offseason dedicated to his mechanics and footwork will get him back to where he was in games 1-6. Obviously though the real key is keeping him at that level for 17 games and the playoffs. I'm not going to sit here and tell you I know how to do that.. But if they can figure it out we're going to the Super Bowl..
When a man tells you who and what he is, you should believe him. He said that the calf injury was not the reason for his poor play and I believe him. It came straight from the horse’s arse or horse’s mouth, whichever one you choose to listen to.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It was easy to see that the in-season was not that important to him.

I have no doubts about Dak desire and work ethic. I make no excuses for him nor do I make excuses for those around him. Everyone needed to step it up especially in big games and post season and they failed to do so. I do think for Dak it is important to have this coming off season where the focus is football not rehab work.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
When a man tells you who and what he is, you should believe him. He said that the calf injury was not the reason for his poor play and I believe him. It came straight from the horse’s arse or horse’s mouth, whichever one you choose to listen to.

Then I assume you also believe Mike McCarthy when he said he was fully onboard with Kellen Moore sticking around.. right?

By the way.. I don't know that I would characterize it as "poor play." Over the last 10 games he threw 21 TDs and 6 interceptions while completing better than 66% of his passes and posting a passer rating above 100. While it may not have been to the otherworldly level he was at before the injury.. it's quite a stretch to call it "poor." He had three games, Denver, KC and @washington where he legitimately could be said to have played poorly. The rest? He was good to great. Including the AZ game where he put up 3 TDs, no picks, and very likely if not for the refs botching the call on Tank's forced fumble probably goes ahead and wins that one.

Proof

Reaction score
The Rams didn't have a 1,000 yard rusher this year.

Their leading rusher in the Super Bowl had 21 yards rushing. The Rams had 43 yards rushing total for the game.

Their leading rusher in the NFC Championship game had 48 yards rushing. The Rams had 70 yards rushing total for the game.

Their leading rusher in the Divisional game had 48 yards rushing. The Rams had 73 yards rushing total for the game.

Their leading rushing in the Wild Card game had 58 yards rushing. The Rams had 140 yards rushing total for that game.

Stafford in the Divisional, NFC Championship, and Super Bowl games did three games in a row, against the best competition possible, what Dak failed to do a single time all season. That's lead his team to a win without 100 yards of rushing support.

Don't fall for the false narrative that you need a dominate run game to win games. That is a Romo and Dak excuse, THEY needed/need that, but it's simply not true for truly great QBs.

So either Dak is great or he needs carried. It can't be both.

sorry, a solid run game or most ungaurdable / dominant receiver in the league, and incredible defense. either or

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"His pregame warmup became a viral sensation. "

It's nice when such lofty goals are met. Brings a tear to my eye.

Right, what is so viral about it.
When Icky Woods did his Icky Shuffle...now if we had social media back then..that would become viral. As you see now days, more people trying the Icky Shuffle than the Dak Whatever.
Only time I see it is pregame warmup video during a Dallas game.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was about to say. His footwork his one of this biggest problems lol

He got happy feet after the calf injury or when under pressure. Oh he had a few games where it wasn't as much, when he had protection and trusted his OL. However it seemed many times he thought he was under pressure, when he still had time. But then he held the ball too long. That resulted in a poor play.

He needs to get back to instincts and stop thinking too much.

Otherwise, all this typical off-season talk about getting things done or the right way, improving is just typical talk.
I will wait for him to show me on the field. I still like Dak to a degree. But show us.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Right, what is so viral about it.
When Icky Woods did his Icky Shuffle...now if we had social media back then..that would become viral. As you see now days, more people trying the Icky Shuffle than the Dak Whatever.
Only time I see it is pregame warmup video during a Dallas game.
I think I was boozed up and mad when I wrote that.

I was at least mad lol.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prescott is well schooled by his agent to say the right things and not put too fine a point on just how he's going to get better and Romo did the same thing.

Admit you could play better, commit to playing better and move on, mission accomplished.

Anyone that doesn't think he has improved since coming into the league just hasn't watched him close enough. He is to be admired for his work ethic; however, there are limitations for every athlete and they can take themselves just so far.

I am assuming Booger and McC don't want to risk their QB to injury, although both of those were freak injuries, but without the threat of his legs, his arm is limited. Steve Young was an accurate passer but it was the threat of him taking off that gave him the edge. The D could not play him one way or relax on him.

Allen, Burrow, Herbert and Mahomes all have that threat and that creates unease in the intermediate secondary and Prescott had that until the injury and big contract. They paid that big contract for his legs as well because those are the legs that got him on the Heisman watch list.

Beginning with that SB last year, teams had the template for playing the Chiefs, just keep Hill and Kelce in front of them and that frustrated Mahomes into making mistakes. But then he figured out using his legs could address that and sure enough his receivers started taking advantage of the DB's looking at Mahomes and made them turn their backs.

Prescott needs to run more and not broken plays, designed QB runs. Use all of his talents.

CoachD

Reaction score
Nothing like hearing the same old crap every off season, now can we get something new maybe something that we haven't heard before how about that??

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing like hearing the same old crap every off season, now can we get something new maybe something that we haven't heard before how about that??
He could just say "hey, I'm good, slept well last night and what do you people want for 40M"?

He says the same things Romo said, "we gotta get better at that". To which some reporter should ask "and how do you do that, why weren't you good enough"?

They say things to make the questions go away, not answer them.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The only thing I could want more from Prescott, is consistency

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
The only thing I could want more from Prescott, is consistency

Ding Ding Ding There you have it!!!! Dak needs more consistency. I don't care what he does in the fourth quarter of a losing cause. I want him to play that way all game.

Enough with that turning it on turning it of stuff. That's the leadership I want to see. You want to take the next step ? Put up good numbers all game. Not when you're down 28-10 going into the fourth.

I believe he can do it, I'm rooting for him to do it, But time will tell.

I would call that , killer instinct. Get on em early and keep your boot on they're neck.

jnday

Reaction score
Then I assume you also believe Mike McCarthy when he said he was fully onboard with Kellen Moore sticking around.. right?

By the way.. I don't know that I would characterize it as "poor play." Over the last 10 games he threw 21 TDs and 6 interceptions while completing better than 66% of his passes and posting a passer rating above 100. While it may not have been to the otherworldly level he was at before the injury.. it's quite a stretch to call it "poor." He had three games, Denver, KC and @washington where he legitimately could be said to have played poorly. The rest? He was good to great. Including the AZ game where he put up 3 TDs, no picks, and very likely if not for the refs botching the call on Tank's forced fumble probably goes ahead and wins that one.
That good/great play does not translate to wins. I don’t believe much that MM says. I do think MM wanted Moore around because MM’s offense had become very stale in Green Bay. This led to MM wanting to keep Moore and have him call plays. The pathetic part of this is that MM is known around the league for making horrible in-game decisions. It makes to hard to understand how MM can screw up so much when the OC and DC are calling plays. MM has one job to do which is coaching during the game. He constantly makes gigantic mistakes during the games which includes going for it on 4th down in bad situations.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That good/great play does not translate to wins. I don’t believe much that MM says. I do think MM wanted Moore around because MM’s offense had become very stale in Green Bay. This led to MM wanting to keep Moore and have him call plays. The pathetic part of this is that MM is known around the league for making horrible in-game decisions. It makes to hard to understand how MM can screw up so much when the OC and DC are calling plays. MM has one job to do which is coaching during the game. He constantly makes gigantic mistakes during the games which includes going for it on 4th down in bad situations.

So basically if what a guy says fits your narrative you believe him.. and if it doesn't you don't. Convenient..

Good/great play would translate to more wins if more of his teammates were on the same level that he has been. The simple fact is that too many players on this team played like bottom half of the league at their positions which offset Dak's playing at a top 10 level at his. Could Dak do more? Of course he could. But he needs help.. He needs his line to block, his receivers to catch the ball, to know the damn play (CD) but I think most of all he needs his OC to quit calling and designing plays that run/throw into the teeth of the defensive scheme. This team is no longer good enough to just line up and kick the other team's arse when facing good teams. Yes they can boat race chumps but they will face teams with equal and sometimes better talent and that's when our eyes should turn to the coaches. At least that's where mine turn.