My all time favorite play in Cowboys history!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This should be a fun thread. I'm not going to participate any more than just to read all the posts.

To old farts like me, there have been so many it would be impossible to name my top 10!

I will say that winning the first Super Bowl in team history was full of great plays I will never forget.
Yep

The first was the best. Lilly’s 29 yard sack was definitely a highlight for the ages.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unfortunately some of the highlights that stick with me are the heartbreaking championship defeats.

Bart Starr QB sneak in Ice Bowl.
Colts O’Brien’s kick in SB V.
Jackie Smiths drop in SB XIII
The Catch in 81 Championship
The interference call in 94 championship
Dez catch that wasn’t.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You are not old you just have more experience. :)

this reminding me of a joke by George Burns he said: when I was a boy the dead sea was only sick..
The one I enjoy the most when George on his 100th birthday was asked what his Dr thought of his 2 martinis and cigar every day said “my Dr is dead”. Lol

Meaning of course he outlived his Dr.
So, obviously don’t quit what’s working:)

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Probably not all-time but fun ones

Romo to Holley capping a pretty cool story

Dak to Beasley was an amazing throw and catch

Romo to Williams vs Seattle

Knotamus

Reaction score
I must admit.. I’m not sure this is my all time favorite play, this is one of the more memorable plays that had me elated.
When everything seemed to be going wrong for Dallas, they end up winning in OT against a 49ers team that lost in OT by 3points in NFC championship game.

This game had it all.. from the Miles Austin gravity defying stretch for a TD (& later to leave the game due to.. wait for it.. a pulled hamstring) to Dan Bailey’s missed FG. The best part.. Tony Romo, who earlier in the game was knocked out with a broke a rib and punctured a lung, trotted back on the field and demanded back in the game. He went on to connect with reality star Jesse Holley for a 70+yrd bomb to allow rookie Bailey to put the game away. Enjoy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
As far as the greatest plays. And being old enough to witness them all I’d have to begin with those early years with Meredith to Bob Hayes as we changed how defenses played. Those were all a joy to watch as we felt Tom was building something special. Just sorry Don didn’t hang around long enough to earn a Ring. I still believe besides Roger our greatest QB.

Then of course Roger winning it all starting his first year. 70’s still the best era ever and Roger greatest player in Cowboys history. He accomplished so much starting only 9 seasons.
True Champion on and off the field. !

And the early 90’s Jimmy brought us so much joy again after the longest void since the struggles in expansion years.

Unfortunately, since has been mostly a nightmare for us long time Cowboy fans. The worst era in our history.

Ring Leader

Reaction score
I thought the force out rule was introduced in the 80s but looking it up. I wonder because you see Vikings players point down at the sideline after the official ruled it a catch.

Such a great image in your signature. Roger was fixin' to let 'er rip big time.

staubach1.jpg

SaltyNovice

CowboysRangers
Reaction score

This one either, Larry is the GOAT!!!

I remember everyone of the plays mentioned on this thread. And they all bring back some great memories and feelings. But I have to admit when I read the original question. This play came rushing into my mind. The hail mary, Emit's rushing with a injury for records, Bob Lilly chasing Griese in the Super Bowl. And many, many more but this one was first in my brain. I was really impressed with Larry Allen and became a big fan. And he never let us down that I no of... Give credit to the boys that normally don't get any - that is one strong / fast man. Impressive...

408Cowboy

Reaction score
1992 NFC CHAMPIONSHIP game against San Francisco. I have never been that nervous when Aikman trotted out on the field and there was a little over 4 minutes left and we were up by 4. I was praying we would just run the ball and eat up the clock but Jimmy wanted to score. For some reason I didn't want that ball in the air but they did it anyway and Harper was off to the races. This is my all time favorite play in Cowboys history........

First game I ever went to. Nothing will top it.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
#51's goal line T.D. DENIAL ( Ken Norton Jr.)
*I absolutely luv'd seeing that play when it went down*

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Unfortunately some of the highlights that stick with me are the heartbreaking championship defeats.

Bart Starr QB sneak in Ice Bowl.
Colts O’Brien’s kick in SB V.
Jackie Smiths drop in SB XIII
The Catch in 81 Championship
The interference call in 94 championship
Dez catch that wasn’t.
I don't mean this in a bad way but it explains a lot.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I was in Air Force basic training in my barracks watching the Hail Mary game with 49 other men, many from New York and Minnesota.

They were harrassing me bigtime just before the pass, calling the Cowboys losers, Texans queers, etc.

When Drew ran in Rogers bomb in the last seconds you could hear a pin drop until my brain digested what just happened. Then I screamed.

The Vikings were hands down the best team that season and the Cowboys beat them with 12 rookies contributing.

.....the best play hands down.

LLLOOOLLL, love that 3rd line.

GMO415

Reaction score
1992 NFC CHAMPIONSHIP game against San Francisco. I have never been that nervous when Aikman trotted out on the field and there was a little over 4 minutes left and we were up by 4. I was praying we would just run the ball and eat up the clock but Jimmy wanted to score. For some reason I didn't want that ball in the air but they did it anyway and Harper was off to the races. This is my all time favorite play in Cowboys history........

I call that "The Catch 2.0"

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We were playing the Jaguars in 97 and it was 2nd and 5 on our own 43 in the first half. We ran off tackle with Emmitt for 3 yards setting up a 3rd and 2. I don't remember if we converted but I'll never forget that play.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
That one was very satisfying after some lean years vs the Eagles.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Such a great image in your signature. Roger was fixin' to let 'er rip big time.

staubach1.jpg
great pic. And I like those old blue jerseys much more than these more commercialized ones we use today.

When I found it, I was initially looking for a photo that showed those old blue jerseys because I too like those better than our current blues and wish they were used as our classic throwback jerseys a few times a year. Unfortunately, the Colts not only have that blue but they've now co-opted that font too.

Ring Leader

Reaction score
When I found it, I was initially looking for a photo that showed those old blue jerseys because I too like those better than our current blues and wish they were used as our classic throwback jerseys a few times a year. Unfortunately, the Colts not only have that blue but they've now co-opted that font too.

My favorite blues as well. The Navy, now, is almost black. Not nearly as cool as the 70s blues we rocked.

dckid

Reaction score

Can I get a 1000 likes? Man I loved that team, that swagger, that TEAM in every sense of the word!!!
Speed, power. I put that Cowboy team against anyone. To me a top 5 team all time.