Muhammad Wilkerson trade?

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
If the game plan is to go " all in" for Romos remaining years then why not. Worry about the Cap consequences after Romo and Witten Retire then rebuild. Heck Dez only has like 3-4 years left too at 27

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He is a 3-4 DE, not a 4-3 DE. Does not fit what we do. So, no.

Money or draft picks notwithstanding, the moment that Wilkerson is signed he is the best pass rusher on this Cowboys roster and it's not even close. So scheme fit is important but as a 4-3 DT he should garner even more sacks because he would not be required to 2 gap nearly as often as he would as 3-4 DE.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The only way I trade for him is if a re-signing is a contingency in the trade. The trade value + the contract value has to fit. Trading a #1 pick and paying Suh type money for a guy who isn't a DeMarcus Ware / Jared Allen type DE isn't something I would even consider.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Money or draft picks notwithstanding, the moment that Wilkerson is signed he is the best pass rusher on this Cowboys roster and it's not even close. So scheme fit is important but as a 4-3 DT he should garner even more sacks because he would not be required to 2 gap nearly as often as he would as 3-4 DE.

This is not as clear cut as you make it. A 3-4 DE does not play the same game as a 4-3 DT at either the 1T or the 3T. Chris Canty played well at 3-4 DE, but he would not have be as effective at DT in a 4-3. Wilkerson is a better 3-4 DE than Canty, but I'm not sure how he pans out at a 4-3 DT. I suspect he will be good, but I don't know how good. I think Ratliff when he was in his prime would have been more disruptive as a 3T in a 4-3 than Wilkerson.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
This is not as clear cut as you make it. A 3-4 DE does not play the same game as a 4-3 DT at either the 1T or the 3T. Chris Canty played well at 3-4 DE, but he would not have be as effective at DT in a 4-3. Wilkerson is a better 3-4 DE than Canty, but I'm not sure how he pans out at a 4-3 DT. I suspect he will be good, but I don't know how good. I think Ratliff when he was in his prime would have been more disruptive as a 3T in a 4-3 than Wilkerson.

Wilkerson is not the typical 3-4 DE. His game would fit any scheme. His first step, hand use, vision and power is second to only JJ Watt IMO. Highly recommend closely watching Jets games to see what I mean.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
If the game plan is to go " all in" for Romos remaining years then why not. Worry about the Cap consequences after Romo and Witten Retire then rebuild. Heck Dez only has like 3-4 years left too at 27

Would trade Tyrone Crawford (prefer Maliek Collins, but Collins has little scheme fit with Jets so lacks versatility or trade value like a Sheldon Day or Jonathan Bullard plus all the big dollars are not tied up in one position, 3 tech), Ron Leary (or Terence Williams) and a future 2nd for Wilkerson.

Crawford is a great athlete and still has upside (can play inside or outside in 4-3 and has size/length to play 3-4 DE which Jets' employ) but he is more athlete than football player at this stage and more importantly has trouble staying on the field. Mo Wilkerson has already put up multiple double digit sack seasons and a pro bowl.

Wilkerson is already a gamechanger and putting him on the DL will actually improve all the players around him, especially DLaw who needs his one on one's to have maximum impact. Mo Wilkerson would essentially be the Cowboys' 2nd round pick in 2016 while Jaylon Smith would be our 2nd in 2017.

The trade is win-win. Sign Dom Easley for vet min with incentives too.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Would trade Tyrone Crawford (prefer Maliek Collins, but Collins has little scheme fit with Jets so lacks versatility or trade value like a Sheldon Day or Jonathan Bullard plus all the big dollars are not tied up in one position, 3 tech), Ron Leary (or Terence Williams) and a future 2nd for Wilkerson.

Crawford is a great athlete and still has upside (can play inside or outside in 4-3 and has size/length to play 3-4 DE which Jets' employ) but he is more athlete than football player at this stage and more importantly has trouble staying on the field. Mo Wilkerson has already put up multiple double digit sack seasons and a pro bowl.

Wilkerson is already a gamechanger and putting him on the DL will actually improve all the players around him, especially DLaw who needs his one on one's to have maximum impact. Mo Wilkerson would essentially be the Cowboys' 2nd round pick in 2016 while Jaylon Smith would be our 2nd in 2017.

The trade is win-win. Sign Dom Easley for vet min with incentives too.

I like the way you think. We would do some damage with your plan

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I like the way you think. We would do some damage with your plan

If Cowboys are serious in contending for Lombardi, they have to improve the pass rush. Having a cornerstone player like Wilkerson brings them one big step closer to that goal. Staying status quo is HUGE step backward IMO, the pass rush will be worse than last season which was already bottom of the league. The addition of Collins and Tapper will not offset the losses of Hardy and 4 games without Lawrence & Gregory, not even close.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cap aside, because I have no idea what his contract demands are, I would trade a 2nd for him, if that would get it done. He's a premier Defensive Player in the NFL. He is not just a 34 DE. He could play all along the DL but he could be brutal as a 3Tech or a 1Tech.

Now, could we afford him? Hard to say but we had a plan to be able to afford Hardy if he would have worked out so I'm guessing we have a way to create cap if we really needed to. JMO

Reactions: BAT

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cap aside, because I have no idea what his contract demands are, I would trade a 2nd for him, if that would get it done. He's a premier Defensive Player in the NFL. He is not just a 34 DE. He could play all along the DL but he could be brutal as a 3Tech or a 1Tech.

Now, could we afford him? Hard to say but we had a plan to be able to afford Hardy if he would have worked out so I'm guessing we have a way to create cap if we really needed to. JMO

Im guessing 15 million per, probably a sizable guarentee. Personally Id do it. Corner stone player.

Reactions: BAT

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I'd trade Leary and a draft pick for him. Wilkerson is a legitimate probowler that the defense desperately needs

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Would trade a 2nd if that's all it took. But if packaged with players like Leary/Terrence Williams and Escobar (Jets in dire need of TE) plus a pick then 3rd is highest I go. If Leary is traded at all, I hope Cowboys sign Amini Silatolu. If this guy is 100% he would be a huge upgrade to Looney.

And I would rather trade a guy like Wilcox or Church than lose them for nothing. I doubt both guys make the roster if Kavon Frazier is kept. That's too many one dimensional safeties IMO.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Go all in and not have the $$$ for Martin or Frederick.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Go all in and not have the $$$ for Martin or Frederick.

Just restructure and push the money down the line. No biggie. Besides the cap went up 10 million each of the least two years, this year will be the same. Right now we are 7 mill under. Church and Carr will be off the books next year as well. That's 10-12 mill in cap space as well. Plenty plenty plenty.

Last edited:

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
So your solution is to spend no big money on defense and just spend it on offense? Stephen has stated often enough that money is not an issue.

Yes sir! At some point in time we need to spend some cash on the D. Im not saying we gotta go the denver route ( which obviously played out well for them) but lets see 1-3 FAs in here that can really help the D. I agree w u 100%

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
So your solution is to spend no big money on defense and just spend it on offense? Stephen has stated often enough that money is not an issue.

Right now Martin & Frederick are priority #1. What's left over is left over iin terms of money available.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I would love to have him, as we don't really have a centerpiece to the defense and there's nobody that's going to be there at 4 who's likely to be one. We could use a Tyron Smith of the defensive line. Crawford ain't it.

BUUUUUT it's going to be a Suh level contract. Something like 6 years and $110 million w/ 50% guaranteed. Given the Cowboys want to run DL in sub packages so they can send guys in waves and keep everyone fresh, having so much cap in a couple of defensive linemen is incongruent with that philosophy. Lawrence could be muy muy expensive in a year, especially if he shows well at RDE.

And honestly, as great as Watt has been, what's he won? What has any great DL won without a QB?

I agree with you to a point. Denver's DL did amazing last season without a QB. The saying "defense wins championships" resonates for a reason.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

When Stephen said that he wasn't referring to signing a 17 million dollar a year player.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
When Stephen said that he wasn't referring to signing a 17 million dollar a year player.

I disagree. The Jones' will sign a high salaried D player, it just depends on the player. A guy like Von Miller would be a no brainer. Wilkerson could be just a tick below, he's certainly better than Fletcher who was just signed. The price has been set, there is no going back now.