Muhammad Wilkerson to be released?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with the premise of what you said. But with all due respect, the two players you mention didn't sign $86 million dollar contract extensions with teams they didn't want to play with, in fact they didn't even sign a first contract with those certain teams.

Kind of makes you question his decision making if he resigned a long term contract with a team he has no interest in being a part of. At least Elway and Eli were up front about it from the start.

I don't "question" this one at all.

Poor character player with great physical talent that wanted to get paid - from whoever and wherever - and lacks the mental commitment to the job.

There have been many of the same types, with Albert Haynesworth being at the head of the cautionary list.

Ndamakung Suh is a recent glaring example of buyer beware as well. The Dolphins made a huge mistake signing him too and aren't winning a thing as a result.

And whoever is in charge will look to get out of that deal as soon as they can afford it.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Very much so. But he would be the second overpaid, overweight, underperforming, undisciplined malcontent that the Jets made the mistake of relying upon, in my opinion.

Sheldon Richardson being the first.

They invested a great deal in premier athletes on their defensive line in Richardson, Wilkerson, and Leonard Williams. And things never worked out as well as they had hoped for.
Richardson is in SEA now, no, Stash? He hasn't done much there, has he?

Reaction score
Sometimes a change of scenery is all a guy needs to play better. Dareus has actually played pretty well so far in Jax.
But this guy seems to be on another level. Missing practices, etc.

For no guaranteed money, maybe. Otherwise, no.

Watch him go to NE and be a star for them next year. Belichek gets a kick from picking up players thrown away by division rivals and turning them into effective players for him.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Watch him go to NE and be a star for them next year. Belichek gets a kick from picking up players thrown away by division rivals and turning them into effective players for him.

This was my first thought when I read this thread, LOL!

John813

Reaction score
Ndamakung Suh is a recent glaring example of buyer beware as well. The Dolphins made a huge mistake signing him too and aren't winning a thing as a result.

And whoever is in charge will look to get out of that deal as soon as they can afford it.

They actually restructured his deal last year, as he was set to make 28.6 million in 16...
So, they are stuck with that god awful contract for at least through at least 2018, if not 19.
26.1 million against the cap next year...

Tannenbaum makes Jerry look competent as a GM.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
It is hilarious that people put Lawrence in this class. He has never quit being a hard worker. He has had surgical injuries and a broken foot. When he has even been able to put on his pads he has put forth good effort I am not sure he should be paid as a top tier guy, but he certainly isn't a bum and I can't ever see him not working hard. For guys like Wilkerson and Richardson, the writing was on the wall even before they got paid...their teams just panicked.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
He'd probably be a 3Tech here and we already have three guys who get a lot of snaps there.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Wilkerson was a very good player. Since he broke his leg, his effort has not been good, and he's allergic to finding the building on time. Exactly the kind of guy that you don't want to bring on,
:hammer:You nailed.........when he's released, I'm guessing teams will only offer him a 1 year prove it deal.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
You can’t meme about RKG and also complain about being inactive in FA.

I’m probably in the minority but considering this defense can use a Wilkerson type talent I would absolutely look to sign him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Very much so. But he would be the second overpaid, overweight, underperforming, undisciplined malcontent that the Jets made the mistake of relying upon, in my opinion.

Sheldon Richardson being the first.

They invested a great deal in premier athletes on their defensive line in Richardson, Wilkerson, and Leonard Williams. And things never worked out as well as they had hoped for.

Not sure Richardson ever rec'd 2nd contract from Jets.......one of the reasons he was traded to the Seahawks. Of the two, I'd take Richardson in a heartbeat with RIGHT ( depending on his maturity) kind of deal. The Dude can ball........

Tackles Interceptions
Year Team G Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int TDs Yds Avg Lng
2017 Seattle Seahawks 11 33 20 13 1.0 -- 1 1 0 5 5.0 5
2016 New York Jets 15 62 38 24 1.5 -- 2 -- -- -- 0.0 --
2015 New York Jets 11 35 20 15 5.0 -- 2 -- -- -- 0.0 --
2014 New York Jets 16 67 42 25 8.0 1 1 -- -- -- 0.0 --
2013 New York Jets 16 78 42 36 3.5 0 1 -- -- -- 0.0 --
TOTAL 69 275 162 113 19.0 1 7 1 0 5 -- 5

batman36

Reaction score
They actually restructured his deal last year, as he was set to make 28.6 million in 16...
So, they are stuck with that god awful contract for at least through at least 2018, if not 19.
26.1 million against the cap next year...

Tannenbaum makes Jerry look competent as a GM.
Tannenbaum is in Miami, and has been with the Dolphins for a few seasons now. He did sign Suh to his deal there.

Sydla

Reaction score
How many of these big dudes have to get paid, then get fat & lazy, before people stop throwing boatloads of cash at them?

Haynesworth
Suh
Dareus
Wilkerson

Dareus is destroying people in Jax. They went from one of the worst run Ds to one of the better ones after his trade.

Dareus got caught up in the crap show that was the Buffalo Bills dysfunction.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure Richardson ever rec'd 2nd contract from Jets.......one of the reasons he was traded to the Seahawks. Of the two, I'd take Richardson in a heartbeat with RIGHT ( depending on his maturity) kind of deal. The Dude can ball........

Tackles Interceptions
Year Team G Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int TDs Yds Avg Lng
2017 Seattle Seahawks 11 33 20 13 1.0 -- 1 1 0 5 5.0 5
2016 New York Jets 15 62 38 24 1.5 -- 2 -- -- -- 0.0 --
2015 New York Jets 11 35 20 15 5.0 -- 2 -- -- -- 0.0 --
2014 New York Jets 16 67 42 25 8.0 1 1 -- -- -- 0.0 --
2013 New York Jets 16 78 42 36 3.5 0 1 -- -- -- 0.0 --
TOTAL 69 275 162 113 19.0 1 7 1 0 5 -- 5

No, I don't think Richardson did, but if I'm not mistaken, he was tagged with a 5th year option and the Jets tried unsuccessfully to unload him for quite a while.

Between that, and the draft pick the Jets used to acquire him, I think it was another case of buyers' remorse for New York.

He used to be a baller. And then he got complacent. And he's never been the kind of guy you want in your team, but a guy you put up with because he was so talented. Now, not so much.

John813

Reaction score
Tannenbaum is in Miami, and has been with the Dolphins for a few seasons now. He did sign Suh to his deal there.

Oh I know. Even though he isn't the official GM, he is the guy calling the shots.
They did that dumb deal to get it to fit the first year, but it completely screwed up the remaining years cap hit wise.
They have had that mindset of "one player away" and foolishly used to blow their load on overrated Free agents. Ireland started that trend before resigning in 13/14.

Dude is slowly making the Dolphins worse, some how, with all his bad extensions/contract handling.

cowboyfan4lyfe

Reaction score
He was on many posters radar for 2016 free signing ..........including myself
Exactly the kind of player/signing that scares Stephen Jone

Muhammad Wilkerson - DL - Jets
According to NJ Advance Media's Connor Hughes, Jets DE Muhammad Wilkerson "has regularly shown up late to team’s morning meetings this season."

He sometimes misses them altogether. Wilkerson was handed a five-year, $86 million deal in July 2016, and he's answered that with a dreadful 2016 and up-and-down 2017 after previously being one of the best players at his position. Injuries have played a factor, but it's fair to wonder if Wilkerson has just mailed it in since getting paid. He was benched for the first quarter of last week's win over the Chiefs. Wilkerson's 2018 salary of $16.75 million doesn't become guaranteed until the third day of the new league year in March. He'll be a release candidate.

Source: NJ Advance Media
Dec 6 - 9:16 AM
I wouldn't touch him. The Jets have played above expectations and he is conducting his business like this being late for meetings??? Don't need his attitude around our young team.