My (biased) thoughts on Martellus Bennett

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I understand many here are angry over this pick, so I thought I'd share some insight on a Cowboys pick that I actually know personally.

As many of you know, I'm a senior this year at Texas A&M. I actually knew Bennett and hung out with him several times in college, and I'll start off by saying this: He is one of the best people and personalities you'll ever meet. Not only is extremely funny, but he was always the first guy to practice and the last guy to leave. He's a great guy to have in your locker room.

Now, onto his abilities. He is a freakish athlete. He was a second team all-state basketball player in HS if that tells you anything. At 6'7", he can jump out of the building. He is also an excellant blocker, in fact his best highlights in college were of him pancaking DEs and OLBs. The only knock on him is his speed, but he makes up for it with his great hands. Had he been in an offense where he was properly utilized (he played in an option offense at A&M), he would have likely been a first rounder. He also caught about half of his passes split out as a WR.

The guy is a FAR. FAR better player than Fasano, I can assure you.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;2054997 said:
I understand many here are angry over this pick, so I thought I'd share some insight on a Cowboys pick that I actually know personally.

As many of you know, I'm a senior this year at Texas A&M. I actually knew Bennett and hung out with him several times in college, and I'll start off by saying this: He is one of the best people and personalities you'll ever meet. Not only is extremely funny, but he was always the first guy to practice and the last guy to leave. He's a great guy to have in your locker room.

Now, onto his abilities. He is a freakish athlete. He was a second team all-state basketball player in HS if that tells you anything. At 6'7", he can jump out of the building. He is also an excellant blocker, in fact his best highlights in college were of him pancaking DEs and OLBs. The only knock on him is his speed, but he makes up for it with his great hands. Had he been in an offense where he was properly utilized (he played in an option offense at A&M), he would have likely been a first rounder. He also caught about half of his passes split out as a WR.

Yeah, but he has the lamest catch phrase I've heard:

"Tellus plus velocity, that's tellocity.";)

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I agree. And as you know, I'm no A&M fan.

This should be an upgrade over Fasano.

I like our day one.

gbrittain

Reaction score

I hate the pick, unless this guy is good enough to put Jason Witten on the bench...I will not hold my breath.

Fasano was not great by any stretch...he was a mistake to begin with, but he was serviceable. so we draft a short two years ago, trade him and another player for a 4th, and turn around and draft another TE. I can not envision how that makes sense to anyone.

Hate, hate, hate the pick.

BigDPlayer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was shocked at the pick at first. After reading his stats and bio and now your personal recommendation, I am STOKED for this pick!!

A devastating blocker?? Opening holes for MB3 and Jones on third down sets? I like that idea. A lot.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
May be a good player, I don't know. We didn't need to spend another pick on a TE in the second round.

Thank you Jerry and Larry.

jbsg02

Reaction score
Could be a BIG red zone weapon with his height and leaping ability

Hong2221

Reaction score
I'll trust you, the guy better work on his technique in blocking! I am not mad about the 2nd round pick, I am more bad about the pick at 22. If we wanted a WOW player, we could've picked Jamaal Charles!

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Can he work as a lead blocker? Can he catch the ball effectively for a TE when lined up out wide like a receiver?

He's got to do at least one of those to be somewhat effective if Dallas uses 2 TE sets and probably needs to be able to do both.

YAKUZA

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
HeavyHitta I respect your opinion but I doubt he has the speed to be what they want. Unless they are going to use him around the goalline and have him outjump everyone. Or play more of a short to intermediate game. Does he really have the speed to split the seam?

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I am always down for some optimism so heres to hoping he is the second coming of Antonio Gates.

lkelly

Reaction score
Teams like the Giants get their backup TE (and potential future starting TE) in the late rounds. Dallas spends second round picks every few years to line up a guy behind their Pro Bowl TE.

Guess which philosophy the unwashed masses agree with.

But that's OK, we spent our highest pick on a RB in over a decade on a guy that even the owner agrees isn't a full-time back. Good to see that we're back to the days of picking backup type players. Oh how I missed the late 90s.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
If you had told me three days ago that we'd trade Fasano (and Akin Ayodele) for a fourth-round pick, then draft another tight end in the second round, I would have been very surprised.

But when our 61st pick came up and the best players left on Goose's board were Jamaal Charles (36th), Kevin Smith (44th) and Martellus Bennett (46th), with no wide receiver until Andre Caldwell at No. 64 (the 12th-best player on the board), I actually expected Bennett to be the pick.

dwmyers

Reaction score

I don't think the pick is the issue so much as the CRUMMY TRADE that facilitated this pick. The player may be ok, but was the trade of Ayodele and Fasano for a 4th the best way to bring this guy in?

FCBarca

Reaction score
That's all well and good that he's a good guy and is a good worker but on paper this 2nd round pick doesn't make a lot of sense....There seemed to be universal anger on using a 2nd round pick a couple of years ago on Fasano only to find him to be a decent backup TE who could block and play hard...Traded for half of a 4th round pick and then we see the 2nd round pick this season again used for a blocking TE?...What was the point, in the end?...To draft another blocking TE with a 2nd round pick and have to wait a couple of years to see him do what Fasano did if even marginally better?

Seems like a waste of a pick on top of a waste of a trade.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score

I appreciate you insight......I feel much better after reading your thread.......he is tall and strong with great hands.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
dwmyers;2055045 said:
I don't think the pick is the issue so much as the CRUMMY TRADE that facilitated this pick. The player may be ok, but was the trade of Ayodele and Fasano for a 4th the best way to bring this guy in?

i doubt seriously it was planned that way. he was just BPA when our pick came up.