My 4th (Final?) Cowboys Mock Draft

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I think I've enjoyed contemplating what we're going to do this year more than any in recent years. It's nice not to see a glaring hole that needs to be filled. My previous Mocks are at the end of the post. A lot has changed since then. Some things haven't for me.

Let's kick it around.

1) #22...Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee, 6' 3", 210...I've intended to change this pick the last two mocks. I cannot bring myself to do that. The only player who would make me change my mind is Patrick Willis and I think he'll be long gone. Our top 2 WRs are on the decline and well over 30. Our #3 guy could be lost to Free Agency. I just think ignoring WR with the 1st round pick is a recipe for disaster. Meachem is big, fast, has great character and will benefit from having 2 hard workers as mentors before it's his turn. There has never been a better situation for taking a WR than now and this kid is a cowboy.

2) #53...LaMarr Woodley, DE/OLB, Michigan, 6'2", 274...Bookend him with Ware, or move him up to DE in pass situations or the Nickel. We need more pressure on the QB. Here's a guy who can apply some. I'd like a return to the early 90's where we rotated D-line guys so we were always fresh. I like the idea of Ratliff, Spears, Canty, Hatcher, and Woodley coming at the QB along with Ware, Burnett, and Carpenter. Notice I didn't even bring up Ellis. I'm talking about or the next 4 or 5 years.

3) #87...Paul Soliai, DT, Utah, 6' 4", 344...NT is a need. Here's a guy who can anchor that position and who in a Nickel alongside a Spears, Ratliff, or Canty at DT will be hard to push backwards. A perfect replacement for Ferguson when he is ready.

4) #118...Zak DeOssie, ILB, Brown, 6'5", 250...He will contribute on Special Teams coverage units (he loves them), can Long Snap, is smart, is the son of a former Cowboys player, and fills a need. As much as I like Anthony Waters and think he will be a steal, I like this kid just as much. Either option will thrill me. It completes a 7 deep LB Corp that is versatile and football oriented.

5) #149...Allen Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern State, 6'4", 300...Big, strong, mean, and smart. Can definitely be that small school steal that we have capitalized on in the past.

6) #180...Courtney Brown, CB, Cal Poly, 6'2", 200...I don't know why he slipped down some draft boards, but he did. I'd be thrilled with him in the 6th round.

6) #185...Brandon Myles, WR, West Virginia, 6'3", 190...I can't deny his value. I can't deny in 3 years he could be the #2 WR and a good bookend for Meachem. Don't look past his stats. West Virginia is a run happy offense, but when they need to throw the ball this kid goes and gets it.

7) #193...Jordan Palmer, QB, UTEP, 6'5", 235...Against my better judgment I listened to those who whined about me taking John Beck too early in every draft because we have other needs. I still believe he is the 3rd best QB in this draft, and is the smartest choice for this team. That said, Palmer fits my elitest pedigree hopes agenda. Hopefully my waiting until the 7th round will appease the gators.

7) #215...Nate Ilaoa, FB, Hawaii, 5'10", 245...He catches the ball, he knows where the endzone is, and will dare a defender to get in front of him. Can be a FB or the 3rd RB, maybe even a goal line guy if Barber becomes the primary carrier.

7) #218...Scott Stephenson, C, Iowa State, 6'3", 297...Fills a need for backup Center and can also play some Guard. Is smart and has good intangibles which mean his upside is good.

As always I invite criticism and comments. I will respond to most because this is fun. Rip it apart and tell me how crazy I am if you wish.

My previous versions.

FIRST
1) #22...Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee, 6' 3", 210
2) #53...Dan Bazuin, DE/OLB, Central Michigan, 6' 3", 266
3) #87...John Beck, QB, BYU, 6' 2", 215
4) #118...Josh Beekman, OG, Boston College, 6' 2", 313
5) #149...Chris Henry, RB, Arizona, 5' 11", 230
6) #180...Paul Soliai, DT, Utah, 6' 4", 344
6) #185...Courtney Brown, CB, Cal Poly, 6' 2" 200
7) #193...Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame, 6' 5", 215
7) #215...Nick Leeson, LS, Va Tech, 6' 2", 255
7) #218...Nick Folk, K, Arizona, 6' 2", 225

SECOND
2) #53...Justin Blalock, OG, Texas, 6'4", 329
3) #87...Dan Bazuin, DE/OLB, Central Michigan, 6' 3", 266
4) #118...John Beck, QB, BYU, 6' 2", 215
5) #149...Doug Datish, C, Ohio State, 6'5", 295
6) #180...Michael Bush, RB, Louisville, 6'3", 247
6) #185...Joe Newton, TE, Oregon State, 6'7", 257
7) #193...Anthony Waters, ILB, Clemson, 6'3", 245
7) #215...Bo Smith, CB, Weber State, 5'10" 193
7) #218...Jeff Samardzija, WR, Notre Dame, 6' 5", 215

THIRD
2) #53...DeMarcus Tyler, DT, North Carolina State, 6'2", 305
3) #87...Daymeion Hughes, CB, California, 6'2", 188
4) #118...John Beck, QB, BYU, 6' 2", 215
5) #149...Allen Barbre, OT, Missouri Southern State, 6'4", 300
6) #180...LeRoy Harris, C, North Carolina State
6) #185...Anthony Waters, ILB, Clemson, 6'3", 245
7) #193...Laurent Robinson, WR, Illinois State, 6'2", 199
7) #215...Selvin Young, RB, Texas, 5'11", 217
7) #218...Dante Rosario, TE, Oregon, 6'4", 250

carphalen5150

Reaction score
I can't argue with any pick except for Meachem. I'd rather have Jarrett, Bowe, and Ginn over him. Other than that it is solid.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would take this draft.

I am not really high on Woodley but really I can live with not really being high on one pick when I like so many of the others.

However I could also substitute other players for the first round pick and still be happy with your 3rd round and beyond picks.

I think there are some good quality players on that list.

Whether they are future starters down the road or role players I just like them.

Plus I guess we have to be realistic and figure that not all of them will make the team but still like the looks of that list.

Good Job.:cool:

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
There are several things I like about this mock. It addresses most needs and there isn't any over reaching.

Waiting until the 6th round for a CB makes sense to me. If you aren't going to pull the trigger very early in the draft to get a CB with top flight talent, best to wait until the second half of the 2nd day. I'd rather get a top CB prospect this year, but there is always next year.

COWBOYSNUM1

Reaction score
Great job Hos. I would be happy with this draft. I have 4 of the same picks in the same spots. ;)

Even though this mock is closer to mine, looking back, I think I like your 2nd mock best. If we get Meacham in the 1st, Blaylock in the 2nd, Bush in the 6th, and Waters in the 7th, then my head might :explode:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
carphalen5150;1462400 said:
I can't argue with any pick except for Meachem. I'd rather have Jarrett, Bowe, and Ginn over him. Other than that it is solid.
I can live with any of them, I like Meachem best.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1462405 said:
I would take this draft.

I am not really high on Woodley but really I can live with not really being high on one pick when I like so many of the others.

However I could also substitute other players for the first round pick and still be happy with your 3rd round and beyond picks.

I think there are some good quality players on that list.

Whether they are future starters down the road or role players I just like them.

Plus I guess we have to be realistic and figure that not all of them will make the team but still like the looks of that list.

Good Job.:cool:
I could be just as happy with a Jamaal Anderson or Anthony Spencer in the 1st round with Anthony Gonzalez or Sidney Rice in the 2nd for a DE/OLB & WR top 2 rounds.

I really like Dan Bazuin too, but think he goes late 2nd or early 3rd.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ZeroClub;1462417 said:
There are several things I like about this mock. It addresses most needs and there isn't any over reaching.

Waiting until the 6th round for a CB makes sense to me. If you aren't going to pull the trigger very early in the draft to get a CB with top flight talent, best to wait until the second half of the 2nd day. I'd rather get a top CB prospect this year, but there is always next year.
That was my thinking as well. Address the coming need at WR or CB for one, then be patient on the other. I almost took Josh Wilson, the CB from Maryland in the 2nd but I had to address pass rush and NT on Day 1. I just felt that was more important at that point. Plus I really like Courtney Brown.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
COWBOYSNUM1;1462419 said:
Great job Hos. I would be happy with this draft. I have 4 of the same picks in the same spots. ;)

Even though this mock is closer to mine, looking back, I think I like your 2nd mock best. If we get Meacham in the 1st, Blaylock in the 2nd, Bush in the 6th, and Waters in the 7th, then my head might :explode:
Did I copy you man? I apologize. I'd say great minds think alike, but I'd be lying about myself. :D

Actually, I ws influenced by your Mock a bit, but I didn't realize how much until you said this. I just really thought yours was solid and it helped me adjust some of my thinking. I like my 2nd one too.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Very good job. Allof those picks are good ones at good value. Although, I am not too high on Woodly due to his lack of speed, he does get to the qb. Any way, I like this draft. Very solid.

COWBOYSNUM1

Reaction score
Hostile;1462444 said:
Did I copy you man? I apologize. I'd say great minds think alike, but I'd be lying about myself. :D

Actually, I ws influenced by your Mock a bit, but I didn't realize how much until you said this. I just really thought yours was solid and it helped me adjust some of my thinking. I like my 2nd one too.
:lmao2: I was going to lie about myself and say great minds think alike.

Glad you thought my mock was solid. That was my 1st mock ever and that was what I was shooting for.

BTW, I noticed we were having a 1st round mock contest, but what about having a 7 round mock contest just for Cowboy's picks.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bigdog;1462471 said:
Very good job. Allof those picks are good ones at good value. Although, I am not too high on Woodly due to his lack of speed, he does get to the qb. Any way, I like this draft. Very solid.
Woodley is the grit my teeth pick for me. I like him, but not as much as I like other guys. I think we need pass rush, and I really like Anthony Spencer, but he won't be there in the 2nd. If we could trade down a little, get Spencer, a WR in the 2nd, and add a pick that would allow me to have John Beck like I want...I'd do it so fast my own head would spin.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
COWBOYSNUM1;1462488 said:
:lmao2: I was going to lie about myself and say great minds think alike.

Glad you thought my mock was solid. That was my 1st mock ever and that was what I was shooting for.

BTW, I noticed we were having a 1st round mock contest, but what about having a 7 round mock contest just for Cowboy's picks.
Not a bad idea on a 2nd contest.

If that was your first Mock you need to keep at it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Best.

Mock.

Ever.

.......Spears/Ratliff.....Soliai/Stanley.....Canty/Hatcher

Woodley...........DeOssie...........Carpenter.............Ware

Young and talented. 7+ potential pro bowlers. The havok they would cause might even make Keith Davis look decent.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hmm. No corner until the 6th round. Ouch.

Two WR's. Interesting.

Not big on Woodley... I think his arms are to short to be an effective pass-rusher at the pro-level.

Glad you got off the "Beck-kick". :)

Still prefer the kid from Boise State.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1462632 said:

Two WR's. Interesting.

Not big on Woodley... I think his arms are to short to be an effective pass-rusher at the pro-level.
His arms are 33". That's not that short. Dwight Freeney has shorter arms. Shawn Merriman's arms are the exact same length (32-7/8").

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1462632 said:

Two WR's. Interesting.

Glad you got off the "Beck-kick". :)

Still prefer the kid from Boise State.
I'm not off the Beck kick though. Just had to do a Mock without him in it. As I said in a previous post, I'd actually love to trade down from 22 and grab Anthony Spencer from Purdue and gain a pick which would allow me to get Beck and fill these other needs. I'd then grab a WR in the 2nd...Anthony Gonzalez, Sidney Rice, or Jason Hill.

Beck is a potential NFL stater, I can't say I believe some of the other prospects are anything more than backups. I don't find anything wrong with that like some do. Backups have extreme value to me.

I almost took a CB in the 2nd again, but that ignores pass rush or NT. You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt;1462668 said:
His arms are 33". That's not that short. Dwight Freeney has shorter arms. Shawn Merriman's arms are the exact same length (32-7/8").
Yeah, but can those guys rush the passer?

:eek:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;1462668 said:

I stand corrected on the arm length thing. After I posted that (while waxing the car :)) it struck me that it wasn't Woodley I was associating short arms with.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1462746 said:
I stand corrected on the arm length thing. After I posted that (while waxing the car :)) it struck me that it wasn't Woodley I was associating short arms with.
You missed a spot.

shortbus-46967.jpg

:grin: