Video: Murray led the NFL in yards, then retired after only 3 more seasons. What happened?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Cowboys low balled him actually. But lets look at the results of NOT resigning Murray. They wasted the 4th pick in the draft on Zeke.
Not only that which was huge but as a result or fear our ownership caved on Dez franchise tag and the best triplets we’ve fielded this era which took us to the brink of a championship appearance with dramatic heartbreaking failed call would never take the field together again.

Our dysfunctional ownership totally mismanaged Murray’s and Dez contract situation. They bought into the hype of our OL and attempted a RB by committee and misjudged their remaining talent. And Dez never lived up to his new contract.

Romo would never lead us to or in the playoffs again . Fatal error. And without getting lucky with Dak wouldn’t have rebounded at all.

Tussinman

Reaction score
LOL. A slanted view? Sure, pal. The Cowboys offered a 4 year $:laugh:16 million deal. He signed with the Eagles for 5 years $40 million with $20 guaranteed and you don’t think the Cowboys low balled him?
Just because some idiot franchise pays double the bidding price for no reason doesn't mean they low balled him (this isn't a difficult concept).

Cowboys offered him an early extension, offered in line with Oakland/Jacksonville, and never threatened him with trades or tags.

Not commiting front office suicide (eagles offer) doesn't equal "uhhh low ball" (i'm sure your brain can comprehend that, it's not a difficult concept)
I dont fault him there. cowboys should have countered with a better deal, not as much as philly but closer, and maybe he stays, but back then what I read was the jones boys just werent that interested in keeping him, and that pissed him off.
Cowboys offered him a deal based on the 2 other bidders and even offered him an early extension after only starting a single season.

Cowboys actually did what a smart front office does, make a good offer but don't sell the farm.

I find it ironic that 90% of this forum whines about the "cowboys not negotiating and overpay for there own players"

Cowboys do the opposite to Murray (do what smart front offices do and make good offers but don't overpay) and the narrative is "cowboys lowballed Murray".

I'm calling BS on that and find it ironic that the fans are complaining about something that they wish the cowboys would do NOW (those same people whining about Murray wanted Zeke signed to 40% less money then what he got.........)

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
yep............him and Garrett blew it by thinking some scrub could come in and do what Murray did. Then they went waaay the other way the next year and blew the 4th pick in the draft on a RB when Ramsey was sitting there.
Actually Garrett lobbied to resign Murray. It was the Cheapskate Son who sold the hype of our OL that anyone could run behind it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not only that which was huge but as a result or fear our ownership caved on Dez franchise tag and the best triplets we’ve fielded this era which took us to the brink of a championship appearance with dramatic heartbreaking failed call would never take the field together again.

Our dysfunctional ownership totally mismanaged Murray’s and Dez contract situation. They bought into the hype of our OL and attempted a RB by committee and misjudged their remaining talent. And Dez never lived up to his new contract.

Romo would never lead us to or in the playoffs again . Fatal error. And without getting lucky with Dak wouldn’t have rebounded at all.

You dont think Garrett had a hand in any of that? It was HIS offense after all. I have no doubt that Garrett was at the forefront of taking Zeke and getting rid of Murray. And who can forget Garrett and Jerry being caught flat footed by Zeke's suspension in 2017?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Actually Garrett lobbied to resign Murray. It was the Cheapskate Son who sold the hype of our OL that anyone could run behind it.

Another big failure of Garrett. If you cant convince management to keep or get rid of the players you want or dont want, what good are you?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You dont think Garrett had a hand in any of that? It was HIS offense after all. I have no doubt that Garrett was at the forefront of taking Zeke and getting rid of Murray. And who can forget Garrett and Jerry being caught flat footed by Zeke's suspension in 2017?
Can’t believe you don’t recall Garrett publicly announcing he wanted to retain Murray. And Stephen touting we’d be fine with our OL with the RB we had.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Another big failure of Garrett. If you cant convince management to keep or get rid of the players you want or dont want, what good are you?
That’s where the Puppetry comes in. And why it’s so difficult to overcome our ownership.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just because some idiot franchise pays double the bidding price for no reason doesn't mean they low balled him (this isn't a difficult concept).

Cowboys offered him an early extension, offered in line with Oakland/Jacksonville, and never threatened him with trades or tags.

Not commiting front office suicide (eagles offer) doesn't equal "uhhh low ball" (i'm sure your brain can comprehend that, it's not a difficult concept)
Cowboys offered market rate in relation to recent deals and the 2 other bidders and even offered him an early extension after only starting a single season.

Cowboys actually did what a smart front office does, make a good offer but don't sell the farm.

I find it ironic that 90% of this forum whines about the cowboys not negotiating and overpay for there own players.

Cowboys do the opposite to Murray (do what smart front offices do and make good offers but don't overpay) and the narrative is "cowboys lowballed Murray".

I'm calling BS on that and find it ironic that the fans are complaining about something that they wish the cowboys would do NOW
You actually believe that?

It’s a much better argument that we were over confident with our over hyped OL we believed we could run with the backups we had. And we had some concerns with Murray’s injury history.

I don’t believe I recall anyone disputing we didn’t lowball him. Lol

Tussinman

Reaction score
You actually believe that?
Yes. Murray even said himself that the Eagles offered 2x what was being thrown around so it was a no brainer. That's what happens when you have a clown (Chip Kelly) as your coach and GM

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

Cowboys offered him a deal based on the 2 other bidders and even offered him an early extension after only starting a single season.

I find it ironic that 90% of this forum whines about the "cowboys not negotiating and overpay for there own players"

I'm calling BS on that and find it ironic that the fans are complaining about something that they wish the cowboys would do NOW
Offering $4 million a year was an insult. Murray still gave them an opportunity to come up after knowing what the market was offering and the Cowboys wouldn’t. Here look at some of the other players and what they were making at the time.

https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/2015/

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That’s where the Puppetry comes in. And why it’s so difficult to overcome our ownership.

Well when you hire a puppet, you do so because you know he will do whatever you want. Its an apparent lack of respect. If Garrett had any stones he either would have demanded they do more of what he wanted, or he would have quit.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes. Murray even said himself that the Eagles offered 2x what was being thrown around so it was a no brainer. That's what happens when you have a clown (Chip Kelly) as your coach and GM
Right, Egirls totally misused him. Then he rebounded when traded to Titans. Had a good year until injuries ended up doing him in. And then Titans drafted Henry. Murray never played again.

As it turned out regardless how much it set us back initially , our injury concerns were valid. That finally did him in.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Offering $4 million a year was an insult. Murray still gave them an opportunity to come up after knowing what the market was offering and the Cowboys wouldn’t. Here look at some of the other players and what they were making at the time.

https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/2015/

Low ball not low ball, again I dont think it was a mistake to not pay an oft injured RB comming off his best season....We didn't lose that year because we didn't have Murray, somehow no matter what happens a JG led team that makes the playoffs will play like they dont care about football the next year. They shouldve grabbed a better backup than the clepto though if they were gonna let Murray go.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well when you hire a puppet, you do so because you know he will do whatever you want. Its an apparent lack of respect. If Garrett had any stones he either would have demanded they do more of what he wanted, or he would have quit.
No doubt. But our dysfunctional ownership has even meddled with HC with their puppetry on those we wouldn’t necessarily call Puppets. That’s the model this era with Jethro and his frikin Son.

The only one who had the balls to walk away this era was Bill.

Last edited:

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Low ball not low ball, again I dont think it was a mistake to not pay an oft injured RB comming off his best season....We didn't lose that year because we didn't have Murray, somehow no matter what happens a JG led team that makes the playoffs will play like they dont care about football the next year. They shouldve grabbed a better backup than the clepto though if they were gonna let Murray go.
Personally, I don’t think it was a mistake to let him go, but I can admit the offer was an insult and I think I am one of the very few who thought our RBs were more than adequate in 2015, if not the only one.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No doubt. But our dysfunctional ownership has even meddled with HC with their puppetry on those we wouldn’t necessarily call Puppets. That’s the model this era the Jethro and his frikin Son.

The only one who had the balls to walk away this era was Bill.

What are the odds that Garrett gets another HC job in the next 5 years?

InTheZone

Reaction score
Murray was clearly declining throughout that final season with us. I don't blame a back when opportunities simply aren't there, but what he could do before was gone. Sure he could run hard, but that was the extent of it as the season went on. To then want a ridiculous contract after he hit his wall was not a good look for him. I was rooting for him to get his 2000, but it came at a price. He may have been more productive than he was with Philly had he stayed, but his days were numbered.

Eagles do like most fans and look at numbers and nothing else. Quick to sign Murray then wonder what happened when their product hit the field. Also their system was dysfunctional.