Muhammad Wilkerson trade?

hendog

Reaction score
The Jets are reportedly actively trying to trade Wilkerson. They're hard against the cap and don't have Fitzpatrick under contract. Granted whoever trades for him would eventually have to pony up some serious cash.

He is one of 3 players with 55 tackles and at least 5 sacks each of the last 4 years ( Watt and Calais Campbell).

My question is would you be willing to trade for him and if so what would you be willing to give up? Jets are supposedly seeking a first rd pick. I would consider Ronald Leary and a 3rd.

Now go ahead and tell me how stupid I am. Go ahead...I can take it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Jets are reportedly actively trying to trade Wilkerson. They're hard against the cap and don't have Fitzpatrick under contract. Granted whoever trades for him would eventually have to pony up some serious cash.

He is one 3 players with 55 tackles and at least 5 sacks each of the last 4 years ( Watt and Calais Campbell).

My question is would you be willing to trade for him and if so what would you be willing to give up? Jets are supposedly seeking a first rd pick. I would consider Ronald Leary and a 3rd.

Now go ahead and tell me how stupid I am. Go ahead...I can take it.

I think if you threw in Dexter Coakley they'd go for it,,,

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I'm guessing he is going to want Suh/Watt/Oliver money. So, with Fred/Martin coming up for extension, that may be a bridge to far to travel.

Great player but an expensive one.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
If we paid that kind of ransom, plus forking over draft picks, that would be impede youth and cap. No thanks.

LittleD

Reaction score
Trades for great players hardly ever go down in the NFL anymore unless your like Jacksonville which always seems
to have 50+mil in cap space. Makes no sense when we have 3 OL guys coming up over the next 4 years
who are going to want to get paid. We drafted these guys with a vision for the future and you don't want
to let your guys go if they're good.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
If we paid that kind of ransom, plus forking over draft picks, that would be impede youth and cap. No thanks.

How would bringing in a 26 year old guy who arguably hasnt even reached his prime yet be "impeding youth"? The only downside to bringing in a young superstar DT who is already one of the most dominant D-Lineman in football would be the money he will demand but surely deserves. I don't think any D-Lineman should get paid what Suh or Watt are getting paid so if Mo Wilkerson is looking for that kind of $$, i'd say pass, but he's good enough where it's at least worth considering.

Reactions: BAT

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
How would bringing in a 26 year old guy who arguably hasnt even reached his prime yet be "impeding youth"? The only downside to bringing in a young superstar DT who is already one of the most dominant D-Lineman in football would be the money he will demand but surely deserves. I don't think any D-Lineman should get paid what Suh or Watt are getting paid so if Mo Wilkerson is looking for that kind of $$, i'd say pass, but he's good enough where it's at least worth considering.

Because I'm about the more prudent approach. Grow em here, have the money down the road to pay and keep them. Draft. Draft. Draft.

Now I wouldn't cry if Jones goes wildcatting again, and tries to land Wilkerson. But it won't happen. And I'm okay with that.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Swap draft picks and walk off with a quality defensive linemen from the start...That would probably put Dallas into a more productive spot to start out in, for draft purposes. They then wouldn't over pay for plugging holes and improving.

Throw in a cheap resigning of Hardy, and we have the makings of a coup on our hands...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Without even a Hardy clouding the picture, Dallas might do something like a Shaq Lawson, after the trade...and I like Ronald Blair about the 3rd round. If that couldn't grow a strong section with what is already on roster, I don't know what to say...

CCBoy

Reaction score
He is a 3-4 DE, not a 4-3 DE. Does not fit what we do. So, no.

He's high profile in a defensive line's interior. You don't think this wouldn't translate into the Dallas interior as well? I do...and that would leave both Thornton and Crawford to make a pretty potent interior line group. One addition at defensive tackle via the draft, in that high quality positional group this draft, and the team can even go with a projected high end defensive end in the 3rd to 4th rounds and project a stronger group there as well. Gregory and Lawrence should be a realistic future projection, now...

Here's the picture of where strength would project then:

At 26, Wilkerson would fit right into the core of a revamped defensive line featuring younger players such as Tyrone Crawford (26), DeMarcus Lawrence (23), Cedric Thornton (27) and Randy Gregory (23).

http://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/201...wboys-draft-day-trade-for-muhammad-wilkerson/

hendog

Reaction score
If we're truly going all in on Romo this type of move is something I would seriously consider. Contract be damn, figure out a way to make it work. Tell romo to take a pay cut if he wants pieces around him to build a winner and quick.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He is a 3-4 DE, not a 4-3 DE. Does not fit what we do. So, no.

Wilkerson would star as a 3 tech DT and most likely play the 1 tech at a top level as well. I wouldn't put it past him to be able to play LE just like Reggie White. The problem is not being a fit but how much he will cost. The Cowboys just paid TY Crawford 9 million avg and Thornton 4+ million avg. Wilkerson is on a 1 year 15+ million contract and to make that deal you need to either extend him or plan on tagging him. I'm not sure if they can fit him contract wise to the salary cap.

Reactions: BAT
Reaction score
Wilkerson would star as a 3 tech DT and most likely play the 1 tech at a top level as well. I wouldn't put it past him to be able to play LE just like Reggie White. The problem is not being a fit but how much he will cost. The Cowboys just paid TY Crawford 9 million avg and Thornton 4+ million avg. Wilkerson is on a 1 year 15+ million contract and to make that deal you need to either extend him or plan on tagging him. I'm not sure if they can fit him contract wise to the salary cap.

I agree with all except LE. Not in Marinelli's 4-3. He values speed and get-off, not strength, in DE's. And having committed so much money to DTs, I just don't see Wilkerson there.

Shunpike

Reaction score
Giants still have over 20+ mil for this year. I would love to trade for him but I don't think Jets will trade him to Giants. I heard Bears was negotiating with Jets.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
I would love to have him, as we don't really have a centerpiece to the defense and there's nobody that's going to be there at 4 who's likely to be one. We could use a Tyron Smith of the defensive line. Crawford ain't it.

BUUUUUT it's going to be a Suh level contract. Something like 6 years and $110 million w/ 50% guaranteed. Given the Cowboys want to run DL in sub packages so they can send guys in waves and keep everyone fresh, having so much cap in a couple of defensive linemen is incongruent with that philosophy. Lawrence could be muy muy expensive in a year, especially if he shows well at RDE.

And honestly, as great as Watt has been, what's he won? What has any great DL won without a QB?